Author Topic: What happened to fans running onto court after winning a Championship???  (Read 2894 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I was just watching NBATV and they were showing the Celtics winning all those championships. Every time the Celtics won a championship the fans stormed the court. I was just wondering what year did fans stop doing this ? I assume its for safety reasons and so the organization doesn't get sued for someone getting hurt . Any info on this would be appreciated.

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I have always wondered it as well but I think it would be an pretty cool if the celts were to win it this year the fans ran on the floor. Doubt that would happen because of safety reasons.

Offline Cooldude5t5

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 36
i think ron artest,stephen jackson, and the pistons fans made sure you will never see this again

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
i think ron artest,stephen jackson, and the pistons fans made sure you will never see this again
yea probably true, it's weird because college football fans can still run onto the field after a big upset and bring down the goalposts. I don't see what the difference is, a football crowd is actually more dangerous because there are so many more people on a 100 yard football field running around and goalpost coming down around a crowd.

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I don't want to be the rebel here, but it's entirely plausible to run onto the court if the C's win the championship. There aren't enough security guards in a single arena to stop 18,000 fans from rushing the court. I have firsthand experience with this. I witnessed a certain favorite college team win a national championship in mens' volleyball not all that long ago. There were security guards that tried to discourage and prevent people from rushing the court, but one security guard can't stop more than 1 or 2 people at a time. Unless the entire Boston police force is guarding the court (unlikely), a couple hundred brave souls could easily overwhelm the Garden security people and open the floodgates for everyone. And it can absolutely be done in a civil manner and without posing great injury risk.

If Boston wins the title and they do it in the Garden, I would love to see the fans rush the court - it would only be fitting. The problem I see isn't so much the security guards - the problem is that the fans in the lower levels have to start the rush and I'm not confident that the suit yuppies in the lower levels have that kind of enthusiasm. Maybe I'm wrong. I haven't actually been to a game in the Garden yet (I have tickets to game 2 - I'm flying out from Oregon), so maybe the Boston crowd is different. I sure hope so. But if it's like other NBA arenas, I don't know if anyone will pull off a court rush.

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I think it could only probably happen if they won it on a buzzer beater or something completely crazy like that.  Basically only in a situation where the outcome is in doubt up to the final seconds...otherwise people would be slightly calmer, I think.