Author Topic: New Simmons article: No one is beating the Lakers  (Read 16337 times)

Re: New Simmons article: No one is beating the Lakers
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 04:27:20 PM »

Offline DaTruth34

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
I used to love his articles...but now, they are just garbage. What fan automatically discards their team? Unbelieveable! I also like how he's tries to scaprgoat his Garnett "no clutch" aticle as something he was writing for a reverse effect. Give me a fuc*in break! He's lost!

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 04:33:44 PM »

Offline Veal Scalabrine

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
It's easy for a team to look like invincible basketball gods when:

1. You play a Denver team in complete disarray that plays zero defense

2. A utah team who's interior defense looks like swiss cheese ( Booxer and Gasol? Please) and who has not one player with a sack on the entire roster

3. An obvioulsy tired and aging San Antonio team with one of it's key guys ( Ginobli) obviously hampered.

Three things to remember Bill:

* The Laker's bench of Vujacic, Farmar, Walton, Radmanovic and Turiaf basically disappear when an actual defender steps on the court

**I'm sorry to inform you that Gasol, Odom and Turiaf are not going to be able to hang and bang with Garnett, Perkins, PJ brown, Big Baby and Powe

***If Lebron can be hassled and jammed...so can Kobe.

Celts in six. If we can get past Detroit.     

Its also easy to look invincible when you play a crappy young team with no superstars which barely made it into the plays and a team that has one superstar and absolutely nothing else. BUT the celtics didn't. They looked lie a flawed team and even though they came out on top you can't just disregard all the faults you've seen.

I'm a big supporter of what the Celtics are doing and I think they'll get passed Detroit, but there was a point during the Lakers game last night when I decided that I was absolutely terrified of the Lakers. I hate to say it but I might agree with Simmons. I obviously won't root any less for the Cs—and I imagine the same is true for Simmons—but there is a difference between being a die hard fan and being a fan that wears blinders and refuses to see things for what they are

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 04:36:40 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167

2. A utah team who's interior defense looks like swiss cheese ( Booxer and Gasol? Please) and who has not one player with a sack on the entire roster

3. An obvioulsy tired and aging San Antonio team with one of it's key guys ( Ginobli) obviously hampered.

* The Laker's bench of Vujacic, Farmar, Walton, Radmanovic and Turiaf basically disappear when an actual defender steps on the court

**I'm sorry to inform you that Gasol, Odom and Turiaf are not going to be able to hang and bang with Garnett, Perkins, PJ brown, Big Baby and Powe

Its also easy to look invincible when you play a crappy young team with no superstars which barely made it into the plays and a team that has one superstar and absolutely nothing else. BUT the celtics didn't. They looked lie a flawed team and even though they came out on top you can't just disregard all the faults you've seen.

I'm a big supporter of what the Celtics are doing and I think they'll get passed Detroit, but there was a point during the Lakers game last night when I decided that I was absolutely terrified of the Lakers. I hate to say it but I might agree with Simmons. I obviously won't root any less for the Cs—and I imagine the same is true for Simmons—but there is a difference between being a die hard fan and being a fan that wears blinders and refuses to see things for what they are

Quoted for truf. Last night I was thinking the exact same thing. I was really hoping that SA won that series so even if we did make the Finals, we wouldn't have to play Kobe.

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 04:40:16 PM »

Offline Jughead

• Broadcast Manager
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14

I appreciate what you're saying here, but if we are going to be realists then let's consider the fact that Simmons onslaught of postseason negativity is good for business and that possibly being the driving force for what he is writing.  He is back assing into his opinions with the "jinx" safeguard the same way Paul Pierce backs his way into the paint when they no longer trust in the passing game...

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 04:42:05 PM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
If the Celts win the title this year...I guarantee Simmons will claim he is writing all this negative stuff about the C's as a reverse jinx and try and make himself the reason for us winning.

I have never witnessed someone just totally sell out their favorite team like this before.  It's rididculous.  Where is the love for winning three games 1's so far, winning three game 5's, winning 2 game 7's?  I think everyone will agree that Game 1 and Game 5 are the two biggest games of a series, and Game 7 is obviously huge if it happens.  Where is the love for a team doing this for the first time as a unit? Where is the love for a team coming up with wins everytime their backs are against the wall?  Where is the love for a team that has not trailed a series these playoffs?

Simmons has annoyed me in the past, but the guy should really be banned from writing about the Celtics.  Sure, some of the stuff is true, but the guy sure is glossing over a lot of the good this team is doing and is bashing his "favorite" team week after week.  We're one game away from the finals!!! Wake up and enjoy this you fool!

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 04:42:47 PM »

Offline Cooldude5t5

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 36
If Doc puts Pierce and Posey on Kobe then they have a shot at keeping him under 30 pts a game for the series. If Allen is on Kobe Lakers in 4.

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 04:44:15 PM »

Offline Veal Scalabrine

• Jordan Walsh
I agree that simmons is being overly negative, but too suggest that there is no truth to anything he is writing because its anti-celtics (not saying you are doing this, but others are) misses the point entirely. Obviously he's going over the top to get people talking, but he's not making things up. there's truth to a lot of what he says

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 04:47:57 PM »

Offline Green17

• Managing Editor
  • Bill Walton
There will be a response posted later on the front of the blog.  Later, after I calm down. 
Leon = MVPowe

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 04:50:18 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Ahhh!!! I'm like a moth to the flame, trying to ignore the Celtics vs. Lakers talk!!!!

The C's can give the Lakers are really strong run for their money. It doesn't take much adversity to get the Lakers to point fingers at each other. Especially Kobe! This team can be exploited! All their perimeter shooters are streaky. Farmar and Fisher can not stay with Rondo. Not by a long shot. The Lakers have absolutely no answer for KG. ...um, I mean... forget about this Laker talk.... Go Celtics!!! Beat the Pistons!!!!

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 04:56:27 PM »

Offline JAM

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
If, and I mean IF we advance past Detroit: It wouldn't be a Boston/LA Finals if the Lakers weren't ridiculously favored over Boston.  I can't remember when the C's were the favorite, yet we've owned them in the Finals.

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 04:57:53 PM »

Offline Green Polar Bear

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
I don't really know what else to expect from someone being paid by ESPN. They love crapping on Boston sports. I'm tired of Mike Breen's exuberance every time the Pistons make a play and snarky comments whenever the Celtics make a mistake.

ESPN has just about my least favorite mix of people out there. Arrogant, smug jerks who are so high and mighty even though most of them were at best marginal NBA talents. I like Mark Jackson and JVG, but Breen needs to shut up.

Simmons does disgust me, though. Whether you honestly, impartially think the Lakers are better or not, as a Celtics fan, it's blasphemous to say such things out loud. He's as much of a jerk as anyone else on ESPN, and has really let his pseudocelebrity status get to his head. Give it up, kid. You're not that big a deal. If he was a true Celtics fan, he wouldn't write that article, no matter what.

I'm not even gonna click the link. Doing that just gives him hits and quantifiable evidence to the powers that be that people actually care what that dink has to say.

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 04:58:52 PM »

Offline Pawtucket Pat

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
You know what really kills me about it though? The way he keeps referring to himself as 'we' in reference to Celts fans. He doesn't have the right.

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2008, 05:00:01 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
There will be a response posted later on the front of the blog.  Later, after I calm down. 

Please, Hammer, don't hurt 'em!

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2008, 05:01:15 PM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
How could you not want to play the Lakers? "To be the man, you have to beat the man". Ric Flair said that...believe it. These are the same people who didn't want the Colts or wouldn't want the Yankees. I don't care if people think we're over-matched, we are as good as any team in the league and want it at least as much. Bring on the Lakers! Let's see if Kobe is Jordanesque.

The Lakers have yet to play a physical team that plays nasty defense. I didn't want to get into this yet, but Posey and KG can match up with their front court (or Perk could beast them); Ray, Posey and Tony can bother Kobe  and Rondo will be difficult at both ends for them. And for all the talk about their bench against the Spurs and our bench struggling against the Pistons starters, we match up really well in that end too. That's all I'll say for now, but I like our chances.
"Suit up every day."

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2008, 05:01:57 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Who has Simmons' email address? CAn you post it here. The guy doesn't post it, as far as I can tell. He's quite the fan.