Author Topic: Lakers Fans, a few questions:  (Read 12278 times)

Re: Lakers Fans, a few questions:
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 05:52:50 AM »

Offline Jloyola

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
this also makes this series so "SPECIAL"; both teams sucked the past few years. I thought you guys got real screwed when you didnt land the #1 pick last year, but behold it turned out to be a blessing.

The thing i hate the most are haters! I cant believe people hate Kobe so much because he may or may not be better than Jordan! Guess What who Cares? It is going to make your life so much better if KObe is or isnt? I say this Just appreciate what this guy does!!! Its amazing. After reading so many Espn, Nuggets, Jazz, and Spurs boards its a shame people dont watch this guy play. People dont wanna gives this guy his due. Yeah I know he's not perfect by any stretch, but that doesnt take away his greatest he displays night in and night out. I guess watching his games got us spoiled. When an NBA scores 25-30pts a game, that was a great game for them, but when Kobe scores only 25-30pts people wonder if he got hurt or if it was a blowout. Kobe has given his Laker fans many moments such as dunking over Duncan, D Howard, Garnett, etc., being double/tripled team and hitting a fade-a-way 3 pt,

Even though those years of us squeaking in the playoffs, i must admit i had alot of fun watching those games (thank you HDTV) I remember reading a spurs board and the topic was "Was that one of Kobe's top ten games?" refering to the Game 4 win. I couldnt believe it! Thats not even one of his top 25! Just to name a few off the top of my head 81pt game, OUTSCORING Dallas in 3 quarters (Kobe 63 pts Dallas 62pts), the numerous times he had 50pts in the 3rd quarter but sat out the 4th, over 25 game winners/tiers, Kobe's season of avg 35pts a game to keep his team COMPETITIVE.

People think Kobe is selfish, but if they watched his games (not many have due to hating) Kobe Passed the ball ALOT, his teammates couldnt hit an open shot, inside and outside the 3pt line, some couldnt even covert a non contestant layup (Damm you Kwame Brown)! The funny thing is Kobe likes having a descent big man in the game with him; when Chris Mihm (remember him) was starting Kobe passed the ball to him alot, he was avg a double double until he got hurt (suckered us again Boston). That first year without Shaq sucked so hard, not only because we were losing it was because this team was so injury plagued (Kobe, Lamar, Mihm) and when at times (few) were on the court they were actually competitive! Then came along Smush Parker and Kwame Brown. I wonder how many GM's are salavating having these two guys as your STARTING POINT GUARD and CENTER; any takers? We'll gladly accept a six pack of Odoul's and box of Krispy Kream Donuts! The only positive thing that came out of this was the spectacular games I witnessed (sorry Lebron) at the Staple's Center and on my HDTV with TIVO. I guess this was a great thing even though we were not going to win the championship (we knew at the beginning of the season) 

This is why i call it a crazy year for some apparent reason these guys who couldnt hit an open shot; BEGAN hitting open shots (i suspect BALCO ;)). This young scrubs began to run the triangle offense with ease. Next thing you know, were in the finals again AND its against our arch rival Boston.

The same Boston Celtics whose fans a year ago were chanting "MVP" for a Kobe Bryant - A LAKER!  in BOSTON. I watched that game and Kobe gave you guys a Great Show (too bad Pierce didnt play) hitting fade-a-ways after another, hitting 40ft 3 pointer to beat the clock! You guys were extactic, and ever right so! You know what I dont even think that was his top 25 games! I never seen a opposing player get MVP chants in another city, thats just crazy. He got him in Sac, Atlanta, Bos, NY, NJ, and GS. 

I made the mistake of hating Jordan and not watching many of his games even though they were on (including finals) but i did catch the highlights and watch a few games later on. And must say I deeply regret it. Michael Jordan is amazing because all i know of him is watching highlights of his greatest games and maybe watching a full game from time to time. I kick myself wondering "if those are top games i wonder how is other games are?" too bad i wont get the chance to see them.

Its actually kind of sad if you think about it, alot of basketball fans will regret like i did not watching one of NBA's finest players to ever step on the court. i guess it goes to say, many fans never saw the greatest players at their time such as #33 Larry Bird amd #23 Michael Jordan due to hatred.
Everybody always talks about how great these players were, but i bet a alot more of them wished they watched more of their games. I Wish I Did  :'(

So Celtic Fans, Get Ready for an amazing FINALs

Scenario 1 - Celtics WIN a grueling 6-7 game series clinching their 17th championship widening their lead over the Lakers with only 14, denying Phil Jackson to surpass Red Arbach for most titles by a coach, Garnett, Allen, Pierce finally raising the deserved Larry O'Brien trophy that has denied them for so long while suffering long careers on horrible teams, at the same time give BRAGGING rights to their fans who have been suffering for about 20 years now!

Scenario 2 - Lakers WIN a grueling 6-7 game series clinching their 15th championship one more away from the Celtics, raising possible talks of Growing Dynasty with the return of Andrew Bynum next year, and giving Phil Jackson his non-disputed Coach of all Time?

Scenario 3 - Will Kobe Bryant (win or lose) perform to his expectations

So which Scenario do you want?

Well I guess their is ALOT on the line here for both CLUBS.

Round 1: June 5th at the Boston Garden

*i should give up my career and be a writer, lol. ;D

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 06:11:03 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
The same Boston Celtics whose fans a year ago were chanting "MVP" for a Kobe Bryant - A LAKER!  in BOSTON

Come on!  Do you really believe that?  Those weren't Celtics fans.  Those were Laker fans who were able to get tix because the C's won 24 games last year ... so tix weren't too hard to come by.

Did you ever go to a Clipper/Celtics game back in the day?  Larry! Larry! Larry! was all you could hear.  Those weren't Clipper fans though, those were C's fans.  Same thing.

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 09:31:13 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
I believe our starters and your starters will balance each other out in the series! We can debate all day which starting 5 is better, each having valid points but I believe the winner of the Finals is going to come down the BENCH!

Haha! You'd like for it to come down to the bench. Although we have you there too. There is no way the starters cancel each other out. We are head and shoulders above you guys. Celtics sweep 4-0

Every single position favors the Celtics except maybe Kobe who will show his true colors soon enough. He played team ball to get here but he will try to do it all himself on the big stage , especially with the ratings to be expected.
Not to mention Pierce and Posey can play Kobe tough enough as it is.

Can't wait till Thursday.

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 12:58:00 PM »

Offline GoldenThroat

• Xavier Tillman
I believe our starters and your starters will balance each other out in the series! We can debate all day which starting 5 is better, each having valid points but I believe the winner of the Finals is going to come down the BENCH!

Haha! You'd like for it to come down to the bench. Although we have you there too. There is no way the starters cancel each other out. We are head and shoulders above you guys. Celtics sweep 4-0

Every single position favors the Celtics except maybe Kobe who will show his true colors soon enough. He played team ball to get here but he will try to do it all himself on the big stage , especially with the ratings to be expected.

:o

Kendrick Perkins is better than either Gasol or Odom? The Boston bench is better than the Laker bench? Oooooookay.

Kobe's "true colors"? What does that even mean?

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 01:11:55 PM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
I think the matchups are pretty clear-cut besides Rondo/Fisher.

Perkins < Gasol
KG > Odom
Pierce > Rad
Allen < Kobe

The benches will be HUGE in this series. Absolutely cannot wait for Game 1. It will be great for the league.

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 01:34:22 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I can't speak for everyone else, but I don't like Kobe the person.  I respect Kobe the player.

I didn't like him:

1) whining until Shaq left
2)Whining until (Gasol or some other big free agent came).
3) Snitching on Shaq when he got in trouble (I'm not going any further than that)
4) His general arrogance

I actually feel bad for Kobe he is being anointed Kobe=Jordan and if the Lakers lose this series I can see the bandwagon writers saying Kobe is not so Jordanesque after all which would be the opposite of the truth.  He is the  closest thing to Jordan that we have seen (as a player)

As far as Kobe being better than Jordan.  I think he is a superior athlete (to Jordan).  Not sure yet if he is a better player, he's definitely a comparable competitor. But Jordan was 6-0 in the finals for his career.  Kobe is already 3-1 in the finals right now and he had Shaq when he lost the 1.  And Jordan's Bulls played against arguably better competition.

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2008, 01:58:49 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I can't speak for everyone else, but I don't like Kobe the person.  I respect Kobe the player.

I didn't like him:

3) Snitching on Shaq when he got in trouble (I'm not going any further than that)
4) His general arrogance

I actually feel bad for Kobe he is being anointed Kobe=Jordan and if the Lakers lose this series I can see the bandwagon writers saying Kobe is not so Jordanesque after all which would be the opposite of the truth.  He is the  closest thing to Jordan that we have seen (as a player)

As far as Kobe being better than Jordan.  I think he is a superior athlete (to Jordan).  Not sure yet if he is a better player, he's definitely a comparable competitor. But Jordan was 6-0 in the finals for his career.  Kobe is already 3-1 in the finals right now and he had Shaq when he lost the 1.  And Jordan's Bulls played against arguably better competition.

I fully agree with this, tp. 

As for the MJ/KB comparison, i feel bad for Michael on that.  Mike brought nothing but class to the game to be compared to such a self absorbed player with such a bloated sense of entitlement is kind of an insult.

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 01:59:29 PM »

Offline GoldenThroat

• Xavier Tillman

I didn't like him:

4) His general arrogance

Personally I think that the league has considerably more talent today than it did in Jordan's era, for three reasons. First and foremost is the influx of international talent. Ironically, a lot of this is BECAUSE of Jordan and him being such a mega-star that 12 year old boys all over the world wanted to "be like Mike". Well, a decade later, they're in the NBA. I believe there were 75 international players in the league at last count.

Secondly, there was a 6 year period where the NBA expanded by 6 teams. (Heat, Magic, Hornets, T-Wolves, Raptors, Grizzlies) That created about 75 roster spots that weren't there before, which resulted in about 75 guys that wouldn't have been in the NBA otherwise. That's a huge expansion in a short period of time, and it dilluted the talent pool. By comparison, the league has expanded by only one team (Bobcats) in the last 12 years.

Finally, to a lesser extent, basketball and football have received more elite athletes due to the declining popularity of baseball amongst younger generations in the past 20 years or so. When you combine this with the growth of the international game, there are A LOT more elite athletes playing basketball now than there were in Jordan's era.

I think that the idea that there was tougher competition in the 90's is just nostalgia. 

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 02:03:35 PM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29

:o

Kendrick Perkins is better than either Gasol or Odom? The Boston bench is better than the Laker bench? Oooooookay.

Kobe's "true colors"? What does that even mean?

You're speaking as if they are playing one on one. Collectively our starting 5 is much better than the Lakers starting 5.

Kobe's true colors is when it gets down to it he is going to take every shot and forget he has 4 team mates out on the court because his ego will dictate he MUST without fail be the hero. And when the Lakers lose he will throw them all under the bus.

House, Powe, Posey and PJ are better than Sasha and Luke and Farmar and whatever else nonsense they throw out there.

Sorry but Kobe is going to be awfully disappointed when this thing is over.

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2008, 02:11:15 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

I didn't like him:

4) His general arrogance

As for the MJ/KB comparison, i feel bad for Michael on that.  Mike brought nothing but class to the game to be compared to such a self absorbed player with such a bloated sense of entitlement is kind of an insult.

D Dub, I'm not sure how I feel about the MJ/KB comparisons overall at this point.  But I chime in now only to say that while I wish to no end that I could agree with the bolded statement above -- because I want to believe in that 'MJ as basketball saint' ideal -- it's worth noting that there has been plenty that has come out about him to the contrary.  I highly recommend reading both Sam Smith's The Jordan Rules and Michael Leahy's When Nothing Else Matters.  The former is the 'insider account' (a John Feinstein-style book, if your familiar with his work) of the Bulls' 1991 title season, and the latter is a similar all-access book through Jordan's comeback with Washington.  Both paints a startlingly flawed and human picture of His Airness -- it's a good reminded that he was, after all, another human being, both on the court and off.  I had read the Smith book several years ago and just re-started it to go through it again and found myself struck by the many parallels in personality between a young MJ and Kobe.  Just thought it worth mentioning, as I'm not as sure as I once was that the 'nothing but class' assessment is totally fair.  But I wonder if I'd be happier remembering it that way, too.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2008, 02:20:24 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

I didn't like him:

4) His general arrogance

D Dub, I'm not sure how I feel about the MJ/KB comparisons overall at this point.  But I chime in now only to say that while I wish to no end that I could agree with the bolded statement above -- because I want to believe in that 'MJ as basketball saint' ideal -- it's worth noting that there has been plenty that has come out about him to the contrary.  I highly recommend reading both Sam Smith's The Jordan Rules and Michael Leahy's When Nothing Else Matters.  The former is the 'insider account' (a John Feinstein-style book, if your familiar with his work) of the Bulls' 1991 title season, and the latter is a similar all-access book through Jordan's comeback with Washington.  Both paints a startlingly flawed and human picture of His Airness -- it's a good reminded that he was, after all, another human being, both on the court and off.  I had read the Smith book several years ago and just re-started it to go through it again and found myself struck by the many parallels in personality between a young MJ and Kobe.  Just thought it worth mentioning, as I'm not as sure as I once was that the 'nothing but class' assessment is totally fair.  But I wonder if I'd be happier remembering it that way, too.

-sw

Yeah, that's fair.  I guess Kobe throws it in the publics face a bit more maybe.  Besides sodomizing that chick, selling his team out on every possible media outlet this past summer showed a disrespect for the game itself that Jordan would have never stooped to.

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2008, 02:32:33 PM »

Offline GoldenThroat

• Xavier Tillman
You're speaking as if they are playing one on one. Collectively our starting 5 is much better than the Lakers starting 5.

You're the person who said "Every single position favors the Celtics except maybe Kobe", not me. And :D at the "maybe" qualifier before Kobe.

It's a specious argument anyway, Radmanovic generally plays less than Vujacic.

Kobe's true colors is when it gets down to it he is going to take every shot and forget he has 4 team mates out on the court because his ego will dictate he MUST without fail be the hero. And when the Lakers lose he will throw them all under the bus.

Gasol closed out Utah in Game 5 off of feeds from Bryant. Odom was huge in Game 4 of the Spurs series. I'll trust Kobe to come through down the stretch more than anyone on the Celtics. If it's a tie game with two minutes left...advantage Lakers. The Lakers just went 3-0 in close games versus the defending champions and by executing down the stretch. Forgive me for not being too worried about the mettle of the Celtics in comparison. 

House, Powe, Posey and PJ are better than Sasha and Luke and Farmar and whatever else nonsense they throw out there.

Hahaha. Okay, dude.

Sorry but Kobe is going to be awfully disappointed when this thing is over.

We'll see.

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2008, 02:40:48 PM »

Offline GoldenThroat

• Xavier Tillman
Yeah, that's fair.  I guess Kobe throws it in the publics face a bit more maybe.  Besides sodomizing that chick, selling his team out on every possible media outlet this past summer showed a disrespect for the game itself that Jordan would have never stooped to.

Jordan quotes:

"I hate being out there with those garbagemen. They don't get you the ball."

"They've got no idea what it's all about. The white guys, they work hard, but they don't have the talent. And the rest of them? Who knows what to expect? They're not good for much of anything."

"I know what's gonna happen. We'll wait until the last minute and then they'll say something like they couldn't get a deal done because of the cap or somebody pulled out at the last minute. It happens here all the time. I don't know why I'm surprised every year."

"He can't do anything with the ball. Don't give it to him." - Michael yelling at Paxson who passed the ball to Perdue

"You ever hear of a guy, six-eleven maybe and two hundred sixty pounds, a guy big and fat like that and he can't get but two rebounds, if that many, running all over the [dang] court and he gets two rebounds? Big guy like that and he gets one rebound. Can't even stick his [expletive] into people and get more than that...Big, fat, fat guy. One rebound in three games. Power forward. Maybe they should call it powerless forward." - Michael ripping Stacey King a new one

"He was scared in there and panicking. He just lost it when Stockton scored." - Michael on B.J. Armstrong's mental fragility

I'll let them stand up and take responsibility for themselves."

"We have to do some things. We need to make some changes."

"...I call them 'the Looney Tunes.' Physically, they were the best. Mentally, they weren't even close."

"He's scared. He's got no heart...Nobody told me that. If I had spoken up, he wouldn't have been here."

"I know I can recognize what to do, but I'm not sure they can."

"It's a hell of a lot easier to make Earl Monroe look good than it is Brad Sellers."

"I hope there's a jumpshot in there." - Michael to Stacey King who was walking into the locker room with a box

"They don't need a ticket to watch you sitting on the bench. They can go to your house for that." - Michael to Charles Davis who was sorting through his tickets for his family and friends

"Give me the [expletive] ball." - Michael to Doug Collins who drew up a play for Dave Corzine

"I hate when I have to read that in the papers the next day, that I couldn't do something. It wasn't my fault."

"You're an idiot. You've screwed up every play we ever ran. You're too stupid to even remember the plays. We ought to get rid of you." - Michael to Horace Grant

"If you [pass the ball to Bill Cartwright], you'll never get the ball from me."

"We're not winning because of talent. We're just beating bad teams."

"Headache tonight, Scottie?" - Michael asks Scottie, while showing him his 2-for-16 line

"It's probably a twelve-day. He needs two days to wake up." - Michael on a ten-day contract teammate

"Five more years and I'm out of here. I'm marking these days on a calendar, like I'm in jail. I'm tired of being used by this organization, by the league, by the writers, by everyone."

"They're not interested in winning. They just want to sell tickets, which they can do because of me. They won't make any deals to make us better. And this Kukoc thing. I hate that. They're spending all their time chasing this guy."

"If I were a general manager, we'd be a better team."

"Will Vanderbilt. He doesn't deserve to be named after a Big Ten school." - Michael on Will Perdue

"I want to prove the critics wrong...I want to see some serious moves from management, which I really haven't seen that much of yet, and I want to see more serious attitudes from my teammates this year when it comes to the playoffs. In the past, it's been more or less a joking thing, sort of a 'Well, we're here, so let's have a good time.'"

"I'm sure everything will be fine if we win, but if we start losing, I'm shooting."

"I know what I would do if I were coach. I'd determine our strengths and weaknesses and utilize them. And it's pretty clear what our strength is."

"Your boy doesn't want to play. I'm tired of bailing his [Swearing is not permitted at **********. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] out." - Michael yelling at Jim Cleamons about Dennis Hopson

"I don't know about trading a 24 year-old guy for a 34 year-old guy." - Michael questioning the Oakley trade

"He's causing me too many turnovers." - Michael on Cartwright's inability to catch

"Why the hell don't you ever set a pick like that in a game?" - Michael yelling at Perdue after also hitting Perdue upside his head (led to the institution of the private curtain for practices)

There is such an ABSURD double standard and application of revisionist history for Michael Jordan that I don't even know where to start. Jordan threw his teammates under the bus ALL the time. He was also a notorious adulterer and gambler.

Great, great, incredible player...but hearing people praise Jordan for his "class" or his ability to gel with teammates while chastising Kobe for the same thing BOGGLES MY MIND.

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2008, 02:48:21 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I didn't like him:

4) His general arrogance

Personally I think that the league has considerably more talent today than it did in Jordan's era, for three reasons. First and foremost is the influx of international talent. Ironically, a lot of this is BECAUSE of Jordan and him being such a mega-star that 12 year old boys all over the world wanted to "be like Mike". Well, a decade later, they're in the NBA. I believe there were 75 international players in the league at last count.

Secondly, there was a 6 year period where the NBA expanded by 6 teams. (Heat, Magic, Hornets, T-Wolves, Raptors, Grizzlies) That created about 75 roster spots that weren't there before, which resulted in about 75 guys that wouldn't have been in the NBA otherwise. That's a huge expansion in a short period of time, and it dilluted the talent pool. By comparison, the league has expanded by only one team (Bobcats) in the last 12 years.

Finally, to a lesser extent, basketball and football have received more elite athletes due to the declining popularity of baseball amongst younger generations in the past 20 years or so. When you combine this with the growth of the international game, there are A LOT more elite athletes playing basketball now than there were in Jordan's era.

I think that the idea that there was tougher competition in the 90's is just nostalgia. 

I think you are absolutely correct on this one. The overall level of talent was far less in the 90's than today. There is no way the Bulls would have won 6 titles if they had to play against the current Spurs, Lakers, Celtics, or Pistons teams. Their main competitors were mediocre. Those Jazz, Sonics, and Knicks teams would have no buisness competing for a title today.

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2008, 02:50:18 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I  generally agree with your assessment of talent in the 90's versus now, however let's look at the teams the Bulls faced and who the Shaq/Kobe Lakers faced.  You can be the judge.

First the Bulls

Bulls 3-peat (#1)

the Lakeshow: Magic, Byron Scott, Divac (and Jordan's college teamates) Perkins and Worthy I'm sure you know the roster well... ;D
Clyde Drexler's Trailblazers featuring Terry Porter, Duckworth, Buck Williams, Jerome Kersey, Cliff Robinson and Rick Adelman as coach (not a bad team)
Barkley's Suns: with Dan Marjele, Danny Ainge (LOL), Tom Chambers, and Kevin Johnson

3-peat (#2)

Supersonics: featuring PRIME Payton and Kemp and Detlef Shremp, Sam Perkins (again) and Hershey Hawkins
Jazz:  Malone, Stockton, Hornacek, Byron Russell and Greg Ostertag
Jazz (again) more or less the same roster

Now the Lakers

Pacers: Reggie Miller, Jalen Rose, Rik Smits, Dale Davis, Mark Jackson (I just have bring this up again SAM PERKINS...man this dude could not catch a break!) Chris Mullin, Al Harrington...wow on paper this was a loaded team.

Sixers: AI, Mutumbo, Aaron Mckie, Eric Snow and a cast of nobodies
Nets: Jason Kidd, Kenyon Martin, Keith Van Horn, Kerry Kittles, Richard Jefferson..gasp...Brian Scalabrine, and Byron Scott as Coach.

Last but not least....Kobe's one finals loss

Pistons: basically the same roster of the team we just beat (except younger and hungrier) replace McDyess with Prime Ben Wallace and weaker bench than they have now...seriously

My take: I think the Sonics had a weak bench but a very good starting five, Those Jazz teams had a drop in talent past Stockton/Malone but were well coached (Jerry Sloan) and had good schemes.

Of the teams the Lakers beat, only the Pacers were anywhere near as loaded as the teams the Bulls beat in the first three-peat and still might not have been good enough to beat the Jazz or Sonics in that era.

The Sixers were a great defensive team with no offensive punch past AI not even as good as the worst team the Bulls beat in the two 3-peats.

Those Nets were a decent team but again still not as good as the least talented team the Bulls beat.

And the Pistons well hey, they were good no arguments with that we just had a tough series against them.  

Have fun