Author Topic: The official BEAT LA thread..  (Read 13612 times)

Re: The official BEAT LA thread..
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 03:52:04 PM »

Offline gustusias

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 41
I am so happy to read all these original posts by young Celtics' fans hoping we beat LA. I have decided to strengthen your understanding and passion for the words Beat LA. I am 62 years old in a week.I have seen Russell's first game and his entire career. I qualify magne cum laude to talk about this subject. Believe me. First series against the Lakers was 1960 I believe . Anyways, year after year we would play LA in the finals. We always won. No one even considered the possibility we would lose.We had Bill Russell. That is why basically. His intensity to win and defensive greatness so dominated that the Lakers never could beat us. Kevin Garnett is our modern day Russell. It will be his intensity and defense leading the way. It is a will to win so strong that the Lakers never have a chance. That's what Boston Celtics mean, guys. Boston Celtics never lose. Not ever. It is this determination, effort, and team play that always carries us thru. So remember that when this series begins. We hate LA with a passion that has no restrictions. The only thing here that can happen is  "OUR VICTORY." So screw all these experts' predictions. We will win this series because Boston Celtics only win.

(Beat LA?)The phrase actually started at the 7th game of the Eastern Finals, 1983, against Philadelphia. They were clearly going to beat us. Our guys just couldn't rally. In the waning minute we all stood at the exits unwilling to leave,in shock at what we witnessed that day. Almost in tears, I remember a lone voice begin, 'Beat LA. Beat LA." In seconds  the entire stadium was chanting to the Philadelphis players, "Beat LA. Beat LA." Those words pounded over and over again throughout the old Garden into the ears of those terrific players of the Sixers.We had waited so long to face that Lakers team wanting only to taste their blood once again like the good old Russell days. The Seventies came and went but no Lakers.The Eighties brought Bird and Magic, but to play the Lakers only became possible in '83 and we blew it to a superior team. The Sixers went on to beat LA 4-0. So standing there in the exits, we all shouted to that Philly team to do for us what we all couldn't do that year. Beat LA. Beat LA.

It was probably the most thrilling sports memory I lived. Just gave me chills, man. I mean, chills.

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 08:02:28 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
BEAT LA!!! BEAT LA!! BEAT LA[color]

Man I feel like a kid
I am soo happy
I watch the game last night with some friends
have a couple of beers
cheer scream have fun
Ohh old times

Wooooo Hooooo lets go Celtics
I am as Happy as i can be

thanks Danny, Thank Players...hell...Thank U too doc
u make all of us happy
Wooo uoooooo

Edger, I love that crawl line but you may want to put a / in front of the color. As far as the series goes, it brings back a lot of memories of those 1980's matchups that were very tough and chalenging for the Celtics. I never figured out how they won in 1984 and lost in 1985, for instance. This is a wonderful opportunity for all the Celtics fans - Young (who haven't seen the Celtics win a title or can't remember) and Old (who remembered when Heinsohn played and Auerbach coached). And of course the middle aged who came in when Cowens, Havlicek, Nelson, and Jo Jo White played and Heinsohn wirebrushed the referees from the sidelines.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 11:10:57 PM by Edgar »
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 08:54:54 PM »

Offline weinhold

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 5
  • imagination is more important than knowledge
beat la!
People always say to me, "when you get to the NBA, don't forget about me." Well, I should've said back, "if I don't make it to the NBA, don't you forget about me."
-William Gates

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 09:04:42 PM »

Offline celticmainiac

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
I'm older then most of you guys, but as i remember it went this way LA SUX , LA SUX ! stop sugarcoating it ! ;D

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 09:12:55 PM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
I am so happy to read all these original posts by young Celtics' fans hoping we beat LA. I have decided to strengthen your understanding and passion for the words Beat LA. I am 62 years old in a week.I have seen Russell's first game and his entire career. I qualify magne cum laude to talk about this subject. Believe me. First series against the Lakers was 1960 I believe . Anyways, year after year we would play LA in the finals. We always won. No one even considered the possibility we would lose.We had Bill Russell. That is why basically. His intensity to win and defensive greatness so dominated that the Lakers never could beat us. Kevin Garnett is our modern day Russell. It will be his intensity and defense leading the way. It is a will to win so strong that the Lakers never have a chance. That's what Boston Celtics mean, guys. Boston Celtics never lose. Not ever. It is this determination, effort, and team play that always carries us thru. So remember that when this series begins. We hate LA with a passion that has no restrictions. The only thing here that can happen is  "OUR VICTORY." So screw all these experts' predictions. We will win this series because Boston Celtics only win.

(Beat LA?)The phrase actually started at the 7th game of the Eastern Finals, 1983, against Philadelphia. They were clearly going to beat us. Our guys just couldn't rally. In the waning minute we all stood at the exits unwilling to leave,in shock at what we witnessed that day. Almost in tears, I remember a lone voice begin, 'Beat LA. Beat LA." In seconds  the entire stadium was chanting to the Philadelphis players, "Beat LA. Beat LA." Those words pounded over and over again throughout the old Garden into the ears of those terrific players of the Sixers.We had waited so long to face that Lakers team wanting only to taste their blood once again like the good old Russell days. The Seventies came and went but no Lakers.The Eighties brought Bird and Magic, but to play the Lakers only became possible in '83 and we blew it to a superior team. The Sixers went on to beat LA 4-0. So standing there in the exits, we all shouted to that Philly team to do for us what we all couldn't do that year. Beat LA. Beat LA.

It was probably the most thrilling sports memory I lived. Just gave me chills, man. I mean, chills.

The Beat LA chant originated in Game 7 of the 1982 Eastern Conference Finals, not 1983, the Celtics were swept in '83 by the Bucks in the Semis.  The Sixers did go on to beat LA 4-0 as you said in '83, but in '82, the year of the Beat LA chant, alas, the Sixers did not live up to the chant, losing to LA in 6.

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 11:13:03 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
BEAT LA!!! BEAT LA!! BEAT LA

Man I feel like a kid
I am soo happy
I watch the game last night with some friends
have a couple of beers
cheer scream have fun
Ohh old times

Wooooo Hooooo lets go Celtics
I am as Happy as i can be

thanks Danny, Thank Players...hell...Thank U too doc
u make all of us happy
Wooo uoooooo

Edger, I love that crawl line but you may want to put a / in front of the color. As far as the series goes, it brings back a lot of memories of those 1980's matchups that were very tough and chalenging for the Celtics. I never figured out how they won in 1984 and lost in 1985, for instance. This is a wonderful opportunity for all the Celtics fans - Young (who haven't seen the Celtics win a title or can't remember) and Old (who remembered when Heinsohn played and Auerbach coached). And of course the middle aged who came in when Cowens, Havlicek, Nelson, and Jo Jo White played and Heinsohn wirebrushed the referees from the sidelines.

Thnaks Q
fixed here

absolutely  agree with u here man
lots of memories
lots of memories
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 12:30:43 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
I'm only 18 years old, and so are most of my friends, and the few of them who are casual fans (only a few here because bball is not huge down under although starting to grow) all go for LA. There is a rivalry building between me and them. I'm not saying anything to them if it's about basketball. In fact, I'm not talking to most of them at all until the finals are over unless I have to.
Beat LA! Beat LA! Beat LA!
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 10:13:19 AM »

Offline bf17290

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 2
LETS GO CELTICS!

BEAT LA!

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 10:02:11 AM »

Offline bf17290

• Payton Pritchard
I'M FEELING GOOD ABOUT IT. FEELING REAL GOOD.

LETS GO BOSTON!

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 10:19:09 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Go Celtics!          Beat L.A.!          Go Celtics!          Beat L.A.!          Go Celtics!          Beat L.A.!          Go Celtics!          Beat L.A.!          Go Celtics!          Beat L.A.!           Go Celtics!          Beat L.A.!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2008, 09:51:18 AM »

Offline bf17290

• Payton Pritchard
LETS GO BABY. ONE MORE DAY TILL THE GAME.

ONE MORE DAY TILL WE CAN BEAT LA.

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 09:38:14 AM »

Offline bf17290

• Payton Pritchard
I AM BEYOND JACKED UP TODAY.

COME ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

LETS GO!

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 08:50:05 PM »

Offline bf17290

• Payton Pritchard
OUR TIME BABY! OUR TIME!

BEAT LA!

BEAT LA!

BEAT LA!

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 08:51:29 PM »