Author Topic: Doc is the worst coach to ever make the FInals  (Read 4695 times)

Re: Doc is the worst coach to ever make the FInals
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 02:43:57 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
not true, the cavs dragged Mike Brown kicking and screaming into the finals last year.

I think he's getting vastly underrated. He's really a defensive genius, and the way they played the Celtics this year taught me that what they did last year was really no fluke. I disagree with a ton of the things he does, particularly with his substitutions and how he runs the offense, but overall I think he keeps his team well motivated for the most part, and the way he gets the players to play some great defensive schemes is very valuable.

Sure, he got out coached by Pops in the finals (who doesn't?), but he out coached everyone for the most part (riding LeBron quite hard) during their playoffs run.
I rate Mike Brown as by far the best defensive head coach in the league.
I rate Mike Brown as the worst offensive coach in the league
In terms of the rest of his coaching I think he's below par at everything else (developing a bench, rotations, in game adjustments, player relationships, developing young talent ... stuff like that). Actually, above average as a motivator.

In other words he's an extrememly talented assistant coach who's out of his depth in the head seat.

............ Worth noting he was one of the best development coaches in the business before becoming a head coach and had some of the strongest player-coach relationships in the league as an assistant. Where did all those skills go?