Author Topic: Kobe vs. Lebron  (Read 4468 times)

Kobe vs. Lebron
« on: June 02, 2008, 10:28:49 AM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
I think the celts did an amazing job against lebron. Until the last game lebron was defended almost perfectly. He did though make most of what the celts gave him , passed the ball well and his teammates did nail some key shots throughout the series to make it go to 7.

But during the crucial parts of the games when you need your main man to score, lebron couldn't save the cavs because the celtics played amazing defense against him.

Even though kobe could drive and shoot equally well unlike lebron who could drive much better(they are still equally very good), I think that if we can stop kobe just like we can stop lebron we can stop the lakers.

Re: Kobe vs. Lebron
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 10:38:41 AM »

Offline mpapic

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
This is where the proverbial "supporting cast" comes into play though... You are not off on your analysis of Kobe vs. LeBron as individuals, but as teammates they are different. Kobe is much more dangerous because the players that surround him are much much better than LeBrons. This means that Kobe will operate in more space and will have more options than LeBron did.

Also I am not so sure that LeBron is significantly better than Kobe on drives. Remember that LeBron's jumper is ok at best, so Pierce could sag off of him just a bit, that option won't be available against Kobe. Pierce is fast enough to contain a LeBron drive, but Kobe has a quicker move off the dribble (not as powerful, but Pierce is not going to be bothered by power/strength since he is as strong as anyone in the league). Those two things combined (speed + jump shot) will make Kobe a tougher match up for Pierce.

The Celtics can go with someone else on Kobe, such as Tony Allen, Ray Allen or Posey. Posey will essentially have the same problems as Pierce, and unlike Pierce he is not going to get the calls from the refs. Putting Allen on Kobe won't work because Kobe will take him in the paint, also something that LeBron couldn't do (biggest difference between LeBron and Kobe is ironically Bron's absolute lack of a post up game).

Anyways it is not all that important for Celtics who can guard Kobe. Boston is by FAR the best defensive team in the league and they didn't get there by playing individual defense but amazing team defense. They will force Kobe into a lot of problems, funnel him into KG and Perkins, etc. Therefore the question will be whether Kobe can stick to using his teammates in a wise way and let them beat the Celtics or whether he will go at it alone and get burned the way the Lakers lost to Detroit in 2004. I think the latter is a very possible scenario.

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 10:41:54 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Interestingly enough it seems that LeBron already gets more calls than Kobe.  We saw what happened in our series with him.  It seemed like in the Spurs series Kobe had to get mauled to get to the line.  This has nothing to do with who is better, but everything to do with the results of the game unfortunately.  This is a trend I'd like to see continue.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 10:45:08 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
lebron is a much much better passer.. and is tougher to guard on the drive bec of his very athletic frame.. one of the few that paul has had trouble against.. kobe, nah.. its kobe who has had trouble with paul

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 10:45:55 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Not sure why you think Kobe is faster than Lebron but he isn't.  Watch them play head to head.  

Kobe will be much harder to contain though.  Boston just Lebron shoot the ball and he missed his shots (until game 7).  Kobe is a much better shooter so Boston won't be able to give up that space.  

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 11:07:23 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
The biggest difference (against LeBron) in how Kobe attacks is that Kobe catches the ball in different spots on the floor. The C's defense didn't react as well to LeBron moving from the perimeter to the post or midpost, luckily for Boston LeBron took care of the rest by having very little to offer on those spots.

LeBron is bigger, quicker, stronger. He's a better penetrator too. I disagree about the passing, I think Kobe is a superior passer and has a better handle. Kobe is a lot smarter and has a better jump shot.

Kobe's supporting cast is the biggest difference from playing the Cavs to playing the Lakers. Kobe actually has the teammates to make an overzealous helping defense pay. There's no Ben Wallace on the Lakers. The Lakers shooters are better, their player movement is better, their ball movement is better. Their starting bigs are very tough to defend off the ball (can shoot, drive, pass, finish in traffic, very smart, long, athletic and active).

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 11:07:34 AM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
Remeber also other than fisher and vujacic the lakers are not that good in shooting compared to what the cavs had. I think as long as the celts play kobe tight(to prevent drive ins and shooting) and the rest not guarding too tight letting them try to beat you by jumpshot , we should dominate them on defense

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 11:12:38 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
i dunno about passing.. bron has the ability to find teammates when hes doubled.. i know assists are not good enough to base it but.. after watching  the lakers since the shaq era its what i saw(my dad looooooooooooooves the lakers..)

and yeah it certainly didnt help the cavs that their best 3 point shooter was injured for the later parts of the series

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 12:17:05 PM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
Lebron's got more power (probably speed), Kobe's got more finesse and shake. Kobe's much craftier, unpredictable and a much better shooter, and he has learned to pick his spots a lot better. He's not near the athlete Lebron is, but he's more fluid. There games are entirely different, but Kobe will likely be tougher because he can hit jumpers and has a knack for hitting big momentum shifting shots.
"Suit up every day."

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 02:07:44 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
I really don't recall kobe playing extraordinary against us ever. Paul pierce has blown up against the lakers though.

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 12:47:25 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
Kobe maybe a better shooter, especially incredible in off balance shooting but the guy is small potatoes in defense compared to lebron. He look very scared to just to try to dunk it on us (doesn't want to get embarressed on national tv) where lebron is fearless.

Lebron might not be as complete as kobe on offense yet but his overall games better

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 12:48:19 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Lebron is physical.

Lebron is a better leader and teammate. 

Lebron did a better job defending against the celtics.

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 12:50:43 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
LeBron is far more of a "complete" player than Kobe is, far more physical and dominating, and when it all comes down, I'd much rather have a LeBron on my team than a Kobe ... any day.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 12:58:22 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
I think a lot has to do with loyalty,and Kobe seems to lack it at times.He couldn't be loyal in his marriage,why would i expect any better in his relationship with players.He gives me the feelings,that he would trade you in or throw you under a bus,if something came alone appeared better,in a heartbeat.So,his fake actions about,him and teammates are all one bunch of goffy guy theory is hogwash,in my view.On the otherhand,Lebron,has had his moments in the beginning,of appearing a little selfish or one dimensional,but it could have been immaturity.Lately,he seems to be more team oriented,and genuine about his team being all on the same page.Kobe is still all about Kobe.Lebron is the better player,and person.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 01:03:25 PM by jay_jay54 »

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 01:17:29 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Lebron's got more power (probably speed), Kobe's got more finesse and shake. Kobe's much craftier, unpredictable and a much better shooter, and he has learned to pick his spots a lot better. He's not near the athlete Lebron is, but he's more fluid. There games are entirely different, but Kobe will likely be tougher because he can hit jumpers and has a knack for hitting big momentum shifting shots.

I agree.

But right now Lebron is a consistent jump-shot away from being the best player in the league. If he develops thats and keeps on making good playoffs runs, then in a few years the Jordan vs. James discussions will make sense. Jordan vs. Kobe ones just don't.