Author Topic: Rick Pitino  (Read 4138 times)

Rick Pitino
« on: May 30, 2008, 01:05:46 PM »

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
What do you think was Rick Pitino's main reason for failing in Boston?  Do you think his
"system" is just not good enough in the NBA?  He was overmatched in a lot of those televised games, if I recall correctly. 

Re: Rick Pitino
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 01:06:37 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Well according to the title of his book "Success is a choice" so I guess he just chose to fail.  >:(

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 01:16:24 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
What do you think was Rick Pitino's main reason for failing in Boston?  Do you think his
"system" is just not good enough in the NBA?  He was overmatched in a lot of those televised games, if I recall correctly. 

1) It's hard to get professional athletes to go all out with pressure defense for 48 minutes;

2) His players didn't like him;

3) He tinkered with the roster too much, and settled for short term fixes.

Pitino has a great basketball mind; he's very good in the "Xs-and-Os" phase of the game.  It's the locker room side of coaching that I think Pitino failed miserably at.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 01:22:33 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
That, and he thought he was the star of the team. His ego and pride was out of control. Like it or not, you need to manage the personalities of the budding superstars very carefully in the NBA. I really like him as a NCAA coach though. He should never come back to the pros.

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 01:39:28 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
<snip>

Pitino has a great basketball mind; he's very good in the "Xs-and-Os" phase of the game.  It's the locker room side of coaching that I think Pitino failed miserably at.

Sounds like the Anti-Doc; if we could just get him and Doc to breed, we could have the best Celtics coach ever - I think the CB server might melt down from an overload of daily "Rick Rivers Sux!" threads, though  ;D.

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 01:45:44 PM »

Offline ram

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
He tinkered with the roster too much, and settled for short term fixes.
-------------------------
BINGO

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 04:52:12 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
His biggest reason for not succeeding?  Not landing the #1 pick in the 1997 draft. 

While all of the above criticisms are valid, his biggest reason for failing was not having enough talent.  If he gets Duncan, we might be talking about him in the same breath as K.C. Jones, Bill Fitch, and Tommy Heinsohn right now. 

As Doc has proven already this year compared to last year, players determine a team's fate much more than a coach. 

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 06:39:44 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm not sure that's the reason. He could have kept Billups past a half season. He could have had TMac with the 6th pick. Then he got lucky to get PP with the 10th the next year. Then he traded the 8th pick in 1999 for Vitally Potapenko. He could have had Andre Miller, Shawn marion, Jason Teryy, or even traded down and still got James Posey or AK47. Then in 2000 he took Jerome Moiso instead of Turkoglu, Desmond Mason, Jammal Maglore, or Deshawn Stevenson

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 06:44:13 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

1) It's hard to get professional athletes to go all out with pressure defense for 48 minutes;

2) His players didn't like him;

3) He tinkered with the roster too much, and settled for short term fixes.

I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. Even the guys that played for him in college didn't like him. It was such a breath of fresh air for those guys when Obie took over that they played their heart out for him.

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 11:34:41 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
He is simply not an NBA coach.
Flashback him trying to hug Pierce at his last game coaching....rewatch it, players didn't like / respect him.
Better ? why bring Pitino up when we are going to the finals?

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 11:39:43 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
<snip>

Sounds like the Anti-Doc; if we could just get him and Doc to breed, we could have the best Celtics coach ever - I think the CB server might melt down from an overload of daily "Rick Rivers Sux!" threads, though  ;D.

Fairweatherfan, I'm beginning to think you are brilliant.  TP for you!

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 11:41:03 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Did anybody else see that Mark Jackson listed Rick Pitino as the best coach he's ever played for?

Not Pat Riley. Not Jerry Sloan. Not JVG. Not Larry Brown.

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 11:42:44 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
He is simply not an NBA coach.
Flashback him trying to hug Pierce at his last game coaching....rewatch it, players didn't like / respect him.
Better ? why bring Pitino up when we are going to the finals?

Pitino was so deeply buried in my unconscious, I would have needed psychoanalysis to dig him up, or some random thread about him - how out of whack is that - its been 21 long years, we've been through ML, King Rick, Obie Kanobie, Brett Szabo, Thomas Hamilton, Greg Minor, Pervis Never in Service, Dee for Three, Ding Dong Day, Barros, Joe "gone in 60 seconds" Forte, Gin Baker, Dino, Montross, Kederick Green (yeah that's on purpose!), Scala...oh wait he's still here..., Dominique, Jay Humphries, you name it, we've been there, we've suffered through lottery balls gone bad, Tommy losing his mind, Gorman turning gray, the sad passing of Red, the destruction of the Garden, the introduction of mascots and dancers and "who wants a t shirt?!"  and here we are in the NBA Finals...the goshdarned NBA finals... savor it and foget all the bad... the time is now... Thursday marks the beginning of the rest of our lives, and we are all here to enjoy the ride, breath, relax, enjoy
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 12:02:12 AM »

Offline TerreHaute

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
Have to agree with most everything said on here. One thing I would add, is that he was totally unwilling to take any blame for things that he was directly responsible for. He complained about everything that happened but failed to remember that he demanded total control of the entire organization. If you are in total control, you are also responsible for all parts, good or bad. He was a total ego-maniac who could not deal with adult players whom he couldn't threaten. He obviously tried by getting rid of so many players who refused to do it his way, but HE couldn't make it work.

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 12:04:44 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Did anybody else see that Mark Jackson listed Rick Pitino as the best coach he's ever played for?

Not Pat Riley. Not Jerry Sloan. Not JVG. Not Larry Brown.

Not Larry Legend? Jackson sucks.