Author Topic: Grammar Talk / How to use Affect/Effect Effectively or is it Affectively?  (Read 13969 times)

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I am a school teacher and keep wondering how they are going to afford fuel for the buses. This Tuesday is an abbreviated day where the kids pickup there report cards on the last day of school. They come from 8-9:30am. What a waste of tax payers money. We already sent the report cards home Friday. ???

wait, you're a teacher and misused affected (its with an a if its a verb), those poor poor kids... (I make mistakes all the time - I'm a teacher too - just bustin ya)

but yeah, I didn't even think about the buses, thats pretty annoying, though I do think at least in our district, we negotiate a price prior to the year, so the bus company is the one losing money on the deal, not the taxpayers

personally, I have about a 20-25 minute commute each way, so I go through a tank a week, and that means considerably less disposable income, I think I'll be doing a lot of walking this summer
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 03:50:09 PM by Redz »
When you love life, life loves you right back

Re: How are gas prices Affecting you?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I am a school teacher and keep wondering how they are going to afford fuel for the buses. This Tuesday is an abbreviated day where the kids pickup there report cards on the last day of school. They come from 8-9:30am. What a waste of tax payers money. We already sent the report cards home Friday. ???

wait, you're a teacher and misused affected (its with an a if its a verb), those poor poor kids... (I make mistakes all the time - I'm a teacher too - just bustin ya)

but yeah, I didn't even think about the buses, thats pretty annoying, though I do think at least in our district, we negotiate a price prior to the year, so the bus company is the one losing money on the deal, not the taxpayers

personally, I have about a 20-25 minute commute each way, so I go through a tank a week, and that means considerably less disposable income, I think I'll be doing a lot of walking this summer

Actually I noticed that I missused it, edited it, but someone changed it back. ???  I'll try editing it again.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 03:19:19 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
[quote authou're a teacher and misused affected r=cdif911 link=topic=18293.msg289005#msg289005 date=1211656473]
wait, yo(its with an a if its a verb), those poor poor kids... (I make mistakes all the time - I'm a teacher too - just bustin ya)

[/quote]

Wow, really!  I saw someone had changed the title of the second post in this thread to use the "E" spelling (the OP had used "A"ffecting), so I went back and edited the original title thinking that was correct (that's what I though too).

[dang]...that's one I thought I knew.  I'll never do it again now.

Another bonus CelticsBlog moment

And my apologies to the OP, I'll change it back
Yup

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 03:21:16 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
My bad Chief :-[

Yup

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 03:26:09 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

No problemo. I am just glad people realize that I'm not as big of an idiot, now. ;)
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 03:28:40 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

Wow, really!  I saw someone had changed the title of the second post in this thread to use the "E" spelling (the OP had used "A"ffecting), so I went back and edited the original title thinking that was correct (that's what I though too).

[dang]...that's one I thought I knew.  I'll never do it again now.

Another bonus CelticsBlog moment

And my apologies to the OP, I'll change it back

sympathy TP for redz  ;)

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 03:30:28 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

No problemo. I am just glad people realize that I'm not as big of an idiot, now. ;)

Nope, that's be me (the idiot)...Actually I'm blaming it ManchesterCelticFan who incorrectly corrected it in the 2nd post in this thread and made me think "Gee that's right"
Yup

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 03:36:16 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
can I change my handle to grammar police?

that was the best discussion of affect vs. effect I've seen in a while

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 03:46:29 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

no surer way to become unpopular in a hurry  ;) (especially when you get it wrong  :-X)

So I would say "A win tonight would have a positive effect on my day." and "A win tonight would affect me positively."

Right?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 04:24:56 PM by Redz »
Yup

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 04:10:44 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

no surer way to become unpopular in a hurry  ;) (especially when you get it wrong  :-X)

So I would say "A win tonight would have a positive effect on my day." and "A win tonight would affect me positively me"

Right?

you've finally prove you are a sentinet being capable of learning, well played

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 04:35:33 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

So I would say "A win tonight would have a positive effect on my day." and "A win tonight would affect me positively me"

Right?

you've finally prove you are a sentinet being capable of learning, well played

Never, ever will I shut myself out to learning!  You just never know where you're going to get a lesson - though I'm finding more and more frequently I'm learning stuff from my 5 year old :D
Yup

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

First off I'd like to point out I am not a teacher and that the above statement is wrong.

Affect is both a verb and noun as is effect both a verb and noun. It is incorrect that affect is the verb and effect is a noun.

af·fect1   Audio Help   /v. əˈfɛkt; n. ˈæfɛkt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[v. uh-fekt; n. af-ekt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object) 1. to act on; produce an effect or change in: Cold weather affected the crops. 
2. to impress the mind or move the feelings of: The music affected him deeply. 
3. (of pain, disease, etc.) to attack or lay hold of. 
–noun 4. Psychology. feeling or emotion. 
5. Psychiatry. an expressed or observed emotional response: Restricted, flat, or blunted affect may be a symptom of mental illness, especially schizophrenia. 
6. Obsolete. affection; passion; sensation; inclination; inward disposition or feeling. 

ef·fect   Audio Help   /ɪˈfɛkt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[i-fekt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. something that is produced by an agency or cause; result; consequence: Exposure to the sun had the effect of toughening his skin. 
2. power to produce results; efficacy; force; validity; influence: His protest had no effect. 
3. the state of being effective or operative; operation or execution; accomplishment or fulfillment: to bring a plan into effect. 
4. a mental or emotional impression produced, as by a painting or a speech. 
5. meaning or sense; purpose or intention: She disapproved of the proposal and wrote to that effect. 
6. the making of a desired impression: We had the feeling that the big, expensive car was only for effect. 
7. an illusory phenomenon: a three-dimensional effect. 
8. a real phenomenon (usually named for its discoverer): the Doppler effect. 
9. special effects. 
–verb (used with object) 10. to produce as an effect; bring about; accomplish; make happen: The new machines finally effected the transition to computerized accounting last spring. 

The main difference between the words is that as a verb affect is to bring about something or make an impression on a feeling or mind of a person.

Effect as a verb is to accomplish something or create an effect.

Sorry, just didn't want to have the little ones reading this thread to be misinformed. ;) :D ;D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 05:20:43 PM by nickagneta »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133

Flat out overjoyed to see this topic.  One question though since I'm still getting the hang of these forums, did I miss the "there" vs. "their" discussion?

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
[dang it] Nick now I'm more confused than ever!
Yup

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
[dang it] Nick now I'm more confused than ever!
Think of it this way.

We as people can effect something. But other things affect us as people.

Is that better?