Author Topic: I am SO proud of the Celtics; Here's Why:  (Read 2867 times)

I am SO proud of the Celtics; Here's Why:
« on: May 31, 2008, 12:18:41 AM »

Offline PerkinsERA43

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
With the game hanging in the balance, Paul Pierce up fakes. He lifts his defender, and sees his opportunity. He waits for the contact to come, and then launches a rainbow three. It falls. The whistle is blown. What a fantastic play by Pierce, drawing the foul and hitting the three! Undoubtedly a four point play. The call is made. "OFFENSIVE FOUL" Shouts Bennett Salvatore-Donaghy Jr. The call flabbergasts all who are watching. Even Mike Breen, die-hard Pistons fan as he is, acknowledges the mistake.

It is at this moment in time that the typical boston celtics show up, right? The rattled, frantic play should begin, the stupid fouls, the turnovers, all of the horrible flaws that have plagued this "non-championship caliber" team throughout the playoffs.

And as we all wait for the slide to begin, we are left hanging. The mistakes never come. The Celtics, with fire in their eyes and in their hearts, go on to dominate the rest of the game. Everyone on the roster contributes, whether through offensive, defense, or simply non-stop, optimistic support from the bench. The Celtics claw their way back from a 10 point deficit. They take the lead. They never relinquish it.

In the face of a motivated team with their backs to the wall, a hostile crowd, biased officiating, and physical defense, the Boston Celtics excelled. They rose above and beyond expectations, and became "championship caliber".

I believe.

Re: I am SO proud of the Celtics; Here's Why:
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 12:23:13 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Yup, this was their finest hour. 
Yup

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 12:24:09 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
With the game hanging in the balance, Paul Pierce up fakes. He lifts his defender, and sees his opportunity. He waits for the contact to come, and then launches a rainbow three. It falls. The whistle is blown. What a fantastic play by Pierce, drawing the foul and hitting the three! Undoubtedly a four point play. The call is made. "OFFENSIVE FOUL" Shouts Bennett Salvatore-Donaghy Jr. The call flabbergasts all who are watching. Even Mike Breen, die-hard Pistons fan as he is, acknowledges the mistake.

It is at this moment in time that the typical boston celtics show up, right? The rattled, frantic play should begin, the stupid fouls, the turnovers, all of the horrible flaws that have plagued this "non-championship caliber" team throughout the playoffs.

And as we all wait for the slide to begin, we are left hanging. The mistakes never come. The Celtics, with fire in their eyes and in their hearts, go on to dominate the rest of the game. Everyone on the roster contributes, whether through offensive, defense, or simply non-stop, optimistic support from the bench. The Celtics claw their way back from a 10 point deficit. They take the lead. They never relinquish it.

In the face of a motivated team with their backs to the wall, a hostile crowd, biased officiating, and physical defense, the Boston Celtics excelled. They rose above and beyond expectations, and became "championship caliber".

I believe.

I agree...one of the legitimate things I heard said about the Celtics in the playoffs was that while LA, Detroit, San Antonio seemed to have an "extra gear" they could put on to stomp down inferior teams, we did not.

Until tonight!  We absolutely dominated them when it counted, despite the atrocious reffing in the 3rd.  Our young guys (especially Perk) grew up a lot in this series.  Even Powe probably bought himself some Finals minutes today.  But we came back from adversity in the 4th and absolutely finished them off when we had the chance.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 12:25:02 AM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
Yup, this was their finest hour. 

Hopefully not their last!

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 12:27:13 AM »

Offline jonnybaltimore

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 1
DEFENSE ;D

DEEFENCE ;D

What a TEAM...hope they can keep it going!

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 12:38:41 AM »

Offline kamakawiwaole

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 23
it was absolutely frigggggin awesome!!!
we beat detroit in 6 games, winning 2 on their homecourt!
i was pretty nervous through atlanta and cleveland because it was quite obvious that they weren't wth it.  i always thought the last 1/4 of the season spent coasting and then all the time off given to allen pierce and garnett was going to slow them down come playoffs.  homecourt advantage was obviously key, but it certainly took them a while to get their mojo back and i am real proud of them.  i think this game 6 in detroit realy sums it all up in terms of how far theyve come this postseason, another reason why i am really bothered by that simmons article.  you have to be an idiot to dismiss either team. 
a lot of good things happened this series.  it's so exciting to see perk really putting it all together, allen getting his shot back, pierce being a leader and taking charge when he needs to....
i am looking forward to these finals!

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 12:42:45 AM »

Offline BirdNerd

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 17
That call set me off.   I was in that "David Stern has decided we need a game 7 on Sunday, no matter what we do the outcome is predetermined" hole.   Really bad/dark place.   

I can't believe we powered through that.   I don't know where that came from.   That was not a bad call.   It was beyond that, incomprehensible.   I have league pass, watch hundreds of hours of ball and have NEVER seen that in my entire life.

Its funny how these things work.   The first thing that came to mind was the call in game 3 when Rip hooked Garnet for 3 seconds and they called the foul on KG to send him to the bench with 2.......you think, big problems.

But nah, the bench went bonkers and became the story of the game.   That may not have happened with KG on the court.   That call tonight was like, OK, we gotta RIP this thing, snatch it, wrap it up, and fall on it so they can't take it away!!!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 12:44:21 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i am proud of them for not packing it in when they fell behind.  the suck it up, digged in on D, and got it done. 

celtic pride to the max.  so happy and proud right now!