Author Topic: Magic on the Finals  (Read 5472 times)

Magic on the Finals
« on: June 01, 2008, 07:14:56 PM »

Offline LakerRings

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
This clip is from a local LA station.  Pretty cool, whichever side of the series you are on. Enjoy.

http://cbs2.com/local/Lakers.Celtics.Los.2.737619.html

In it, Magic talks about how he thinks the Lakers have 3-5 more years to play at this level.  Got me wondering how Celtics fans feel about the longevity of their team - how long do you all think you can play at this level?  Be nice to think we could have a genuine rivalry again, beyond just this year. Don't know much about your team's contracts/ages/free agency etc.

One more thing to share.  Bird and Magic shot a splitscreen commercial for the Finals this weekend.   :o

Can't say how I know, but it's a fact.

Re: Magic on the Finals
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 07:32:11 PM »

Offline LakerRings

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
47 views and not a single response?  ???

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 07:40:31 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I think the Magic v Bird commericial is great that is  a great use of marketing to fans who remember the "good ole days".

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 07:47:44 PM »

Offline mpfitz34

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
That's really cool.  You can really see Magic's enthusiasm.  I hope we get more reaction form more legends from both sides.  Magic really nails the series too with his analysis.

As for our window here.  I feel like as is we have a 2-3 year window where we can be a championship level basketball team.  But who knows what we'll do with trades and free agency.  I'd like for us to be in the hunt for LeBron when his deal comes up, I'm not sure if that works financially.

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 07:54:13 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I was just talking to a good Laker friend of mine about the renewed rivalry.  The general consensus is that the Lakers will be back in the Finals several times over the next 3-5 years.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I believe the Celtics can have a similar run over that time period. When Ainge traded for KG and Ray, there were no expectations of getting to the Finals until next year. Most people thought of this KG-RA-PP thing as a 2-3 year proposition. This was before guys like Rondo and Perk and Big Baby and Powe really stepped up this year and proved that they can be real contributors to this team. If the young guys continue to grow and develop, I honestly believe that the Celtics could have a similar 3-5 year window with the Lakers. But the key will be having young guys really step up as KG, Ray, and to a lesser extent Pierce, begin to age.

The competition in the East is still pretty limited. Detroit is done until they rebuild with Stuckey and Maxiell. Orlando is up and coming, but I don't see them challenging Boston. The biggest threat is Cleveland, depending on whether they can trade to get some help for LeBron.

I really hope that we can have 2-3 Celtics/Lakers Finals in the next few years. I think it can happen.

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 09:15:30 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Got me wondering how Celtics fans feel about the longevity of their team - how long do you all think you can play at this level?

It depends on whether they're able to -- and choose to --  cash Ray's expiring contract in for a younger star.  If so, we're looking at maybe 4 more years, since I think KG and Pierce both have a lot left in the tank.  If they let Ray expire, I think we have 2 more seasons.  Rondo is going to get better, but I don't think he, Pierce, and KG would be enough on their own to keep things going.

One more thing to share.  Bird and Magic shot a splitscreen commercial for the Finals this weekend.   :o

Can't say how I know, but it's a fact.

That's gonna be awesome.  I'm not sure how Pacers fans feel, but if they begrudge Bird supporting another franchise, they can get over it.  I hope all of the all-time Celtics and Lakers greats show up at some point during the Finals.  The only question is, who does Bill Sharman root for?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 09:50:17 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
While I would LOVE to see Larry do something for Boston I'm not so sure that Indian people should "get over it." He is the man running their team now and he can't do something to p--- off their fans anymore then they are now.
That said I don't see why they should really care that much. Everyone knows who he played for and what he means to Celtics fans and NBA fans.

I'd like to see him and all the Celtics they can get at one of the home games this series.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 09:51:54 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
If there is a Magic/Bird split screen commercial, it will be epic, and I am willing to call it the greatest commercial ever, sight unseen.

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 09:55:15 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

the bird/magic splitscreen will be cool, but not as good as this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJEa2c_939o

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 09:56:18 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
While I would LOVE to see Larry do something for Boston I'm not so sure that Indian people should "get over it." He is the man running their team now and he can't do something to **** off their fans anymore then they are now.
That said I don't see why they should really care that much. Everyone knows who he played for and what he means to Celtics fans and NBA fans.

I'd like to see him and all the Celtics they can get at one of the home games this series.

Didn't you just basically say "I disagree that Indiana fans should get over it, but it's not that big a deal, so they should get over it"? ;)

The only past Celtics / Lakers great that I can see as being controversial is McHale.  Minnesota fans might not take kindly to watching him celebrate KG winning a championship (although, frankly, McHale got a pretty good return for Garnett.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 10:33:57 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Lakers have a potential dynasty on their hands over the next 5 or so years.

The Celtics will likely need to re-tool on the run at some point but should be a contender for 3-4 years. Unlike the Lakers, there's nobody in the C's conference that's really coming up. Orlando already messed up their cap situation and limited their team. Detroit are on the way down. Cleveland has some expiring assets but so do a lot of teams, they've made their team worse and have a tough road to being able to compete with the Celtics. Toronto are in a similar situation with expiring contracts and hopes of being able to cash them in. Atlanta are poor team with very little hope of ever contending for a title (thank you Mike Bibby and your untimely contract acquisition). Phily don't have the talent to contend. Chicago have some players but not enough of the championship caliber variety. Looking across the rest of the lottery there's no team that's really positioning itself for the future, maybe Miami. The East is a joke right now, several GM's just keep putting a hurt on their own teams.

So the Celtics should be able to dominate the East for a couple of years easily enough. They make good decisions personnel wise and they can extend the window nicely.

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 10:45:49 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Good interview - thanks for the link.

I'm really surprised to hear Magic say that no one on the Lakers can guard Paul Pierce.  While I agree with him, for some reason it surprised me to hear him say that Pierce was the biggest match-up problem.

Instead, he said that the play of Odom, KG, Gasol, and Allen will decide the outcome.  I like our chances in that one, as I think KG will harass Lamar if he's guarding him and I really believe, as much as I am not a Perk fan, that Perk can guard Pau 1 on 1 rather effectively.  Pau's best strength is his passing, especially in the Triangle Offense, so we are going to have to both cut off interior weak-side passing lanes as well as the strong-side perimeter shooter.  I'm sure Doc and Tibs are on top of that.

Also, Pau and Lamar are notorious chokers under physical play and pressure.  The same has been said about KG (and more recently and to a lesser extent Allen) so it will be interesting how it plays out.

I also agree with Magic that it will be either a 6 or 7 game series.  I still think we will lose a game in Boston, take 2 in LA, and close it out in the Bean in 6.

Go Celtics!
God bless and good night!

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 10:53:22 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Here is the lowdown on the new commercial:

<Scene> A country setting, where a portly, tall prematurely haggard 50 year white man stands in a field.  A limo pulls up, and it's tinted window lowers to reveal a portly, 50 year old black man's fat face.

Man 2:  I heard Converse made a special shoe for a failed GM.

Man 1: And I heard Converse made a special shoe for a failed coach who is now a mumbly, part time TNT commentator when he's not too busy hawking $6 coffees.   

Man 2:  Do they make sweatsuits in XXXL?

Man 1:  Do you think we can snag a Nutrisystem for Men commerical, or do we have to fatten up a bit more?

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 11:00:56 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
I don't see the West shaping up that way in the next 4-5 yrs.I see the Hornets, even the Spurs possible winning it again,in the next few yrs.The Hornets,i feel will definitely be there for a few years to come,contending very heavily with the Lakers.The Lakers will always be one of the top 2 teams,but winning the West is going to be tough to dominate by 1 team for 4-5yrs.,IMO...also,you have a young,and talented Portland team,getting better every yr. 

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 12:21:37 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
While I would LOVE to see Larry do something for Boston I'm not so sure that Indian people should "get over it." He is the man running their team now and he can't do something to **** off their fans anymore then they are now.

Didn't you just basically say "I disagree that Indiana fans should get over it, but it's not that big a deal, so they should get over it"? ;)

The only past Celtics / Lakers great that I can see as being controversial is McHale.  Minnesota fans might not take kindly to watching him celebrate KG winning a championship (although, frankly, McHale got a pretty good return for Garnett.)
I kind of did.
Just saying that while I wouldn't have a problem with it I could see why some could. If Larry was the GM of my home team (and he should have been by the way) I'd have no problem with it at all. But I know that many would and the talk radio would blast him for it.
Peace through Tyranny