Author Topic: Kobe to guard Rajon?  (Read 20246 times)

Re: Kobe to guard Rajon?
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2008, 05:03:19 PM »

Offline Cooldude5t5

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 36
Putting Kobe on Rondo would be wasting Kobe's defensive talents, I hope they do this. It only means that Allen or Pierce will torch whoever covers them. I highly doubt Phil will waste his best defensive player on the celtics worst offensive.

« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2008, 05:19:13 PM »

Offline GoldenThroat

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Putting Kobe on Rondo would be wasting Kobe's defensive talents, I hope they do this. It only means that Allen or Pierce will torch whoever covers them. I highly doubt Phil will waste his best defensive player on the celtics worst offensive.

This is what they did last series by having Kobe on Bowen instead of Ginobili. It helps the team defense more than anything.

« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2008, 05:21:30 PM »

Offline Cooldude5t5

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 36

This is what they did last series by having Kobe on Bowen instead of Ginobili. It helps the team defense more than anything.

oh really? I guess I havent watched enough Lakers. Nevermind then.

« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2008, 05:32:11 PM »

Offline GoldenThroat

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2

oh really? I guess I havent watched enough Lakers. Nevermind then.

No worries. That's why I'm here as well, to get a better feel for the Celtics, because I only caught about 20-25 games this year, and I'm sure you guys saw almost (if not) all of them.

And FWIW, I think you're going to see Sasha Vujacic on Ray Allen a lot of the time.

« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2008, 06:06:50 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I totally agree that Kobe on Rondo would be insane and I hope they do it. 

If Rondo decides he wants to penetrate, Kobe can't keep up with him.  That's not a knock on Kobe, but Rondo's arguably the quickest player in the entire league.  Moroever, if this is the Laker's plan to take the C's out of their offense, all the better.  Allen or Pierce can bring the ball up with Fisher or Radmanovic guarding them. 

More importantly, Ray and Paul will torch Fisher and Radmanovic.

I really hope we see this. 

« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2008, 06:09:25 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

If Rondo decides he wants to penetrate, Kobe can't keep up with him.  That's not a knock on Kobe, but Rondo's arguably the quickest player in the entire league.  Moroever, if this is the Laker's plan to take the C's out of their offense, all the better.  Allen or Pierce can bring the ball up with Fisher or Radmanovic guarding them. 

The problem is that Rondo fails constantly at exploiting the matchups and doing what he does best... that's why the "roaming" defense has been so effective on the Celtics throughout most of the playoffs, and it's because a lack of Rondo exploiting the opportunity, which ends up hurting the Celtics consistently.

« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2008, 06:19:25 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
This is Kobe and Master Phil messing with people's heads. He's trying to mess with Doc and Rajon.  :-*

« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2008, 06:23:02 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
This is Kobe and Master Phil messing with people's heads. He's trying to mess with Doc and Rajon.  :-*

Good thing Doc doesn't listen to anyone right?

« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2008, 06:23:44 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!

I think that is about it. This is another one of Phil Jackson's pathetic attempts at playing mind games. People talk up his mental prowess and call him the "Zen Master" when all he really does is resort to obvious childish techniques, such as calling Sacramento a "Cow Town." Any day now he will be making a negative comment about Boston, it's nothing new.

« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2008, 06:25:53 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

The problem is that Rondo fails constantly at exploiting the matchups and doing what he does best... that's why the "roaming" defense has been so effective on the Celtics throughout most of the playoffs, and it's because a lack of Rondo exploiting the opportunity, which ends up hurting the Celtics consistently.

Agreed.  That's why I hope at the very least Rondo looks to penetrate often, whether Kobe's guarding him or not.  Even if he isn't able to take it to the hoop every time, he can still pass and create havoc for the Lakers.  Hopefully Doc tells him to step it up.

Even if he can't exploit that mismatch, it should still help Pierce and Allen not to have Kobe on them.  Both of them should be able to torch Fisher and Radmonavic. 

« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2008, 06:48:59 PM »

Offline cordialb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
Something people fail to realize is that double teaming off Rajon doesnt just open him up for a shot or a cut, but the team has to find other ways to make teams pay utilizing Rajons strengths.  Have pierce make his move early when the double team comes and put up a shot and let rajon use his rebounding ability to our advantage.  With noone to box him out, he's sure to give us a strong advantage.  The best way to utilize him though would be to set a weak side screen for a shooter.  He did it last game accidently getting in the way of a defender heading toward ray on the reversal.  When he is ignored weakside, he can easily screen down on another defender opening them up to score.  A defense is always ready to help to the open man, but by making them guess who and where the ball is reversed to helps us out tremendously.

« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2008, 12:33:10 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102

I think that is about it. This is another one of Phil Jackson's pathetic attempts at playing mind games. People talk up his mental prowess and call him the "Zen Master" when all he really does is resort to obvious childish techniques, such as calling Sacramento a "Cow Town." Any day now he will be making a negative comment about Boston, it's nothing new.

I gave you a TP on that. I cannot stand the conceit that Phil Jackson is a Zen master.

There is nothing even remotely "Zen" about an arrogant millionaire basketball coach who throws his players under the bus and sanctions an atmosphere where an accused-rapist ( he's married to a gorgeous woman) gets to hen-peck the team.

We CANNOT let him surpass Red!!!

« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2008, 12:40:37 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
The idea is to have Kobe roaming around help defend other players while leaving Rondo alone, it's up to Rondo to make them pay. If he doesn't step up, the move will work in favor of the Lakers.

If he doesn't step up.....enter Eddie House, Sam Cassell (in that order ;D)
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2008, 12:58:25 PM »

Offline seccom

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3

I gave you a TP on that. I cannot stand the conceit that Phil Jackson is a Zen master.

There is nothing even remotely "Zen" about an arrogant millionaire basketball coach who throws his players under the bus and sanctions an atmosphere where an accused-rapist ( he's married to a gorgeous woman) gets to hen-peck the team.

We CANNOT let him surpass Red!!!

Actually I believe it was Jeff Van Gundy first suggested it in a TNT telecast.

However, as a Lakers fan, I believe that is a reasonable tactic, especially if the Lakers play Ariza at 3, Sasha at 1.

In that case, Kobe will guard Rondo, Ariza will guard Pierce and Sasha will guard Allen.

« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2008, 01:14:58 PM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I hope Kobe guard Rajon because Fisher vs. Ray Allen (advantage Boston)
Anyone other then Kobe on Paul Pierce (advantage Boston) Odem ve. KG (Advantage Boston), I even think Perk can body Gasol.