Author Topic: First MLB All-Star Ballot Returns  (Read 2751 times)

First MLB All-Star Ballot Returns
« on: May 27, 2008, 10:25:21 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Red Sox Nation is taking over baseball in more ways than one.  As usual the Sox and Yankees are leading most of the categories in the balloting.  They clearly are the most popular teams (and probably the most hated as well) in the league. 

Although this voting, as all fan voting can be a crock at times, I am extremely glad to see Youk, Pedroia, and Varitek leading their positions.  Youk at least deserved to be on the ballot last year if not in the game.  This year he is by far the best first baseman the American League has to offer.  Varitek is being helped by Posada's injury, but in a weak catcher's position he deserves it for the way he handles the staff.  His bat has also been solid so far this year.  Pedroia also deserves it.  He is around the leaders for total hits and as always has a solid glove at second base.  These hard workers all deserve to be recognized by starting this game.

The glaring spots where the overwhelming popularity of the Yankees and Red Sox show with Cano who is second behind Pedroia for second basemen, and more absurdly, Lugo is fourth at shortsop.  He shouldn't be fourth in voting for the Triple A All Star Game. 
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

Re: First MLB All-Star Ballot Returns
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 10:33:35 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Haha.  J.D. Drew and Coco Crisp are in the top-12 in voting?

Fan voting is a bit of a joke.  I've never really bought into the "the game is for the fans" philosophy.  The best players should be recognized, not the most popular. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 11:05:56 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics
Haha.  J.D. Drew and Coco Crisp are in the top-12 in voting?

Fan voting is a bit of a joke.  I've never really bought into the "the game is for the fans" philosophy.  The best players should be recognized, not the most popular. 

Interesting that they're ahead of Ellsbury.  I know the Sox fans I listen to on Boston sports radio would be voting for Jacoby over Coco.  I wonder where these votes are coming from.  And I agree this is another good example of the fallacies that come from this voting system.  Anyone who watches this team day in and day out knows that Ellsbury should be ahead of Crisp, and probably ahead of both of them.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 11:07:31 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Yooooooooooooooooooooook

He probably won't last in the voting, but the man deserves to be an All Star so far.
Yup

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 11:32:00 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
I just went to the online ballot and I didn't see Ellsbury's name on the ballot.

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 11:37:03 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics
I just went to the online ballot and I didn't see Ellsbury's name on the ballot.

Haha well that explains that for me.  He really didn't have a shot to make it with all the other OF but I think he still should have made the ballot.  If Lugo can be fourth anything can happen.