Author Topic: Major Celts moments you attended  (Read 7449 times)

Major Celts moments you attended
« on: May 30, 2008, 10:50:55 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I have only been to one game at the Garden and 0 at the new Garden.

However when I was in college Pitino coached his first Celts preseason game at my school. I went with the only other guy I new from MA. We were next to this older guy who was the most racist dude I ever met. It was amazing. Everything that came out of his mouth was unbelievable. We're talking slang from the 1950s. half-way ruined my nite. It's one of the only things I remember from it. Weird.

Re: Major Celts moments you attended
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 10:58:14 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I was at the first game against the Sixers in the 2002 playoffs.  The Celtics long awaited return to the playoffs.  That was the biggest game I had ever been to until I went to games 5 and 7 of the Cavs series this year.  Game 7 was the greatest sporting event I have ever attended live.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 11:02:27 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Bookends for me:  I was at Larry Birds first game as a Celtic in 1979.  They played Houston.  I still have the stub.  I sat right behind the Celtics bench and remember my feet freezing from the ice beneath the boards.  I also remember they let a dove go before the game to mark beginning of the Bird era.  The bird flew up to the top of the scoreboard and knocked off a pile of dust that had to be mopped off the parquet.  Bird played pretty well.  He made one ridiculous pass.

The other end of the bookend would be Larry Bird Night at the Garden.  Awesome night.

Attending the Government Center rallies after the championships was always fun too.  Being there for the classic Bird quote in `81 "Moses Eats...(can't say here, but Larry had no problem saying it in front of a couple hundred thousand people).

Other random Celtics games: 

Saw Chief's last game as a Celtic.
Was at the game where Conner Henry went off.
Was at the playoff Game where the Celts outscored the Hawks 36-6 in the 3rd (that one was recalled during the opening round this year)
Yup

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 11:04:26 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I was at the first game against the Sixers in the 2002 playoffs.

Went to that one too.  Lots of fun.  The fans were definitely very excited to be back in the playoffs.

Also went to the first games of the Atlanta and Cleveland series this year. Both sort of strange games.
Yup

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 11:24:19 AM »

Offline Section 87

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 56
I was at the Garden for the home opener for the 86-87 season, when they hoisted the most recent banner to the rafters. Also, I was at Reggie Lewis's last game, the playoff opener vs the Hornets in '93. Johnny Most Night, when they retired Johnny's microphone and hung it "high above courtside" (in the new Garden, it's not courtside, but at the the end of the arena, by the DJ/video/organ booths). The night they retired Parish's number. Opening night in '97, when we beat the champs (the Bulls). The huge come-back game in the 2002 playoffs, vs the Nets.

The absolute best major Celtics moment is tentatively scheduled to happen in about two weeks. The Pats have built a dynasty. The Sox turned around four generations of despair. And now it's the Celtics' turn for their shot at glory, "Jubletroms," and "Dropkick Murphy on a trailer."

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 11:28:23 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
1. I was at games 1 and 3 of the 1973 series vs. the Knicks. Game 3 was when Havlicek injured his  right shoulder running into a Debusshere pick, causing him to shoot free throws with his left hand. We lost the game, and went on to lose the series in 7. It was the first time the Celtics lost a game 7 in Boston Garden. Game 4 was the first time I remember feeling that the refs stole won from the Celtics. We had a huge lead in MSG, about 16 going into the 4th quarter, yet lost, and believe me, the refs really helped the Knicks' cause in that one.

2. Was at game 1 of 1981 NBA finals, when Bird made the great shot behind the backboard to win it vs. the Houston Rockets. I was on that side of the court, although many rows up, and from that angle it was not that impressive a shot. When I later saw it on video, wow, I realized how great it was.

What I remember most about that game, however, was before it started, Bill Russell and Bob Cousy walked out onto the court and shook hands, and the Garden went wild. It was as if Russ and Cous were saying, "hey, we're back!!"  For those who don't remember, the Celtics got to the 1981 finals in miraculous fashion, trailing the favored 76ers in the Eastern Conference finals, 3-1, and coming back to win the next three.  It was a foregone conclusion that we would beat Houston, although they did put up a good fight, especially by winning game 2 in Boston.

I went to many other Celtic games in the 60's, 70's and early 80's.  Then I left the area, and have fortunately been able to follow them with League Pass.

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 11:34:43 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The game last year when the Celtics ended their 18 game losing streak.

After that, all of this year's playoff games.

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 11:39:07 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
1.  Game 4 was the first time I remember feeling that the refs stole won from the Celtics. We had a huge lead in MSG, about 16 going into the 4th quarter, yet lost, and believe me, the refs really helped the Knicks' cause in that one.

Tommy went into detail about that game during a game this season.  He was still royally ticked off talking about it all these years later!
Yup

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 12:08:58 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
1) Game 3 2002 Eastern Conference Finals vs. New Jersey Nets:  Simply "The Comeback"

2) Game 7 2008 Eastern Conference Semi-Finals vs. Cleveland Cavaliers: Lebron vs. Pierce

3) Game 1 2002 Eastern Conference Playoffs vs. Philadelphia 76ers: First playoff game in ages.

4) Game 5 2008 Eastern Conference Semi-Finals vs. Detroit Pistons: C's in a Nailbiter

5) Game 3 or 4 (trying to remember) 2003 Eastern Conference Playoffs vs. Indiana Pacers: Pierce goes off.  3 at buzzer to end a quarter at one point.

Had the strip for 2002, 2003, 2005 and have seasons now so I've been around for this season's ride.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 12:32:56 PM »

Offline Silent Storm

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 55
The game in Charlotte where somehow we miraculously got the ball back and Ray hit the three at the buzzer to win it. I'll never forget it.
You are no longer black, or brown, or yellow, or red! You are now GREEN, you are light GREEN, or dark GREEN!

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 12:48:30 PM »

Offline Cassidy122690

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18
1.  My first Celtic game = March 12, 1985, in New Orleans v. the Hawks.  Guess what Larry did that night.

2.  My first Celtic game in the Garden = December 26, 1990.  That fun Cs team beat Indiana 152-132 with Larry going for around 30, and he hit a 3 in front of Indiana's bench and kindly wished the entire team "Merry Christmas."
Out of Ireland have we come, great hatred, little room, maimed us at the start. I carry from my mother's womb a fanatic heart.  W.B. Yeats

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 12:49:47 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
I went to some in the early 90s as a child in the old Garden but honestly, I can barely recall them. I was at the 4th quarter comeback in Game 3 in '02, Ron Artest getting tossed in Game 6 '03, NJ sweeping us in Game 4 in '03 and JKidd nailing a three at the buzzer even though they were up by 8 or 10, and the blowout Game 7 in '05. More recently, I've been to Game 5 of the current series.

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 01:30:52 PM »

Offline larryjoe

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
This list is not in order.  Some are more memories than events.

Johny Most sound alike contest, with Johny, at HOF.  Funny night! 

Met Kevin Mchale before a game in Hartford CT.  Went through an open door with a friend at the Civic Center that brought us directly to the floor (we had tickets, we were just up to no good).  The "Black Hole" was there posting up some stiff.  After one move he came over and said "watch this."  He was passed the ball and put the "up and under" on this guy and laid it up off the glass.  I use that move in my driveway consistantly.

Celtic/Sixers in Hartford when Larry backed down Sir Charels and hit the game winner. Since that night Larry has and always will be my Favorite C.

Big Baby breaks out agains Timmy and the Spurs 2008.  Our seats were on the offensive end of the floor during the second half.  Baby went off on Timmy.  He had no answer for him.  The look on his face when Baby schooled him for the third time was awesome.

Game Five 2008.  The best moment.  I still have a sore throat.

LJ

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 01:38:53 PM »

Online Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I have been to so many but the one that always stands out is the one I didn't go to. I was in high school, and it was Jordan's first game back in Boston after his baseball experiment, this was when he was wearing #45, and the Celtics retired Reggie's #35 at halftime. Why didn't I go? My dad had tickets, but my mom had promised them to someone who worked under her as a reward, I will never be able to forgive this.

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 01:53:16 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
1) June 4, 1976 Game 5 of the NBA Finals - Boston 128, Phoenix 126 (3 OT)

2) The other two game 5's that year (against Buffalo and Cleveland)

3) Game 7 of the 1982 ECF against Philly where the Beat LA chant was born.

I remember a 1987 game out in Seattle that I was sick with the Flu, showed up at halftime and Larry Bird shot the game winner in X-Mans face with two seconds left. We were down 18 at the half.

I left Boston in 1983.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.