Author Topic: ECF Game 3 Celtics at Pistons 5/24 8:30 PM ABC  (Read 71417 times)

Re: ECF Game 3 Celtics at Pistons 5/24 8:30 PM ABC
« Reply #255 on: May 25, 2008, 12:22:16 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Cute, very cute and yeah, our road warriors won, but that did not look like championship basketball, and that is what we are after.

Will it look more like championship basketball if they win the championship?

They blew out the Pistons tonight on their home court.
Yup

« Reply #256 on: May 25, 2008, 12:23:00 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Road Warriors ... great "metaphoto"! Anyone else notice that Flip Saunders sounds exactly like Bruce Willis? I couldn't see the TV and thought that Bruce was somehow talking about the game, lol!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #257 on: May 25, 2008, 12:26:45 AM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
A couple of points. First as an old guy who loves defense, I thought Perk was awesome tonight both guarding his man and also in his team defensive rotations. There were times he guarded 3 different people on the same play and made the switches flawlessly. That is incredibly hard to do. Big Baby and Brown did pretty well defensively also.

Secondly the problem the celtics are having with the trap is their spacing. They need to shorten the spacing to allow shorter passes and after they are past the first wave of defenders, you THEN attack. Trying to do it with a single pass just gets it deflected. Basically they are using man-man spacing which doesn't work well with a zone because the first pass is usually off target because of the pressure. You have to give the passer more allowance for errors by making the pass distance shorter.

I disagree about trying to get layups against Detroit. They protect the basket very well. What you have to do is to be able to hit short jumpers like Rondo and Perkins did so they can't cheat on their defensive spacing. That way Pierce is man on man from 15 ft and KG is man on man from 12 ft  

« Reply #258 on: May 25, 2008, 12:31:14 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Cute, very cute and yeah, our road warriors won, but that did not look like championship basketball, and that is what we are after.

Will it look more like championship basketball if they win the championship?

They blew out the Pistons tonight on their home court.

Yup, they won the game, and led by double digits for all but 30 seconds of the last 30 minutes.  The Pistons played poorly, but they played hard, especially on defense, and we still put a lot of runs together.  The fourth quarter got a little sloppy, which is troublesome, but the positives more than outweigh the negatives.

Either way, homecourt's back, and we've got a real shot to go up 3-1 on Monday.  Huge win, and overall a semi-dominant one over a very tough veteran team.

« Reply #259 on: May 25, 2008, 01:42:26 AM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
Big, big win. You guys can check my recap at this link.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #260 on: May 25, 2008, 04:48:23 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
One win and suddenly the momentum
is totally on our side.
The monkey is indeed off our back
and today I'll bask in the glory of it!

« Reply #261 on: May 25, 2008, 05:15:56 AM »

Offline Hrvoje

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59

« Reply #262 on: May 25, 2008, 12:05:36 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
I'd be surprised if we don't see the C's best road performance of the playoffs tonight.

The Celtics may play well tonight, but that doesn't mean that they will win.

Why so down on the Celtics chances of winning tonight?

Is it just the bad road streak? Or is it Detroit?

I'm going to pick the Celtics to lose the rest of their games   ;D
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #263 on: May 25, 2008, 12:13:19 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Without a doubt the biggest, sweetest victory of the season ... and no more "road curse" comments! The Boyz played three great quarters, and hung on in the fourth to get us back to home-court advantage. Awesome job, Celts!

How Sweet It Is! Celtics Win 94 to 80!                How Sweet It Is! Celtics Win 94 to 80!               How Sweet It Is! Celtics Win 94 to 80!               How Sweet It Is! Celtics Win 94 to 80!                How Sweet It Is! Celtics Win 94 to 80!               How Sweet It Is! Celtics Win 94 to 80!               How Sweet It Is! Celtics Win 94 to 80!                How Sweet It Is! Celtics Win 94 to 80!

I just wanted to see how you set up the crawl line

Why the color Red (Auerbach?) instead of green?
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #264 on: May 25, 2008, 12:38:41 PM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
A couple of points. First as an old guy who loves defense, I thought Perk was awesome tonight both guarding his man and also in his team defensive rotations. There were times he guarded 3 different people on the same play and made the switches flawlessly. That is incredibly hard to do. Big Baby and Brown did pretty well defensively also.

Secondly the problem the celtics are having with the trap is their spacing. They need to shorten the spacing to allow shorter passes and after they are past the first wave of defenders, you THEN attack. Trying to do it with a single pass just gets it deflected. Basically they are using man-man spacing which doesn't work well with a zone because the first pass is usually off target because of the pressure. You have to give the passer more allowance for errors by making the pass distance shorter.

I disagree about trying to get layups against Detroit. They protect the basket very well. What you have to do is to be able to hit short jumpers like Rondo and Perkins did so they can't cheat on their defensive spacing. That way Pierce is man on man from 15 ft and KG is man on man from 12 ft  

TP to you for your excellent post(from one oldie to another), with which I wholeheartedly agree!

Perk played his best game ever, rotating/switching, going out on the 15 area superbly, hauled down by boxing out HUGE and critical rebounds and two uncharacteristic face up jumpers too! Simply a very solid preformance from the 270lb man!

As well as you noted, solid contrubutions from the bench by BBD & P.J. as well as Poze playing big and solid minutes on "D", again! Cassell settled the team other than one forced pass resulting in a T.O. his shooting and threat helped spread the floor and spell Rondo.

However, I just needed to give you credit mostly for your inciteful and correct coaching perspective as to how to correctly pass out of the trap, which we will see again, IME!

I also like your seeing the importance of the 15 & 12 foot game, as we remember this is what was so very effective against Detroit in that game that BBD had the soft hands to catch and finish with Pierce and Garnett at the 12 foot area making the pass underneath the 'D'... Beautiful inside passing by pulling the D out to 12 foot needs to be exploited against Detroit!!!

"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"