Author Topic: Down goes Dice...  (Read 3242 times)

Down goes Dice...
« on: May 27, 2008, 11:34:04 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
The Sox just pulled Dice-K from the game while he was warming up for the fifth.  He seemed to pull something in his lower back making the last out of the fourth.

Hopefully it isn't serious, didn't look like it was.  A stint on the 15-day DL would probably be good for him.  He's had high pitch counts all year, this would be a chance to rest his arm.  It would test the depth of the rotation, but that hasn't been a problem so far this season.  Colon's been solid, Buchholz is due back soon, I wouldn't mind seeing another Masterson spot start if we had to.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

Re: Down goes Dice...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 11:47:30 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
With the pitching depth we have in our system this should prove to be a non-issue so early into the season. I just hope it's not a nagging injury. I never want to see nagging injuries.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 11:51:51 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
They need to take their time with him.  They could skip him the next time around, and then let Bucholtz slide in to his spot for a start or two.

Right now, the Sox have so much depth, they should be able to handle this fine. 

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 11:52:19 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
this is actually a good thing if its a short trip, cause otherwise, i don't think clay is coming back up.

the fat man stole his spot  ;)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 12:16:37 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
And the Sox come back and keep the undefeated season going for Dice.  Is this the most improbable undefeated streak of all time?  It definitely has the most walks out of any other ones.  The funny part will be when he throws a gem, striking out 12, walking none, giving up 1 unearned run and he loses 1-0.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 12:22:47 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Didn't sound like it was too serious .... more of a precautionary thing. That said, it still stinks, though I think we're deep enough to handle it.

2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 12:23:45 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
And the Sox come back and keep the undefeated season going for Dice.  Is this the most improbable undefeated streak of all time?  It definitely has the most walks out of any other ones.  The funny part will be when he throws a gem, striking out 12, walking none, giving up 1 unearned run and he loses 1-0.

you know, i heard an interesting theory on felger the other day (who i normally avoid). Mike read off a bunch of hall of fame type stats, a long, long list, and of course did the "look dice is better right now" bit. Then he noted the real high walk total, and finally put it this way

"you know what ive decided after looking at all the walks? mabey we just have to put up with it from Japaneses pitchers. you know what, if dice needs 160 pitches to go 7 or 8, let him go if he looks good. your talking about a guy who pitched 150 pitch games for 8 yeaars, his arm is conditioned for it.

The point is this, if your going to give up, on average, 3 hits per 9? i can live with your walks, those are incredible numbers. im just going to sit back and enjoy the ride"

the only thing i didn't agree with was his durablity argument, since dice tired last year.

but other than that, i thought it was actually a uniqe take on dice.

do we care if he walks a ton of people if he maintains his normal 3/per 9 performances?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 12:27:05 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Didn't sound like it was too serious .... more of a precautionary thing. That said, it still stinks, though I think we're deep enough to handle it.

I spoke too soon ... Lopez is warming up! (Please don't bring in that side-arm freak ... we'll be done for the night!)

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 01:27:59 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Timlin chokes again ... ouch!

* BAHKU MUSIC *