Author Topic: Perk and KG: Do we know who their gonna guard?  (Read 13584 times)

Re: Perk and KG: Do we know who their gonna guard?
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2008, 05:53:12 PM »

Offline GoldenThroat

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Gasol is pretty much a perimeter guy....

According to 82games.com, 34% of Gasols attempts were "jump shots", 64% were "inside shots", and 53 shots were dunks

Ok.

Fair enough.

He gets a lot of wide open dunks...with the Lakers.

Let's see if he gets the same looks against the Cs defense.

Gasol has a long history of coming up lame in the playoffs, just ask my brother the die-hard lakers fan.

Also keep in mind, the Ls looked like NBA killers before and after they played the Celtics twice this season. Not so much when they played the Celtics.

Until they show me they can beat the Cs with their seemingly effortless games against everyone else, I won't be impressed.

Until Gasol shows up and shows up in the post against the Cs, he's a perimeter guy to me.

And if I'm wrong and he's a low-post behometh?

We have this guy named perk to stick on him.

Gasol doesn't get many points in the low post. A lot of his buckets come from Kobe's penetration. He has a great understanding of passing angles, and puts himself in a position where Kobe can deliver the ball to him for an easy finish.

Often times he'll catch the ball in the mid post, and face up. He will generally try to take slower footed defenders off the dribble, and is decently effective at this. With his back to the basket, he likes going to the middle for a running/jump hook.

Even more than that, however, he's looking to pass. The Lakers will often times run their offense through Gasol, with him in the post and screens being set for weakside shooters. He & Odom have also developed a solid chemistry and you'll see Odom cutting to the hoop if he senses that an interior defender is cheating. Gasol's superb at hitting the cutter. If he's not the best passing big man in the league, he's right up there.

The Lakers are a VERY different team than the one that you guys trounced. Including the playoffs, the Lakers are 34-7 with Gasol in the lineup. Since we got him back from injury, we have played 23 games, and 18 of them have been against teams with 50+ wins. 

The Lakers are 19-4 in that stretch. :o

Completely different team from the one you guys destroyed.

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2008, 06:00:20 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
After seeing what joe johnson and Rip Hamilton did to Ray, and what PP did to Kobe I'd let Ray guard him in game 1 but be ready to switch fast. I'd put KG on the best interior scorer and Perk on the 2nd best. That leaves basically Rondo on Fisher and Ray on Rad. There has to be lots of helping out, lots of different looks, lots of substitutions, and a lot of taking it to the Lakers on the offensive end. Try to get guys in foul trouble. Hope to God someone like Ray gets hot from outside making things a lot easier. Force the tempo. Force them to adjust to you. If they go in scared worrying about a chess match they're done. If they want to win they have to turn it into a brawl and punch em in the teeth, where the Lakers are shocked like Apollo Creed vs Rocky. The secret weapons need to be Posey, Powe, and Perk. Attack their weaknesses (their skinny guys up front. Can Gasol defend? Let's find out), not their strengths. We all know Kobe can defend. We all know Kobe will basically be Jordan. We need to make sure Pippen, Rodman, and Kukoc are playing for us. Then maybe we can show Phil Jackson is no Red.

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2008, 06:03:42 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I like Perkins on Gasol and KG on Odom.  Odom is more athletic than Gasol, so it makes sense to put the more athletic Garnett on him.  Moreover, while Odom's jump shot isn't great, it's better than Gasol's.  Thus, Perkins can give Gasol some space more easily than he could give Odom space. 

As for the rest of it, I like Pierce on Kobe.  Yes, that does mean that the 6-5 Ray Allen has to guard the 6-10 Radmanovic.  But if the Lakers decide they want to "exploit" that mismatch, all the better for us.  The Lakers can run isos for Vlad all day for all I care if it means that the ball is out of Kobe and Gasol's hands. 

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2008, 06:04:23 PM »

Offline Woodstock Libertarian

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63

According to 82games.com, 34% of Gasols attempts were "jump shots", 64% were "inside shots", and 53 shots were dunks

Ok.

Fair enough.

Gasol has a long history of coming up lame in the playoffs, just ask my brother the die-hard lakers fan.

Also keep in mind, the Ls looked like NBA killers before and after they played the Celtics twice this season. Not so much when they played the Celtics.

Until they show me they can beat the Cs with their seemingly effortless games against everyone else, I won't be impressed.

Until Gasol shows up and shows up in the post against the Cs, he's a perimeter guy to me.

Gasol doesn't get many points in the low post. A lot of his buckets come from Kobe's penetration. He has a great understanding of passing angles, and puts himself in a position where Kobe can deliver the ball to him for an easy finish.

Often times he'll catch the ball in the mid post, and face up. He will generally try to take slower footed defenders off the dribble, and is decently effective at this. With his back to the basket, he likes going to the middle for a running/jump hook.

Even more than that, however, he's looking to pass. The Lakers will often times run their offense through Gasol, with him in the post and screens being set for weakside shooters. He & Odom have also developed a solid chemistry and you'll see Odom cutting to the hoop if he senses that an interior defender is cheating. Gasol's superb at hitting the cutter. If he's not the best passing big man in the league, he's right up there.

The Lakers are a VERY different team than the one that you guys trounced. Including the playoffs, the Lakers are 34-7 with Gasol in the lineup. Since we got him back from injury, we have played 23 games, and 18 of them have been against teams with 50+ wins. 

Good stuff, Chick (that's the reference, right).

Here's my retort:

Maybe the Lakers will yawn and laugh their way to the title. If so, hats off.

But keep in mind, it was Tony Allen who started at the point in LA. You know, the guy who can't dribble the ball? Rondo was on the shelf.

You guys had Andrew Bynum. You remember him, I'm sure. He's the next Kareem, Shak and wilt all rolled into one. He won't be here this time.

The Cs have since added PJ Brown and Sam Cassell. Not huge additions, but additions nonetheless (in fact, I say we can't evaluate them until we see what they do in the next two weeks).

So all of the roster changes don't break in favor of  the Ls.

Most importantly, the Lakers now will only be considered ANY different from the Lakers then if they beat the Cs.

Otherwise, its just the Cs beating down the Ls...again.

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2008, 06:11:10 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2008, 06:31:02 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
What we can't do is this. It won't work. Anyone who has played sports or done martial arts would know the difference between the two

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=22052497

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2008, 06:48:48 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
yeah except they lost.  So just like that except we'll win.

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2008, 07:10:42 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Ok.

Fair enough.

Here's my retort:

But keep in mind, it was Tony Allen who started at the point in LA. You know, the guy who can't dribble the ball? Rondo was on the shelf.

You guys had Andrew Bynum. You remember him, I'm sure. He's the next Kareem, Shak and wilt all rolled into one. He won't be here this time.

The Cs have since added PJ Brown and Sam Cassell. Not huge additions, but additions nonetheless (in fact, I say we can't evaluate them until we see what they do in the next two weeks).

Most importantly, the Lakers now will only be considered ANY different from the Lakers then if they beat the Cs.

Exactly.  What people seem to forget is that the Lakers were playing very well immediately before and after both games against the Celts.  I recall them being on a good streak before the second game.  Yet, neither game was close.  Gasol for Bynum nakes them better offensively but worse defensively.  The Celts will be shocked by how much easier it will be to score against LA than Det or even Cle. 

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2008, 07:12:56 PM »

Offline GoldenThroat

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2

Here's my retort:

Yeah, you caught the reference.  8)

The difference between Bynum & Gasol is that Bynum got very few touches in the post. Almost all of his buckets were off of screen and rolls, putbacks, and just being a lot bigger than everyone else. Since the C's are tremendous at guarding the pick and roll, and Perkins isn't going to be out-muscled by Bynum...you guys were able to severely limit his game. What Gasol brings to the table is a lot different.

Sure, Rondo was on the shelf, and that can't be ignored. But if playing Sam Cassell means that you guys play Eddie House less, I'd be THRILLED.

I think PJ Brown could be huge in this series. He's an excellent interior defender, and I think he'd do a better job on Gasol than Perkins will. KG will obviously have no problem with Odom, so I think the C's can be very successful against us with a KG/PJ front court combination. 

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2008, 07:17:56 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
i expect pierce to guard odom alot to be honest, after the job he did on lebron. That will leave KG on pau.

Ok, and my dog Perk will guard whom?

My thoughts as well. If you'd like to pull your center out behind the 3 point line to guard Radmanovic, be my guest. Just one less rebounder under the hoop.

Also, Odom's too big for Pierce. Combining that matchup with having Perkins on the perimeter, the Lakers would get a ton of offensive boards. No way Pierce could keep Odom off the glass.

odom is smaller and less talented than lebron's 6-9 250 frame, how did that work out on defense for paul?

oh thats right, he toasted him outside of game 7, and what he didn't do on defense that game, he did right in lebrons grill on offense.

This series will be a war, both teams are excellent, but one of the things im least concerned about is the matchup on odom. The jazz didn't have a guy who could stay with him, denver quit on itself, the spurs he looked good.

The match up im concerned with is kobe, since neither of our guards is a good match up and pulling pierce out of the front court will open up a laker mis-match with ray ray.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2008, 07:28:26 PM »

• Jaylen Brown

Ok.

Fair enough.

I am not trying to pick on you Woodstock Libertarian, just challenge the perception of Gasol being a perimeter player.  I think the Lakers will continue to deploy him down low and I agree that against our big guys, he is going to have a tough time, even PJ may be able to cover him.  That is why I went on to make the point that I think the Celtics need to "think big" and force the Lakers to respond instead of thinking small and playing the Lakers game (and this was not directed at anything you posted but to other posts).  No one on the Lakers after Kobe worries me offensively or defensively, including Pau.  If Pau tries to go back to the perimeter, the perimeter is going to be awfully crowded with Odom, Radmanovic, Kobe, and Fisher all on the perimeter.

Didn't the Lakers Fan Golden throat already concede in a subsequent post that Gasol isn't really a low-post menace?

There is a difference between cutting to the hoop, catching passes and dunking or laying it when you are wide open and being a "low post player."

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2008, 07:29:21 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I don't think I'd want to put Pierce on Odom, if KG covered him in the two games they played this year, I want KG on him because Odom didn't do anything in those two games.  Pierce can cover Radmanovic.  He's not a big threat down low.  I'd like to keep Perk on Gasol though because I don't think he's quick enough to deal with Radmanovic or Odom, plus I like Perk banging him around.
do it

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2008, 07:30:50 PM »

• Jaylen Brown

Ok.

Fair enough.

You seem like a good guy, Chick.

Brown and Cassell could both bark in the Finals (though Cassell is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY overdue to come out of his slump, and, if he doesn't, like you say, that's not all bad if Doc goes with House)

I would also agree that getting Gasol, but losing Bynum, is probably more impactful than getting Rajon back and adding brown and cassell.

But who knows.

This is why we play the games...

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2008, 07:31:23 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I don't think I'd want to put Pierce on Odom, if KG covered him in the two games they played this year, I want KG on him because Odom didn't do anything in those two games.  Pierce can cover Radmanovic.  He's not a big threat down low.  I'd like to keep Perk on Gasol though because I don't think he's quick enough to deal with Radmanovic or Odom, plus I like Perk banging him around.

if kg gaurds odom id be shocked if pierce doesn't gaurd kobe. Ray can at least bother rad, and puals to good of a defender to waste on a spot up 3 point shooter while kobe runs wild on ray ray.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2008, 07:40:34 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
yeah except they lost.  So just like that except we'll win.

Well yeah, but only cause there was a traitor, plus it was one part of a longer campaign that they ultimately won