Author Topic: Boston Fans.. A question from a Laker Fan.. Who do you hate More???  (Read 13590 times)

Offline Jloyola

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
The Lakers or the Yankees?

and why?

please post with intelligence

Re: Boston Fans.. A question from a Laker Fan.. Who do you hate More???
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 02:11:26 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I don't know what to tell you.  I'm neither a Bostonian, nor a baseball (and by extension Red Sox) fan.

But its the Yankees and my reasons are simple.

1)I live in the NY/NJ area where everyone LOVES the Yankees and I have to hear about it constantly
2) George Steinbrenner. Don't like him

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 02:17:43 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I hate both of them pretty equally.  New York is more of a constant, "in your face" rivalry, where we seem them 19 times per season, plus playoffs.  The Lakers are more a rivalry from afar; there are a lot fewer meaningful games, but the passion is just as intense.

I think a lot of the sustained anti-Lakers sentiment among Celtics fans comes from Kobe Bryant.  He is a smug, arrogant player, the type of guy (much like Arod) who people love to hate.  That fuels the rivalry, when otherwise it may have dwindled a bit due to the absence of any recent Finals matchups.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 02:19:01 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I personally don't measure the difference, and just regard them both as "The Enemy". That said, while I love basketball a bit more than baseball, (and while it's still NBA season), I'd have to say that, for me, it's probably the Lakers. But the history and roots of the Yankees/Red Sox animosity goes much deeper for most, and I try to remain aware of that, too. I guess it depends on your perspective, but believe it or not, I hate the Pistons just as much ... so take heart!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 02:21:29 AM »

Offline CJD4051

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
Not even close, the NY Yankees, Boston is a baseball town people you cant deny it and we've been the two most constant teams in baseball, raising the  bar to a new group of up and coming fans in the rivalry, the Celtics as much as I  love them have been a second their team in Boston for years until this year and have just made an impact to the city in general over the last few months, one story that shows this is when the Pats were driving to win a Super Bowl in the playoffs and every talk radio and newspaper was talking about the Sox getting Arod, Sox all day   

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 02:23:16 AM »

Offline Jloyola

• Neemias Queta
Alright How about this?

Would you rather have game 7 tickets to the final BOS vs LA or Yankees vs Bo Sox Game 7 (winner goes to World Series)

and you can only choose one.. 

* i throw in GREAT SEATs for either

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 02:29:01 AM »

Offline ERod86

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
The Lakers, Celtics, and Yankees are the gold standard for all sports.

The red socks fans win 2 titles in 90 years and all of a sudden they deserve to be talked about with the greatest franchises.

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 02:30:31 AM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
Easy choice for me, game 7 tickets to the final BOS vs LA... I have played hoops on a fairly high level for years, only recently retired. I have never played organised baseball, so i guess that's my bias as to why...
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 02:38:12 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Can I say that I hate the
Pistons the most?  ::)

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 02:39:24 AM »

Offline 2008champs

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 0
Honestly, I think the hate/rivalry between the Lakers and Celtics has gone way down from the heights it was at in the 80's (and of course the 60's).

I'm an Orioles fan so I don't root for the Yanks very often (ironically, I am extremely loyal to the Celtics, but I hate the Red Sox), but I don't hate the Yankees either.

Off topic, but as a Celtics fan, I don't like to see the Lakers having the success they are now (best record in the West, took care of the Spurs in 5 games, etc.).  But as a basketball fan, I must confess that the Lakers have a wider window than we do.  They are this good now, and they'll get Andrew Bynum back next season.  That's an unfair frontcourt they'll have with Bynum and Gasol--size, length, and athleticism plus skills.  But it doesn't stop there cause at SF Lamar Odom is a 6'10" Point Forward.  At the point, they have a PG whom I have liked since his high school days, that being Jordan Farmar, and of course, they have Kobe.  Off the bench they have an energy big man in Ronny Turiaf, a smart PF/SF in Luke Walton, an underrated and athletic wing man in Trevor Ariza, and a nice combo guard who can shoot the ball in Sasha Vujajic.  And all of these players play well in Phil Jackson's triangle offense.

We have a good team now, but we'll be bogged down by age very soon and we don't have a lot of promising players to replace our Big 3.

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 02:42:04 AM »

Offline GoldenThroat

• Xavier Tillman
As I said on a Laker board once you guys clinched yesterday, this is exactly as God intended it. We have an entire generation of Lakers/Celtics fans that don't hate the other party, and we just can't have that.  ;)

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 02:42:35 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I'd take the Yankees, I'm struggling to think of too many players on this Lakers team that i legitimately dislike.
And I'd much rather see the Celtics game.

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 02:51:01 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Can I say that I hate the
Pistons the most?  ::)

TP, ACF! While I can't say I hate the Pistons the most, I can say without question that I hate them as much as the Lakers overall, (and more than any other team), and individually, (aside from Kobe), absolutely! (You've gained an ally with this post ... though I usually agree with you anyway, this put it over the top!  ;))
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 03:09:21 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i think the answer to this question is reflective of one's age.  for younger celts fans who have yet to experience a finals/championship, they have supported mediocre to poor teams their entire life, so the laker/celtic rivalry was non-existent, while the sox/yankee rivalry has been consistent thru their lives.

personally, i hate the lakers the most!  when i think of the lakers, i vomit in my mouth.  :-X

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 03:21:53 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Yanks, mostly cause of the fans.  

At least Laker's fans are into their team and watch the whole season closely.  Yankee fans don't realize baseball is being played until September rolls around and then they act like they are entitled to win every game.

Moving from New England to SoCal I now find many more hardcore NBA guys that I can debate a lot of these same topics with.  Back East, it felt like no one watched the NBA at all, everyone is all about NCAA.  Downside is of course, they are all Laker fans here.  Not to worry though, I am representing strong out here for us!