Author Topic: Kobe to guard Rajon?  (Read 20259 times)

Re: Kobe to guard Rajon?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 03:45:52 PM »

Offline bleedingreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Hinrich sucks, Deng sucks, Bulls suck, I'm out.
It's not a horrible idea seeing how Kobe dismantled the international teams (when playing on team usa) by disrupting their ball handlers from getting anything going. But with Pierce and Allen, and KG even, the ball can be brought up and moved by anyone.

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 03:48:27 PM »

Offline Woodstock Libertarian

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
All the other teams have tried roaming off Rondo and they have had success.

You and I must have different definitions of "success."

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2008, 03:51:41 PM »

• Jaylen Brown
It's not a horrible idea seeing how Kobe dismantled the international teams (when playing on team usa) by disrupting their ball handlers from getting anything going. But with Pierce and Allen, and KG even, the ball can be brought up and moved by anyone.

bleed, did you used to go by the moniker "GREENNY" on the old Globe board?

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2008, 03:53:17 PM »

Offline bleedingreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Hinrich sucks, Deng sucks, Bulls suck, I'm out.

No I have yet to write on the globe board. Is someone preaching my word?

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2008, 03:59:08 PM »

• Jaylen Brown

No I have yet to write on the globe board. Is someone preaching my word?

No. I used to be friends with a guy who went by GREENNY and then changed his moniker to bleedinggreen.

Must not be you though.

This was the old globe board from like 5 years ago...

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2008, 04:44:17 PM »

Offline a tommy point

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
  • Market Anarchist
Well, then. Let me edit my post to say that Kobe would guard Rondo so he wouldn't have to wear himself out on D.

Oh wait.

I see I already said that in my original post.

:-*

Can't have it both ways.  Either Kobe is getting rest or Rondo's skills warrant Kobe's attention.  I suppose the latter could have been hyperbole on your part, though.  In which case, I will accept further mockery. 

Member of the Anti-New-Nickname Movement.

Leave things be!  The Triple Trinity Matrix Bomb is not a good nickname!  Step away from the keyboard!

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2008, 04:55:45 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Kobe guarding Rondo would hurt the Cs but would having Fisher guard Ray negate or even excede any advantage gained by such a move?

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2008, 04:59:47 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Kobe guarding Rondo would hurt the Cs but would having Fisher guard Ray negate or even excede any advantage gained by such a move?

I think Kobe would be used to double Ray off of the screens he runs off of just like the Cavs did.  This formula obviously worked and maybe the Lakers are going to use that blueprint.  There will be a lot of pressure on Rondo, if he penetrates and kicks then Ray will be much more open than if he's just standing at the top waiting for Ray to come off the pick.  He also needs to knock down the open shots that he is being given.  I actually have a lot of faith in his mid range jumper, it has been a big improvement all season long.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2008, 05:51:32 PM »

Offline oneofthesedays

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Ray is either going to be ON or OFF, it doesn't matter who you put on him.  No point in wearing Kobe out trying to chase Ray through screens.  Let Fisher do that.

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2008, 08:26:27 PM »

• Jaylen Brown
Well, then. Let me edit my post to say that Kobe would guard Rondo so he wouldn't have to wear himself out on D.

Oh wait.

I see I already said that in my original post.

:-*

Can't have it both ways.  Either Kobe is getting rest or Rondo's skills warrant Kobe's attention.  I suppose the latter could have been hyperbole on your part, though.  In which case, I will accept further mockery. 

No intent to mock on my part.

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2008, 08:53:34 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I hope so.  This seems like an overall bad strategy for L.A.  As athletic as Kobe is, he can't keep up with Rondo.  Hopefully, Boston exploits this and has Rondo take Kobe off the dribble all day, wearing him out and getting him in foul trouble. 

Fisher on Allen also shouldn't work out for them too well. 

Rondo has been knocked around all during the playoffs and gets no calls.

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2008, 08:56:20 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I am a believer on that rumor.  If you follow PJackson career, part of his winning formula is to neutralize the opposition pg.  Scottie/Jordan used to guard opponent's pg all the time...and for long streches.  For the most part the Lakers neutralized both TParker(SA) and DWilliams(Utah).

....but the problem Phil has this time around is that Rondo isn't the scoring type - so theoretically there is nothing to neutralize.  Typically, Rondo's damage comes from his rebounding and pushing the ball up the court, which basically is huslte plays.

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2008, 09:16:23 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
I hope so.  This seems like an overall bad strategy for L.A.  As athletic as Kobe is, he can't keep up with Rondo.  Hopefully, Boston exploits this and has Rondo take Kobe off the dribble all day, wearing him out and getting him in foul trouble. 

Better odds of getting hit by lightning than Kobe getting in foul trouble.

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2008, 09:19:11 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

All playoffs?  More like all season.  Then he gets called for BS fouls when he gives a PG a lane and they initiate contact (see: Billups, Chauncey).

Van Gundy said at first that Rondo needs to be "more intelligent" in terms of keeping his man in front of him.  When he did so twice, and got knocked over twice, and no call was made twice, Van Gundy even said, (and I paraphrase) "to be fair, when Rondo does stay in front of his man, he never gets the benefit of the doubt in getting a call".

This whole situation really irks me.  Why does Rondo get no respect?  This has a HUGE impact on his game, and by extension, the whole team's game.

Quite frankly, I am getting sick of watching Pierce and Allen either delay or flat out not give the ball to Rondo when he's wide open.  They need to trust their point guard.  When he gets the ball after they initially hesitate, it's obviously going to frustrate Rondo (especially given the frequency and duration at which they've been doing that).  That just makes the situation worse.

If the Celtics play the same way offensively that they did against Detroit in the Finals, they will be blown out of the water by LA.  I said this at the beginning of the playoffs: the referees control the outcome of our games by the way the allow Rajon to play, on both sides of the ball, in the first 10-12 minutes of the game.  If they call ticky-tack fouls and allow opposing guards to flat out physically abuse him, more often than not he takes himself out of the game.

You cannot expect a 2nd year point guard to handle that type of adversity like a seasoned veteran, especially when Pierce/Allen clearly do not have the faith in him that they should.

Where's that MikeD guy, I bet he'd agree.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2008, 09:42:51 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Rondo will get more respect, from opponents and teammates, as soon as he starts taking and hitting the open shots he gets. Why shall Pierce and Allen pass him the ball when he's wide open if all that's going to happen next is probably a scalabrinesque pass? They'll probably use Kobe the same way Cleveland used Delonte. If this happens, is up to Rondo to man up and make them pay.