Author Topic: Last play we ran in game 2  (Read 2560 times)

Last play we ran in game 2
« on: May 23, 2008, 10:59:42 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Just wondering why Pierce didn't take it to the hole and instead passed it to Garnett for a 3 pointer? Was it a mistake by him? What do you think should be the correct play in those circumstances because I doubt Doc's instructions were to have Garnett shoot a 3 pointer.

I can see a scenario where Doc draws a play for a 3 pointer, but if Pierce had a clear path to the basket (which he did if I remember correctly) he should've taken it in my opinion.

Any thoughts on what transpired there? I've kept away from the game thread so I don't know if this has been discussed there, and I haven't seen it discussed in any other thread.

Re: Last play we ran in game 2
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 11:03:01 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I wanted him to shoot the three in the corner.

I didn't like that he put it on the floor at all. It was an unneccessary drive, the Pistons weren't leaving their shooters and the Celtics needed a three. I didn't think a quick two would do much good. (1) Not much time left on the clock (2) Pistons are great FT shooters (3) I don't think the C's had any timeouts. I thought they needed a three.

Pierce is the team's best three point shooter this postseason, might as well be him to take it. Wasn't like they were going to get an open look from out of the corner without taking too much time off the clock.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 11:07:01 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I wanted him to shoot the three in the corner.

I didn't like that he put it on the floor at all. It was an unneccessary drive, the Pistons weren't leaving their shooters and the Celtics needed a three. I didn't think a quick two would do much good. (1) Not much time left on the clock (2) Pistons are great FT shooters (3) I don't think the C's had any timeouts. I thought they needed a three.

Pierce is the team's best three point shooter this postseason, might as well be him to take it. Wasn't like they were going to get an open look from out of the corner without taking too much time off the clock.

I would've liked a 3 pointer myself as our last play, and I think it was the correct play coming out of the time out (look for a 3 pointer), but once he drove to the basket (wasting time) he should've made the layup in my opinion.

Plan A is what you described above, to ensure that Detroit can only take a 3 point lead.
Plan B should've been a drive to the basket for the quick 2, and take your chances with Detroit's FT's.
Plan C is what we used, and it's game over... waste the 3 point opportunity, waste time driving to the basket, for yet another kickout with little time left.

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 11:28:52 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I was happy enough with the kick out on the drive once Pierce had put it on the floor. It (KG's three) wasn't a good shot but I just don't believe a two pointer would have done anything.

9.8 seconds with no timeouts down 4 points against Detroit. I thought they needed a three.

On the kick out, Garnett's three was as good a shot as they were going to get. The Pistons weren't leaving any of the team's other shooters.

Take the prayer from KG and hope it's your night. It wasn't.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 11:37:21 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
The problem with the kickout is that you already took too much time off the clock, so wether you make it or not you'd still be in the same boat if you'd taken it to the hole, hoping to steal the inbounds pass. The only difference is that you have less time on the clock.

9.8 seconds left, a three would've been good... but with 3 seconds left, down by 4? There's no real hope there, he should've made the layup earlier instead of wasting more time and the play for the steal. If you foul, then at least you might still have some time to run another play... and who knows, they might miss a free-throw.

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 12:31:10 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Any quick hoop would have been great.

But as PP drove to the basket and time was elapsing you really needed the KG 3 which was a pretty solid look and I believe KG can hit that shot.

He hits it and we can still foul and they could make 2 free throws and we'd still have ~3 secs to tie it up with a 3.

I have no problem with the final play....just didn't work out.

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 12:58:41 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
someone on the celtics staff should study the closing game of the lakers/jazz series.  what utah did down the stretch in that game, though they lost, was a thing of beauty.  their late game clock management and use of out-of-bounds plays was well developed.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."