Author Topic: Perk and KG: Do we know who their gonna guard?  (Read 13519 times)

Re: Perk and KG: Do we know who their gonna guard?
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2008, 07:47:59 PM »

Offline MLG5

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
the c's will not put ray ray on kobe, especially not to start the game. he may cover him sparingly and on switches but that is it. ray is not known for his defense (though he's not as bad as some would have you think) but your best defender needs to guard kobe and for us that man is pierce. PP did a great job on lebron. even though the entire team did well on helping PP with lebron, he deserves alot of credit. kobe is gonna get his 25-30 a game. pierce just needs to keep kobe from getting more than that and prevent kobe from getting a significant amount of those points in the 4th quarter.

someone mentioned in this thread earlier about ray matching up with radmonovic. i initially thought the same. then i realized radmonovic was 6'10" and didn't like the matchup. then i realized that radmonovic averages less than 4 rebounds a game (which is pretty poor for his height) and every LA game i've seen (which is admittedly not many) i've only seen radmon behind the 3-line, never on the post. i've come 360 degrees and like the matchup again. obviously LA would want to take advantage of this size differential but is radmon even remotely effective on the block? i have no idea but i'm assuming no...anyone else know?

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2008, 08:12:06 PM »

Offline GoldenThroat

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
odom is smaller and less talented than lebron's 6-9 250 frame, how did that work out on defense for paul?

oh thats right, he toasted him outside of game 7, and what he didn't do on defense that game, he did right in lebrons grill on offense.

This series will be a war, both teams are excellent, but one of the things im least concerned about is the matchup on odom. The jazz didn't have a guy who could stay with him, denver quit on itself, the spurs he looked good.

The match up im concerned with is kobe, since neither of our guards is a good match up and pulling pierce out of the front court will open up a laker mis-match with ray ray.

LeBron & Odom are apples and oranges. The former is one of the most ball dominant players in the league, operates almost exclusively on the perimeter (at least to start a play), and a vast majority of the plays in the Cav's offense are initiated by him. That's no how Odom is used at all. LeBron might outweigh Odom by a little, but Lamar is taller and A LOT longer. He's also one of the best rebounders in the league, coming in 7th in the league in this department this year. If you want to stick your small forward on that guy while your center is hanging out at the free throw line, be my guest. Pierce is a very good defender, but he'd be wasted on Lamar, who doesn't do much 1-on-1 play like LeBron, and exploited on the glass.

Odom struggles with guys that are similar to him. Long, lean, athletic players. That's why KG always kills him. You'd be crazy to put someone other than the Big Ticket on Odom. You shouldn't be concerned with Odom if that's who KG is guarding. Otherwise? He's a big mismatch for both Perkins & Pierce.

Woodstock Libertarian...thanks for the kind words.

In regards to Gasol, he is definitely an effective low post player, it's just not in the way that someone like, say, Al Jefferson is. Gasol's as much of a threat to hit the open man for an easy shot as he is to score. Since he also understands passing angles and has good hands, he gets himself in a position to score on an easy layup. That's not really post play, but it doesn't make him a perimeter either.

Long story short, the Lakers are at their best when Kobe penetrates because:

1) Obviously, he's a great finisher
2) Our big men (Odom, Gasol) are both excellent passers & cutters, and
3) We have very good shooters once the defense rotates.
4) Kobe can effectively draw fouls/get guys in foul trouble.

I guarantee you that the Laker's goal is to get penetration, because everything comes from that. If you guys can play defense similarly to the way that Bowen did, I think you win the series. Make him jump shooter. He'll still kill you, but you'll lessen everyone else.

That's easier said than done though.

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2008, 11:07:03 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
KG should be on Odom
Perk should be on Gasol

Putting Perkins on Odom's is madness. KG is the type of defender that can take him out of the series. Putting Perk on him gives him a mismatch and makes him a factor. It gives Kobe a consistent second/third scorer. Someone the C's have to be concerned about. Odom has long come up limp against Kevin. Just let KG limit Odom, it'll make a huge difference to the Lakers offense.

As for Gasol I don't see any big differences between Perk and KG in terms of defending him. KG would do a better job but not by a big enough margin to make me re-consider sending KG Odom's way.

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2008, 10:43:15 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I don't think I'd want to put Pierce on Odom, if KG covered him in the two games they played this year, I want KG on him because Odom didn't do anything in those two games.  Pierce can cover Radmanovic.  He's not a big threat down low.  I'd like to keep Perk on Gasol though because I don't think he's quick enough to deal with Radmanovic or Odom, plus I like Perk banging him around.
Actually, I recall Pierce shutting down Odom this year.  I don't think the matchups works for this to happen again but anyone who doubts whether PP can shut down Odom, just check the tapes.  No doubt at all.

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2008, 12:15:19 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
KG should be on Odom
Perk should be on Gasol

Putting Perkins on Odom's is madness. KG is the type of defender that can take him out of the series. Putting Perk on him gives him a mismatch and makes him a factor. It gives Kobe a consistent second/third scorer. Someone the C's have to be concerned about. Odom has long come up limp against Kevin. Just let KG limit Odom, it'll make a huge difference to the Lakers offense.

As for Gasol I don't see any big differences between Perk and KG in terms of defending him. KG would do a better job but not by a big enough margin to make me re-consider sending KG Odom's way.

My sentiments exactly. Odom might as well not be playing with KG guarding him. That's a match-up where the C's destroy the Lakers.

And say what you want, but Perkins is underrated as a defender. He's tough and instinctive, and can block shots.  With the Celtics help defense, keeping Gasol out of the post will force Kobe to drive, which is to the Celtics advantage given Perk's ability to come back and cover, and KG coming from (what against Odom will surely be) the weak side.