Poll

What Position Should We Focus on in the Draft?!

Center
21 (52.5%)
Forward
2 (5%)
Power Forward
2 (5%)
Guard
13 (32.5%)
Point Guard
2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Who Should We Draft?!  (Read 10417 times)

Who Should We Draft?!
« on: May 26, 2008, 10:02:52 PM »

Offline MachZRo

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
I personally think that we could get a better Center than Perk.
I think that Rondo will pan out in time.

Re: Who Should We Draft?!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 10:16:34 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think we should target a swingman, who can help us score off the bench.  Guys to potentially look at:  Brandon Rush, Nick Batum, Chase Budinger, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Bill Walker, or Wayne Ellington.

I don't see a lot of center talent slipping to #30.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 10:40:13 PM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Someone should start rumors the Roy Hibbert stole a roommate's computer on a wild drug binge then drove a Porsche 120 mph with open alcohol containers in the front seat. This is so he'll fall to 30 and be the new big man in Boston!

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 11:00:12 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Lofton from TN.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 11:02:05 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Lofton may not be drafted

Jason Thompson or Kyle Weaver....time out over...bqack to the game

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 11:29:19 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Someone should start rumors the Roy Hibbert stole a roommate's computer on a wild drug binge then drove a Porsche 120 mph with open alcohol containers in the front seat. This is so he'll fall to 30 and be the new big man in Boston!

Umm, have you seen Perk play in these playoffs?  And more importantly, did you see Hibbert play this year?

Hibbert is garbage, and he is going to be a total bust.

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 11:33:43 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I find the following four players very interesting (at #30):

Brandon Rush
Bill Walker
Chris Douglas Roberts
DeVon Hardin

More or less in that order.  I think the first three could contribute right away.

For the #60 spot, someone who I think could be interesting is Drew Neitzel (I know, I know, great college player, will be a terrible pro, right?)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 11:36:39 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Brandon Rush
Bill Walker
Chris Douglas Roberts
DeVon Hardin

More or less in that order.  I think the first three could contribute right away.

For the #60 spot, someone who I think could be interesting is Drew Neitzel (I know, I know, great college player, will be a terrible pro, right?)

I like Neitzel as well.  He may not even be drafted, and could be an invite to summerleague.  He reminds me a bit of Steve Blake with his leadership abilities.

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 11:41:08 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Brandon Rush
Bill Walker
Chris Douglas Roberts
DeVon Hardin

I like Neitzel as well.  He may not even be drafted, and could be an invite to summerleague.  He reminds me a bit of Steve Blake with his leadership abilities.

Small point, but apparently we're not participating in summer league this year.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 11:56:35 PM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
A 6-5 or 6-6 combo guard like OJ Mayo and a couple of quick and shotblocking 7-0 or 6-11 centers. That's what we need. KG and Perk are getting embarassed by the younger players on the defensive end of the floor that's why we need bigs - make it 2. A combo guard who can quickly create offensive situations because our offensive patterns are sickeningly slow.
I don't get to see much of the NCAA games but we need 2 bigs and 1 quick offensive-minded combo guard.

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 11:58:41 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Brandon Rush
Bill Walker
Chris Douglas Roberts
DeVon Hardin

Wow, that seems odd.  Too bad for us Cs fans, because it is such a great chance to see the youngsters play.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 12:03:40 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Brandon Rush
Bill Walker
Chris Douglas Roberts
DeVon Hardin

Wow, that seems odd.  Too bad for us Cs fans, because it is such a great chance to see the youngsters play.
It costs 250k to play in the Las Vegas Summer League.

Not much point when the team isn't likely to have anyone there who'll be a rotation player next year.

Colangelo did the same thing last year and still came away with Jamario Moon. Just invite that player to training camp instead.

Or do like Kevin Pritchard did and send development coaches to go with your players for part of the summer to get them working on what they're meant to be working on.

Very little to be gained from Summer League for a contending team. Look at Dallas. Look at how much effort they've put in over the past few years and how little it's payed off? Ditto for San Antonio. Summer League is worth even less when you don't have High School kids knocking about.

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 12:06:57 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Yeah, the Celtics are hosting their own rookie and free agent camps, instead. 

From the March 16 Globe:

The Celtics have been regular participants in the Las Vegas Summer League these past few years, but that is going to come to an end this July. With a veteran-laden roster, many of them free agents-to-be, it might be hard to get a team of Definite Celtics together for 2008-09.

"Baby [Glen Davis] would have to play point guard," Doc Rivers cracked.

But, seriously, Davis, Gabe Pruitt, and Mr. First-Round Draft Pick would be the only real Celtics on the roster, so, for that reason, the team will instead hold a minicamp in Waltham for undrafted players and assorted other mid- to lower-level free agents. (In other words, don't expect to see Antawn Jamison show up.)

"I think we're going to put as much time in this summer as we always have, but not in the form of participating in a summer league," Danny Ainge said. "We're going to try something different.

"We've had free agent minicamps before, but usually they were just for a couple days. We'd like to do this for a week, probably before the Vegas Summer League. We want it to be more Celtic-like, do some of our things and not just have it like a game of pickup basketball. There'll be more in-depth stuff with our own coaching staff."

Ainge said he still plans to attend the Vegas Summer League, but only for scouting purposes.

"I go to all the summer leagues," he said, "and try to look at the players and see which rookies we might have missed or passed on. So I'll probably be there for a few days."

In other words, the golf courses won't go unused.

And from Friday's Globe:

The Celtics won't have a summer league team, but tentatively have rookie and free agent camps in Waltham scheduled July 3-7.

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 12:09:33 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I knew trading Gerald Green away was a big mistake.  The man was a Summer League Hall of Famer.  Bring back Gerald and save our Summer League program.

The Celtics won't have a summer league team, but tentatively have rookie and free agent camps in Waltham scheduled July 3-7.
Yup

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 12:13:18 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
I knew trading Gerald Green away was a big mistake.  The man was a Summer League Hall of Famer.  Bring back Gerald and save our Summer League program.

I have no qualms of getting Gerald Green in to our roster. He's a tall and quick shooting guard. He's still young and we can get him cheap. With Ray Allen in our lineup he can help GG with a lot of fundamentals and grow from there.
I wish we get him back.