Author Topic: Hamilton is officially the most annoying player I have ever watched  (Read 17441 times)

Offline DannyZ

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
2004 NBA Playoffs - The Pistons eliminate the Pacers in what is Reggie Miller's last NBA game.  Reggie Miller meets Hamilton after the game and asks Rip to carry on his tradition of annoying play.

Now in the year 2008, Hamilton has made the leap.  He has matched Miller's annoying level and even found new innovative ways to be hated.  And they said it couldn't be done.

He has fully matched Reggie's flopping on defense and offense.  He literally commits about 72 fouls a game with all his clutching and hand fighting.  Scratching and tripping is fair game too.  If Rip played pick-up ball, he'd get punched in the face (or the mask).  On D, he gets you with 10 little fouls instead of 1 big one to evade detection just like Bruce Bowen, another all-annoying teammate.

He has Reggie's whiny face every time he commits a turnover or actually gets whistled for one of his many fouls.

He DOESN'T talk trash like Reggie. This actually made Reggie somewhat likable as a competitor (especially against the Knicks). 

He developed soccer-level flopping and injury-faking skills.  Reggie never learned this.  Notice Hamilton's teammates don't even check on him as he rolls on the floor and screams in pain.  They know he's faking and are embarrassed.  When is he actually hurt?  No one knows.

He wears a mask.  Brilliant annoying strategy.  Now whenever he wants to complain to the ref, he points out how his mask is slightly ajar.  For extra annoyance, he spends 2 minutes fixing his mask before free throws.  He even had Antonio McDyess wearing one every 3rd game.  Tonight, ESPN had a half-time segment, "Behind the Mask".  I couldn't watch as I would have kicked my TV in pure annoyance.  I have limits to what I can handle.  Next season he will probably wear a helmet.  In 2010 he will play basketball in a plastic bubble.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
You are leaving out a key criteria that makes him an elite player with respect to annoyance. Most of his teammates have similar traits (this is also true of Bruce Bowen). Rasheed has never fouled anyone throughout his career in his opinion. All the gaurds on the team violently hand check but when they are called for it are shocked. Prince's game isn't annoying but it is annoying how a man can be near 6'7 and only weigh 210 (if that).

Also the announcer on the all annoying team would have to be the third wheel in what is otherwise a great announcing team Mike Green (i think that's his name). With how he calls every foul a "hard foul" thinks everything should be a flagrant and gets more excited when the Pistons score he is headlining the all annoying team. He clearly has never played basketball in his life.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline Bleedgreen

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
I 100% completely agree. I flat out hate this man's style of play and all my buddies who get my text messages during the game can attest to my hatred of this guy's style. He's dirty, he's cheap, he's a flopper, and what's worse is the refs let him get away with it. We need to send Scal in to deliver a Horry style body check into the scorers table!

Which makes me bring up the fact that Scal was actually suited up for game 5. Huh? ???
As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me - red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game.
-Larry Bird

Offline Bleedgreen

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
Evantime34, FYI it's Mike Breen. And I agree wholeheartedly. Awful announcer. Do play by play, not color Mike.
As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me - red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game.
-Larry Bird

Offline DannyZ

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
You are leaving out a key criteria that makes him an elite player with respect to annoyance. Most of his teammates have similar traits (this is also true of Bruce Bowen). Rasheed has never fouled anyone throughout his career in his opinion. All the gaurds on the team violently hand check but when they are called for it are shocked. Prince's game isn't annoying but it is annoying how a man can be near 6'7 and only weigh 210 (if that).

Also the announcer on the all annoying team would have to be the third wheel in what is otherwise a great announcing team Mike Green (i think that's his name). With how he calls every foul a "hard foul" thinks everything should be a flagrant and gets more excited when the Pistons score he is headlining the all annoying team. He clearly has never played basketball in his life.

The mask and the injury-faking put him over the top.  Ray is wishing he never hosted him for that UConn visit.

Offline FierceLikePaulPierce

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11

What is the key criteria he is leaving out? Did I miss something?

TP to the OP for the rant, btw.

Offline Raygus

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 19
I 100% completely agree. I flat out hate this man's style of play and all my buddies who get my text messages during the game can attest to my hatred of this guy's style. He's dirty, he's cheap, he's a flopper, and what's worse is the refs let him get away with it. We need to send Scal in to deliver a Horry style body check into the scorers table!

Which makes me bring up the fact that Scal was actually suited up for game 5. Huh? ???

tony allen injured his achilles tendon during practice, giving scal the opportunity to put on some sweats.

i agree on all counts about rip. i guess i've never really paid much attention to his all around game until this series, i just always thought he was a nice player from UConn with a goofy face mask.

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
2004 NBA Playoffs - The Pistons eliminate the Pacers in what is Reggie Miller's last NBA game.  Reggie Miller meets Hamilton after the game and asks Rip to carry on his tradition of annoying play.

Now in the year 2008, Hamilton has made the leap.  He has matched Miller's annoying level and even found new innovative ways to be hated.  And they said it couldn't be done.

He has fully matched Reggie's flopping on defense and offense.  He literally commits about 72 fouls a game with all his clutching and hand fighting.  Scratching and tripping is fair game too.  If Rip played pick-up ball, he'd get punched in the face (or the mask).  On D, he gets you with 10 little fouls instead of 1 big one to evade detection just like Bruce Bowen, another all-annoying teammate.

He has Reggie's whiny face every time he commits a turnover or actually gets whistled for one of his many fouls.

He DOESN'T talk trash like Reggie. This actually made Reggie somewhat likable as a competitor (especially against the Knicks). 

He developed soccer-level flopping and injury-faking skills.  Reggie never learned this.  Notice Hamilton's teammates don't even check on him as he rolls on the floor and screams in pain.  They know he's faking and are embarrassed.  When is he actually hurt?  No one knows.

He wears a mask.  Brilliant annoying strategy.  Now whenever he wants to complain to the ref, he points out how his mask is slightly ajar.  For extra annoyance, he spends 2 minutes fixing his mask before free throws.  He even had Antonio McDyess wearing one every 3rd game.  Tonight, ESPN had a half-time segment, "Behind the Mask".  I couldn't watch as I would have kicked my TV in pure annoyance.  I have limits to what I can handle.  Next season he will probably wear a helmet.  In 2010 he will play basketball in a plastic bubble.

;D ;D ;D @ this post. I totally agree.

Offline X Man

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
  • One Game At A Time
I actually know Rip and have played against him and I must say he never pulled none of this nonsense in pick up games cause he knows he would get his rear kicked and he's too skinny to try to fight.  It's straight up retarded the crap they let him get away in NBA and as far as that strained elbow he suffered tonight? I must say its well earned since he had his open hand in Ray Allen's face when it happened.  Let's get him and the rest of these clowns OUTTA HERE!!!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 01:11:22 AM by wdleehi »
On the road to immortality

Offline NicaraguanFan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
I actually blame NBA refs more than Rip for this behaviour.  Refs have allowed him all this tricky plays, this would end if refs call at least half the fouls he does on every game.

NF.
#18 is coming...

Re: Hamilton is officially the most annoying player I have ever watched
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 02:46:59 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I love watching Rip Hamilton play, he's a true joy to watch play.

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 06:38:42 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I love watching Rip Hamilton play, he's a true joy to watch play.

i like to watch him shoot, i find nothing joyous about watching him commit offensive foul after offensive foul and somehow not get called for them.

I'll never understand that, why is he allowed to blatantly tug people off balance and push them into screens as he gets ready to run when for anyone else thats a foul? just veteran rep?

for heavens sake, he put a choke hold on ray UFC style last night to keep him from getting away on a screen and didn't get called. ???
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 06:59:37 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
My favorite Rip-trick this series is when he grabbed Garnet's arm but his grip slipped and he fell backward, and he got the foul called against him...  ::)

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 07:42:20 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
That "strained elbow" makes me laugh. Hamilton was trying to steal a time out when the Pistons didn't have one.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 07:46:43 AM »

Offline 86 Celtics

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12
I am so sick of Mike Breen talking about how well Rip moves without the ball.  Sure, we could all move well without the ball if we were allowed to push or tug our defenders out of the way first.  I swear he does this on every play and I'm screaming at the refs (okay, screaming at my TV while my wife looks at me like I'm a madman).  Watching this series, Rip has officially taken Manu Ginobli's crown as most annoying player in the NBA.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue... natural justice. This is not vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No. Not vengeance. Punishment.