Author Topic: Just Saw Indiana Jones  (Read 12761 times)

Re: Just Saw Indiana Jones
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 11:30:41 PM »

Offline cavman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
#2 was horrible, quite the let down after Raiders.  I really enjoyed Last Crusade.

I don't know if I'll see #4 on the big screen.  Aliens .... did Steven mistakenly place a page or 2 of ET or Close Encounters in there????

I might wait since the reviews are so-so.  I'm not buying a 65 year-old guy able to beat the crap out of everyone.  Not like he's some kung-fu master- he's an archeologist!
"The most important thing is the ability to communicate.  It's not how much you know.  It's how you communicate what you know."  Red

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 01:00:37 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
Easily the worst of the 4, Imho. It starts out great, what you'd expect an Indy film to be. Then it just spirals down into a heap. The alien theme just ruined it for me. Plus that Shia Laboof's character was just [dang] awful.

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 04:16:12 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
It amazes me how many Indy fans rank Last Crusade as the worst of the films.  I definitely enjoyed it more than Temple of Doom (which was still a good flick).

I have yet to see Indy 4, but I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for bringing this up, Roy ... I think "The Last Crusade" was a better movie than "Temple Of Doom", by far! Other than the fact that "Raiders" was such a pioneering masterpiece, I think "Crusade" came very close to meeting it's quality and substance. The special effects in "Temple" were great, of course, but the story itself was nowhere near as good, and the whole evil cult crap was a bit much, and way beyond what I'd consider "Family Fare". Anyway, I personally consider the first and third movies on a much higher level than I do the second, and they also were based, at least somewhat, in actual fact, or historical record, where "Temple" was mostly fantasy.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 09:03:41 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
It amazes me how many Indy fans rank Last Crusade as the worst of the films.  I definitely enjoyed it more than Temple of Doom (which was still a good flick).

I have yet to see Indy 4, but I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for bringing this up, Roy ... I think "The Last Crusade" was a better movie than "Temple Of Doom", by far! Other than the fact that "Raiders" was such a pioneering masterpiece, I think "Crusade" came very close to meeting it's quality and substance. The special effects in "Temple" were great, of course, but the story itself was nowhere near as good, and the whole evil cult crap was a bit much, and way beyond what I'd consider "Family Fare". Anyway, I personally consider the first and third movies on a much higher level than I do the second, and they also were based, at least somewhat, in actual fact, or historical record, where "Temple" was mostly fantasy.

I would agree. with all of this. 
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2008, 09:54:59 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I think  many of you guys are banking too much in to the plot devices, when what has always made Indiana Jones good has been the action scenes and character interactions... those were superb in this one in my opinion. Aliens? Who cares, Indiana Jones has always been about following "legends" that in the real world are untrue, but in his world they're always true... so why not go back and make that Mayan society legend true? True to the vain of Indiana Jones, nothing was ruined here.

Indiana Jones surviving a nuclear blast alone made the movie great. They could've done just about everything wrong, but with that scene alone the movie is worth it  ;).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 10:08:47 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2008, 12:15:46 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
This movie was fun. If you like the first three, you will probably like this one. My rankings:

Raiders
Last Crusade
Crystal Skull
Temple of Doom
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2008, 01:34:01 AM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I thought it was pretty fun. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. I would think that it would be worth watching for anyone who is a fan of Indiana Jones.

One observation - wondering if anyone else feels the same way - I thought Harrison Ford looked a little off his game in this movie. His character was intentionally designed to look, act and feel a little older in this movie - I get that. But aside from that, his acting performance seemed a little rusty - he didn't have that "zing" that makes him such a great actor. Unlike the other poster, I thought Shia LaBeouf was really good.

I was a little nervous going into it when I heard there were aliens, but ultimately, the alien thing worked just fine for me.

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2008, 01:49:28 AM »

Offline cdawg617

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
I really enjoyed it and saw it a second time. It was better the second time around. I would probably rank it after all of the previous three, but that might be nostalgia. Ford refused to die his hair for the film, as he wanted to look older. I thought his look and delivery was a bit off for the first half, but once they got to Peru, he started to be PERFECT and certainly didn't look 20 years older than in Last Crusade. By the time he was reunited with Marion, he was at the pinnacle of his Indy-game. That smiling gasp when he first see's her is PRICELESS.

The Alien thing made sense... they concentrated mostly on the archaelogical aspects and kept the Alien's ambiguous... and I liked how the Aliens were basically archaelogists who took thousands of years of Earth's treasures with them.

Great popcorn flick, just like the others.

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2008, 09:15:09 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2008, 11:41:34 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
Horrible plain a simple. Aliens? This is what you waited 19 years and this is the best plot they could come up with. What a let down. This is one of those movie franchises that didn't need to go this way. I know its fiction, but this was a little way to out there for me. Not the fact that there were aliens, but it was the way they portrayed them at the end that put it over the top. Giving them supernatural powers was a little over the top. I could buy into Independence Day more than this >:( Could have been much better. Also, the villans were a bit weak compared to the ones in past movies.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2008, 12:03:38 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
Horrible plain a simple. Aliens? This is what you waited 19 years and this is the best plot they could come up with. What a let down. This is one of those movie franchises that didn't need to go this way. I know its fiction, but this was a little way to out there for me. Not the fact that there were aliens, but it was the way they portrayed them at the end that put it over the top. Giving them supernatural powers was a little over the top. I could buy into Independence Day more than this >:( Could have been much better. Also, the villans were a bit weak compared to the ones in past movies.

Do all the people complaing about aliens being stupid remember this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq8L0EuGweo

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9VtNBroFVE

???

Larry Bird

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2008, 12:16:27 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591

Do all the people complaing about aliens being stupid remember this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq8L0EuGweo

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9VtNBroFVE

???

I don't mind aliens in movies, just didn't like the way it was done in this one. Radiers had a supernatural them to it and was not as far out there as crystal skeletens comming together and comming back to life. The Ark in biblical times would kill anyone who touched it if they were not a priest. Temple of Doom although not great at least wasn't as far out as this one. It was the ending in this latest one that tipped it for the worse. 
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2008, 12:20:39 PM »

Offline heyjohnny

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
I saw the movie last night and wasn't that thrilled. I thought Cate Blanchett was absolutely gorgeous.
I had a lot more fun watching Ironman.

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2008, 02:38:25 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
I saw the movie last night and wasn't that thrilled. I thought Cate Blanchett was absolutely gorgeous.
I had a lot more fun watching Ironman.

I've never thought she was good looking. Here are a few photos.You decide:

:P :P :P :P :P

Larry Bird

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2008, 02:40:50 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I'm going to hold myself to the "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" theory on that 3rd one.

Yup