Author Topic: Jemele Hill Latest Piece of Trash  (Read 16839 times)

Re: Jemele Hill Latest Piece of Trash
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2008, 03:39:37 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
She says
"If there are any controversial calls that favor Boston or Los Angeles, or if there are games in which either of those teams makes a ton of trips to the foul line, the CTs (conspiracy theorists) will ask: What would prevent the NBA from urging the officials to call games a certain way to ensure a Finals involving teams from two of the biggest media markets in the country?

You only have to look at the numbers to see that the officiating has definitely not favored the Celtics.   

In the first round series against the Hawks, the free throw discrepancy was very clear in that the Celtics shot 128 free throws to 220 for the Hawks. In that same series, the Celtics scored 288 points in the paint to only 240 for the Hawks. In the pivotal game 6 in Atlanta, the Hawks shot 47 free throws to just 25 for the Celtics, yet the Celtics scored 50 points in the paint to only 38 for the Hawks. This would dispute the conjecture that the Celtics weren’t going to the basket as much as the Hawks.

In the second round against the Cavaliers, the Celtics shot 167 free throws while the Cavs shot 196 free throws. In this series, the Celtics once again got to the basket more in that they had 204 points in the paint while the Cavs had 186. In game 5 of this series that I mentioned above where the Cavs shot 18 more free throws than the Celtics, the Celtics scored 38 points in the paint to 30 for the Cavs. In the pivotal game 6, the Cavs shot 25 free throws to just 13 for the Celtics but yet again, the Celtics scored more points in the paint than their opponent.

Over the first two series the Celtics shot a total of 295 free throws to 416 for their opponents. At the same time, they scored 492 points in the paint compared to 426 for their opponents. This indicates a bias on the part of the referees to call more fouls on the Celtics in spite of the fact that they were the more aggressive team in trying to draw fouls by scoring in the paint.

http://celtics.bostonsportsmedia.com/have-the-officals-been-short-changing-the-celtics/

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2008, 04:09:01 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
That is the better question, why does she have a job?

I think we all know the answer to that question.

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2008, 05:02:43 PM »

Offline Hollywood

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
I heard she was sleeping with matthew berry

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2008, 06:01:52 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Jemele Hill is to sports journalism as Ben Wallace is to free-throw shooting.  She is awful beyond belief.  She never makes good points, her writing is atrocious, and all of her comments that she intends to be funny are just stupid.  I don't get how she has a job, there are about 50! (that's a factorial sign, not an exclamation point) better writers than her.

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2008, 06:22:17 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
That is the better question, why does she have a job?

I think we all know the answer to that question.

I was trying to dance around the obvious  ::).   ;D ;D ;D
I'd say the number is about 50 squared, 8591.

She says
"If there are any controversial calls that favor Boston or Los Angeles, or if there are games in which either of those teams makes a ton of trips to the foul line, the CTs (conspiracy theorists) will ask: What would prevent the NBA from urging the officials to call games a certain way to ensure a Finals involving teams from two of the biggest media markets in the country?

You only have to look at the numbers to see that the officiating has definitely not favored the Celtics.   

In the first round series against the Hawks, the free throw discrepancy was very clear in that the Celtics shot 128 free throws to 220 for the Hawks. In that same series, the Celtics scored 288 points in the paint to only 240 for the Hawks. In the pivotal game 6 in Atlanta, the Hawks shot 47 free throws to just 25 for the Celtics, yet the Celtics scored 50 points in the paint to only 38 for the Hawks. This would dispute the conjecture that the Celtics weren’t going to the basket as much as the Hawks.

In the second round against the Cavaliers, the Celtics shot 167 free throws while the Cavs shot 196 free throws. In this series, the Celtics once again got to the basket more in that they had 204 points in the paint while the Cavs had 186. In game 5 of this series that I mentioned above where the Cavs shot 18 more free throws than the Celtics, the Celtics scored 38 points in the paint to 30 for the Cavs. In the pivotal game 6, the Cavs shot 25 free throws to just 13 for the Celtics but yet again, the Celtics scored more points in the paint than their opponent.

Over the first two series the Celtics shot a total of 295 free throws to 416 for their opponents. At the same time, they scored 492 points in the paint compared to 426 for their opponents. This indicates a bias on the part of the referees to call more fouls on the Celtics in spite of the fact that they were the more aggressive team in trying to draw fouls by scoring in the paint.

http://celtics.bostonsportsmedia.com/have-the-officals-been-short-changing-the-celtics/

The fact that we are discussing what this idiot is saying gives it some validity.

But since we are, The Cavs are always going to get the majority of calls as long as the messiah is on their roster.  Stern should put some kind of officiating disclaimer up whenever the messiah is in the arena.  The Hawks were getting calls because they were playing agressively while we were passive in the games in Atlanta.  A lot of those "points in the paint" were Garnett jumpers from just inside the free throw line.  There is no mystery to the free throw disparity.  We were a vastly more talented team.  The notion that we scored more points in the paint is irrelevent.  With or without calls, we should have dominated in the paint.  If the Hawks had our talent and was playing with the aggression that they were playing with in that series they would have tripled or quadrupled the number of free throws and the points in the paint we had.  

I'll maintain that there will be no officiating bias the rest of the way regardless of who ends up where.  Out of the four teams, Paul and Kobe are the only players who get more than their share of calls.

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2008, 06:57:33 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Jemele Hill is to sports journalism as Ben Wallace is to free-throw shooting.  She is awful beyond belief.  She never makes good points, her writing is atrocious, and all of her comments that she intends to be funny are just stupid.  I don't get how she has a job, there are about 50! (that's a factorial sign, not an exclamation point) better writers than her.

TP, cf8591.  The son of two long-time math teachers, I believe I'm contractually obligated to show some love for anyone who starts dropping factorials into everyday discussion.  Well played.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2008, 07:13:25 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I heard she was sleeping with matthew berry

That's not good for Matthew Berry

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2008, 12:16:12 AM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
mentioning the KG trade with the Gasol trade in the same sentence is ludicrous. The Celtics actually gave up some talent and a decent pick.

I'm with her if she talks conspiracy theory with the Lakers. Can't think of a more lopsided trade in NBA history. And If you are going to mention McHale then you can't ignore the Jerry West ties to Memphis and L.A.

Jerry West retired July 1 2007 so he had no part in a Gasol to the Lakers trade.

I know it was Chris Wallace who made the lopsided trade. My point was more about the conspiracy theory she suggest with Mchale.  If you are going to make that statement when Mchale traded for one of the best young big men in the game then why not bring up the West ties. My understanding is that he still has ties with Memphis ownership. He may or may not have had any influence but the Memphis trade was horrid. Can't we say a conspiracy is just as likely with West because of how one sided the trade was.   

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2008, 03:07:44 AM »

Offline mikeford

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 18
I'd say its safe to say that Jemele Hill's career is singlehandedly setting back any hope for other female sports writers trying to break into the business.

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2008, 09:24:41 AM »

Offline NUMBA 17

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12

With alot of these ESPN writers, you have to have read some of them for a while to have any idea where they come up with these types of articles...........J. Hill is on record of growing up a Pistons fan, and therefore HATING the Celtics (and Im sure she has no love of the Lakers either)....she's written that she hates the Celts and Ive also heard her SAY it on TV (on ESPN of course).......so once you know this, you take this article with 15 lbs of salt and just laugh at her, because she let her love of the Pistons make her write a REAL weak piece....
"Dont give up...dont ever give up..."   J. Valvano

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2008, 10:56:17 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

With alot of these ESPN writers, you have to have read some of them for a while to have any idea where they come up with these types of articles...........J. Hill is on record of growing up a Pistons fan, and therefore HATING the Celtics (and Im sure she has no love of the Lakers either)....she's written that she hates the Celts and Ive also heard her SAY it on TV (on ESPN of course).......so once you know this, you take this article with 15 lbs of salt and just laugh at her, because she let her love of the Pistons make her write a REAL weak piece....

Hmm...do we have 'excuses' on the record for the writings of Skip and Scoop, too?  ;)

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2008, 11:03:45 AM »

Offline Aaron

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 18
Here's a nice retort from BostonSporz.com to Jemele's insane article:

http://www.bostonsportz.com/blog/2008/5/26/jemele-hill-slowly-step-away-from-the-keyboard.html

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2008, 11:12:23 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Hmm...do we have 'excuses' on the record for the writings of Skip and Scoop, too?  ;)

-sw

I don't know about anybody else, but Skip seems to be there just to argue.  He takes the dumb side of most arguments by intent, it appears.  I don't know if he writes.  I'd be afraid to read it if he did.  I've listened to Scoop and he's not knowledgable.  But he's 10 times more coherent and knowledgable as Smith and Hill.  It doesn't make him good.  Smith and Hill are beyond bad.

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2008, 12:40:20 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
If you listen reeeeal good you can just make out all the link clicks and angry responses to this article…

It’s quite evident to me that this story was created purely for shock value; and it worked.

If this article was written in sincerity then I sincerely hope that I wake up tomorrow and find Ms. Hill out of a job, because this article is one of the shallowest I’ve read in terms of hard facts and unbiased opinions.

You know the article is off to a rough start when the author mentions that one of the points they’re about to use actually doesn’t apply to the argument (i.e. the celtic defense) they are currently making.  However, as bad as that is, it’s not an isolated incident; in fact, the ENTIRE article is full of contradictions.

“If you complain you're sick of seeing NBA teams that don't play hard, root for Pistons-Spurs. If you love teams that win because of their commitment to team basketball, root for Pistons-Spurs. If you're sick of seeing basketball dominated by And-1 wannabes, root for Pistons-Spurs.”

Please, Ms. Hill, explain to me how the Lakers and/or Celtics could make it to the finals without playing hard? Oh, forgive me, I forgot the Celtics were on cruise control as they coasted by the Cavs and Hawks; and the Jazz/Nuggets – no talent there, either.  And it’s not like it takes effort to lead your respective conference in regular season wins or anything.

Commitment to team ball…do you really wanna go there? Has there EVER been a better example in the past couple decades of a group of superstar players sacrificing every significant statistic for the W than the Celtics?

“And-1 wannabes.”  I really don’t even know where to begin…who are you trying to call out? Kobe? Paul Pierce? I hope not because, if my memory serves me correctly, the And-1 game doesn’t involve playing much defense – is there another small forward or shooting guard on the planet that is playing better D right now than Peirce and Bryant. NO and NO.

Let’s also conveniently ignore the fact that your home team argues over calls (‘Sheed) and embellishes contact (Bu-Bu-Billups and Rip) just as much, if not more than any other team in the league, let’s also ignore the FACT that Rip Hamilton happens to be one of the dirtier players on the court right now…mmm, the subtleties of And-1 ball are starting to come back to me….

As an NBA fan, I’m offended by the fact that she gets paid to write something like this. 

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2008, 12:55:45 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
The final sentence from the dead-on retort article:
Jemele, can you do mankind a favor and please re-write this article so it makes sense... or better yet, just stop.

She'd need a ghostwriter.  She's not literate enough to write an article so it makes sense.