Author Topic: Dave Cowens  (Read 4488 times)

Dave Cowens
« on: May 27, 2008, 12:57:18 PM »

Offline Werner

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
I cant get over watching Cowens Cheer against the Celtics. It has really been bothering me. I guess its not any different from watching Bird and Mchale do the same. I guess he does it because his paychecks have a Pistons logo on them. Maybe i am making a big deal out of nothing, does it bother anyone else?

Re: Dave Cowens
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 01:00:59 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
It doesn't look right, I agree.  But, that's the nature of the NBA. 

Knicks and Hawks fans probably don't think it looks right when Doc is coaching against them (although I'm convinced that he's a double-agent).

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 03:55:01 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
It doesn't look right, I agree.  But, that's the nature of the NBA. 

Knicks and Hawks fans probably don't think it looks right when Doc is coaching against them (although I'm convinced that he's a double-agent).

;D  A case could definitely be made, Mr Hobbs.

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 04:01:33 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
even though Donny Marshall is not a coach,sometimes i feel the same about him(double agent). ;D 

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 04:05:43 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
It is indeed the nature of the beast.  It's amazing to see this level of player become basically a journeyman coach (not all that unusual, but an odd sight still).  Do you think he'll ever get another crack at a headcoaching job?  It's been a while now.

Yup

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 04:36:30 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
It is indeed the nature of the beast.  It's amazing to see this level of player become basically a journeyman coach (not all that unusual, but an odd sight still).  Do you think he'll ever get another crack at a headcoaching job?  It's been a while now.

I read that he was quite content working as an assistant coach in Detroit and wasn't actively seeking a head coaching job at the moment. Makes sense.

I liked his Charlotte teams with Rice/Mason/Vlade in the mid-late 90s. They were fun. Be nice to see him get another shot when he wants it. Outside of those two years I'm not convinced he's a much of a coach though, the team fell apart needlessly the next season as he lost control of his ship. Paul Silas came in and instantly turned the team around with the type of ease that makes you wonder why Cowens failed. Then Cowens went to GSW and that was a disaster. Assistant coach is likely the better level for him. Gets to work with some great players, gets to be in the hunt for a title, Flip gives his assistants a lot of input ... an awful lot to like about that situation.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 04:44:38 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I was looking up his stats on basektball reference.com (which is a pretty amazing resource by the way) and had forgotten about Cowens brief comeback with Milwaukee. 

Has there been another player coach in the NBA since Cowens did it the year before Larry arrived?

I can't think of any others in any major sport since Pete Rose.
Yup

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 05:03:04 PM »

Offline Frontierboy

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
yeah, it feels like when you see Ewing on the bench in Orlando..... it just ain't right

Or when Malone was with the Lakers for that year..... or when Hakeem was with the Raptors

Or seeing those pictures of Michael Jackson when he wasn't white :-)

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 06:29:25 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Not that this topic is really about loyalty -- I doubt anybody thinks less of Cowens for working for teams other than the C's - but I recently read a piece on Larry Siegfried, one of my childhood favorite Celtics that puts loyalty in perspective. 

Siegfried played college ball for Ohio State who lost to Cincinnati in the NCAA championship game circa 1960.  Subsequent to this heartbreaking loss he was drafted by the Cincinnati Royals (NBA).  Refusing to play in Cincinnati, Larry chose to play in a lesser league (the ABL).  It was actually this path that ultimately led him to the C's.  Siegfried was contemplating retirement after the ABL folded the next year.  John Havlicek, a teammate at Ohio State convinced Red to give Larry a workout.  The C's signed him and he went on to play a solid role in five championships.

If I was not technologically impaired, I'd provide a link to the story above, but I don't know how (I'm old-ish).  I believe it was Wikipedia.

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 06:44:47 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Not that this topic is really about loyalty -- I doubt anybody thinks less of Cowens for working for teams other than the C's - but I recently read a piece on Larry Siegfried, one of my childhood favorite Celtics that puts loyalty in perspective. 

Siegfried played college ball for Ohio State who lost to Cincinnati in the NCAA championship game circa 1960.  Subsequent to this heartbreaking loss he was drafted by the Cincinnati Royals (NBA).  Refusing to play in Cincinnati, Larry chose to play in a lesser league (the ABL).  It was actually this path that ultimately led him to the C's.  Siegfried was contemplating retirement after the ABL folded the next year.  John Havlicek, a teammate at Ohio State convinced Red to give Larry a workout.  The C's signed him and he went on to play a solid role in five championships.

If I was not technologically impaired, I'd provide a link to the story above, but I don't know how (I'm old-ish).  I believe it was Wikipedia.

This isn't the one you were talking about, but it was amusing!
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2005/10/07/history_lesson_from_legend/

Here's the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Siegfried
Yup

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 07:43:13 PM »

Offline lefty12

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
cowens is over it now, but he should have got celts job when ML hired himself and tanked the season.

can you imagine if ant-wine had cowens his rookie year, rather than the imposter carr was as a coach?

big red soured a bit on the day-to-day approach of most modern-day NBA players that cash their paycheck without putting everything into their craft (like he did).

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 08:52:56 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Dave Cowens - to this day - still my all time favorite Celtic.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce