Author Topic: Take it out the box or leave it in its original packaging?  (Read 5611 times)

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
So I was walking through the mall today, and stopped in Champs to buy a gift for a friend.  Near the back of the store I see a rack of MacFarlane sports figurines, and right there in the front is a Kevin Garnett Boston Celtics figure calling out to me.   Not that I have any real need for a $15 item that is essentially just going to collect dust no matter how cool it looks, but I caved in and bought it anyway.  So while I walked in the store to buy a present for a friend, I ended up walking out with a present for myself.  ;D

Now I always loved this kind of stuff, I have a view MacFarlane figures, as well as some Starting Lineup ones, some Bobble Heads, and some other random figurines, and I always find myself going back and forth on this: do I take it out of the box or leave it in it’s original packaging to preserve it?  The kid in me says “let’s rip this bad boy out the box and play with it right away” but the sensible adult in me says “if we leave it in the box this could be a valuable collectors item someday, you saw what those original Snake Eyes and Optimus Prime figures were going for on eBay” but then the fan in me responds “why do we need to preserve its value, we bought that because we’re Celtics fans, not to resell it for profit” but then the business man in me just says “cha-ching” and finally we have the no-concept-of-money-man in me who suggest that we could just buy 2, one to take out of the box and one to preserve.

Pretty much all of my items are still in their original packaging and have never been opened, and sometimes this even makes them easier to display (even though most of them are nicely displayed in the back of my closet). Today though the kid and fan in me won out.  This Kevin Garnett “action figure” just looked too cool to keep confined in the package.  “Little Kevin” as he is now known in my house is looking all ferocious properly posed and displayed while now collecting much of the dust that floats around my house.

My question, for those who also buy stuff like this, is what to do you do with yours?  Do you leave it in the package or take it out of the box?  Every time I get something like this I’m always going back and forth on what to do.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 10:43:25 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Re: Take it out the box or leave it in its original packaging?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 10:17:13 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Wow, that thing is scarily real looking.

Depends what you bought it for.  Doesn't sound like the sort of thing that's ever going to set up future generations of your family financially.  I say open it and enjoy it.  Save the box in case it starts to creep you out. ;)
Yup

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 10:22:19 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
First, TP for the impulse buy. Second, pop "Little KG" out of the box and have some fun with him. Put him on your computer desk and let him be your little good luck charm when posting here at Celtic's Blog. But if you want to preserve him, buy one of those glass display boxes.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 10:26:40 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
They should have had him doing this:

Yup

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 10:35:45 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
So I was walking through the mall today, and stopped in Champs to buy a gift for a friend.  Near the back of the store I see a rack of MacFarlane sports figurines, and right there in the front is a Kevin Garnett Boston Celtics figure calling out to me.   Not that I have any real need for a $15 item that is essentially just going to collect dust no matter how cool it looks, but I caved in and bought it anyway.  So while I walked in the store to buy a present for a friend, I ended up walking out with a present for myself.  ;D

Now I always loved this kind of stuff, I have a view MacFarlane figures, as well as some Starting Lineup ones, some Bobble Heads, and some other random figurines, and I always find myself going back and forth on this: do I take it out of the box or leave it in it’s original packaging to preserve it?  The kid in me says “let’s rip this bad boy out the box and play with it right away” but the sensible adult in me says “if we leave it in the box this could be a valuable collectors item someday, you say what those original Snake Eyes and Optimus Prime figures were going for on eBay” but then the fan in me responds “why do we need to preserve its value, we bought that because we’re Celtics fans, not to resell it for profit” but then the business man in me just says “cha-ching” and finally we have the no-concept-of-money-man in me who suggest that we could just buy 2, one to take out of the box and one to preserve.

Pretty much all of my items are still in their original packaging and have never been opened, and sometimes this even makes them easier to display (even though most of them are nicely displayed in the back of my closet). Today though the kid and fan in me won out.  This Kevin Garnett “action figure” just looked too cool to keep confined in the package.  “Little Kevin” as he is now known in my house is looking all ferocious properly posed and displayed while now collecting much of the dust that floats around my house.

My question, for those who also buy stuff like this, is what to do you do with yours?  Do you leave it in the package or take it out of the box?  Every time I get something like this I’m always going back and forth on what to do.

After looking closely at the figure, I have to say I don't like the face. It looks like a cross between Jamal Mashburn and Shaq.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 11:15:03 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Am I the only one qwho thinks he looks like Gamble... no really...

wasnt his name kevin too...lol
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 06:29:52 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i say take it out the box.  i collect star wars figures (surprise, surprise right, lol). i always take them out the box.  sure it diminishes the value, but u can pose them, position them, or do whatever u want with them.  why buy them if u leave them in a box and not display them? there are some people who buy them as a possible investment, but i say have fun with it.

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 07:43:06 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
i say take it out the box.  i collect star wars figures (surprise, surprise right, lol). i always take them out the box.  sure it diminishes the value, but u can pose them, position them, or do whatever u want with them.  why buy them if u leave them in a box and not display them? there are some people who buy them as a possible investment, but i say have fun with it.

I don't want to know what that means. ;)

Larry Bird

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 07:51:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I foolishly bought too many things like this. i took a ton out. I bought enough over long enough a time that I left a ton in. Hopefully I can recoup some on the ones I left in but they're takin up too much storage space now that i have a kid. I was goin to give em to him, but now I realize that he won't want em cause he'll want his own stuff. We'll see

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 11:49:39 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

So Dark Lord, any chance you got the collectable Ghostface doll?  I was exited when I first heard about that, but then that $500 price tag almost gave me a heart attack.  They just dropped the price from $500 to $300 making it much more affordable  ::).  With it saying 6 original Ghostface catch phrases how can you not make that investment.  If I were to ever buy this one, I'd definitely take it out the box to play with!

Here's what makes 4CAST's Ghostface Doll great: 14 karat gold jewelry, a velvet robe, and an electronic chip inside of it featuring six original Pretty Toney catchphrases (recorded by the man himself!). 

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 11:51:28 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

I don't want to know what that means. ;)

LOL, the padme ones are sweet! 

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 11:55:33 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

So Dark Lord, any chance you got the collectable Ghostface doll?  I was exited when I first heard about that, but then that $500 price tag almost gave me a heart attack.  They just dropped the price from $500 to $300 making it much more affordable  ::).  With it saying 6 original Ghostface catch phrases how can you not make that investment.  If I were to ever buy this one, I'd definitely take it out the box to play with!

Here's what makes 4CAST's Ghostface Doll great: 14 karat gold jewelry, a velvet robe, and an electronic chip inside of it featuring six original Pretty Toney catchphrases (recorded by the man himself!). 

i never even knew those existed, pretty cool.  but if i ever were to pay over $25 for something like this, u have permission to come kick me in the nuts, bc i deserve it ;)

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 11:58:24 PM »

Offline celticsboy746

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
LOL I have one of these but it's of Pierce. Take it out. Its not THAT special. But nice find I found mine in a Modell's
"Bird with the pass through the legs of Sikma!"