Author Topic: Perk and KG: Do we know who their gonna guard?  (Read 13521 times)

Perk and KG: Do we know who their gonna guard?
« on: June 01, 2008, 02:36:12 PM »

Offline Woodstock Libertarian

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
Hopefully this won't get thrown into a more generally thread entitled "match-up," but do we know for sure who will guard whom in this series?

I am more and more convinced that the Cs win, road or home, when perk plays a big role, especially down the stretch. More importantly, he administered beat downs against the purple twice this year.

But that was against bynum, a traditional post guy.

Who will perk guard in this series?

Watching some of the Detroit series again,  it does appear that perk defended sheed pretty well away from the post.

But that still doesn't tell me whether perk will guard gasol or odom.

Do we know one way or the t'other?

Re: Perk and KG: Do we know who their gonna guard?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 02:38:48 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
i expect pierce to guard odom alot to be honest, after the job he did on lebron. That will leave KG on pau.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 02:41:52 PM »

• Jaylen Brown
i expect pierce to guard odom alot to be honest, after the job he did on lebron. That will leave KG on pau.

Ok, and my dog Perk will guard whom?

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 02:42:18 PM »

Offline mpfitz34

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
I think you've got put KG on Odom and take your chances with Perk on Gasol.  The matchups in this series as a whole are going to be tough for us.  Ray Allen on Kobe is scarier than Perk on Gasol.

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 02:43:23 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
There's no way really that Perk can guard Odom, I really don't see it. If they move Perk away from Gasol for KG to guard Gasol, I think we'd be best served by going small with either having Powe or Baby on him (though I don't like these two on Odom either, but they can be mismatch on the other end) or alternatively bring Posey on to guard him. And as the poster above said, I'd be comfortable with Pierce giving it a shot, and have Powe, Davis, or Posey on the SF... I'm not that worried about their SF situation.

Perk might be able to do a fairly good job on Odom if he's simply facing up to him, but the problem will come from off the ball movement more than anything.

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 02:45:07 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Probley be a weak side guy in the paint/ cover Pau at times.

and as to the matchups being tough fo rus, thier much tougher on the lakers. they have no one for pierce except kobe, and if kobe helps on pierce they have no one for ray.

pau is also not a good defender, and KG should eat him alive.

its really a simple series, they have the better backcourt with fisher and kobe, we have the better front court with KG, pierce and perk.

who ever establishes thier will wins. we want to play front court ball, there going to want to play gaurd ball.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 02:48:07 PM »

• Jaylen Brown
My gut says KG on Gasol

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 02:48:38 PM »

Offline GoldenThroat

• Xavier Tillman

My thoughts as well. If you'd like to pull your center out behind the 3 point line to guard Radmanovic, be my guest. Just one less rebounder under the hoop.

Also, Odom's too big for Pierce. Combining that matchup with having Perkins on the perimeter, the Lakers would get a ton of offensive boards. No way Pierce could keep Odom off the glass.

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 02:58:20 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I can picture a lot of Posey in this series, maybe even starting, and have Perk come off the bench. KG on Gasol, Posey on Odom, Pierce on Rad, Ray on Kobe, and Rondo on Fischer.

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 03:09:00 PM »

Offline mpfitz34

• Xavier Tillman
I can picture a lot of Posey in this series, maybe even starting, and have Perk come off the bench. KG on Gasol, Posey on Odom, Pierce on Rad, Ray on Kobe, and Rondo on Fischer.

I can see lots of Posey at the 4 in this series too.  I do think you have to Start the regular 5 though, we don't want to screw up the rotation and Posey is better as a guy who brings defense and jump shots off the bench.  We won 66 games and got the finals with this starting five, I think we have to stick with it.

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 03:09:53 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

I don't think Doc would do that, though I wouldn't mind seeing it - the Lakers have no traditional post players, so Perk's D is wasted in many ways - I think the key is if Perk can establish himself inside, as a help defender and with superior rebounding, the Lakers will have to adjust to us, instead of the other way around - then we see more Turiaf or even a little Mbenga which eliminates one of the Lakers offensive guys - KG can really guard anyone in the league, so I'm not worried about him
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 03:13:18 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

I can see lots of Posey at the 4 in this series too.  I do think you have to Start the regular 5 though, we don't want to screw up the rotation and Posey is better as a guy who brings defense and jump shots off the bench.  We won 66 games and got the finals with this starting five, I think we have to stick with it.

yeah its key for Posey to come in a ways into the game to continue the defensive intensity on Kobe when a Pierce eventually can't sustain it (and you slide him over on Vlad to hand out on the perimiter) - one thing I'd like to see is Posey only on the floor when kobe's out there, I think its a waste to keep him out there when #24 goes to the bench (unless he's unconscious from 3 or something like that)
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 03:18:24 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Game 1: We start off by having Perk guard Odom.

Reasoning Why: Because we want to force Odom to the outside and make him a jump shooter, if he is on the box he can get easy scores.

Game 1: KG on Pau

Reasoning Why: because KG will know what Pau is going to do, these two are very similiar in their games and skill set.

Cons: I do think that KG loses out weigh wise against Pau and Perk serves as a better frame by frame matchup with Pau, but he isn't quick enough to guard Pau on the low box. KG also has the quickness to guard Odom, but I prefer no on guard Odom on the perimeter and kinda encourage Odom to take the outside shot, challenged of course.

If it don't work...you change it in Game 2 (or even throughout the course of Game 1)

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 03:32:06 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Regarding Allen on Kobe, my recollection is that Allen has always done a good job on Kobe for some reason.  I don't have any numbers to back it up but I just want to state that it is not as much of a mismatch as people think.

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 03:55:26 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Regarding Allen on Kobe, my recollection is that Allen has always done a good job on Kobe for some reason.  I don't have any numbers to back it up but I just want to state that it is not as much of a mismatch as people think.

In head to head matchups, Kobe scores 23.6 ppg on 42.8% shooting, with 4.3 rebounds and 4.6 assists.  Ray scores 20.6 ppg on 43.4% shooting, with 5.1 rebounds and 5.1 assists.  Surprisingly, Ray has more steals and fewer personal fouls than Kobe in those matchups.

Link.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions