Author Topic: No PG, no D  (Read 2815 times)

No PG, no D
« on: May 23, 2008, 07:56:42 AM »

Offline jchamorro

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
Rondo and the Celtics were completely exposed at the PG spot on the offensive end.  They kept doubling off Rondo, neutralizing Pierce or Garnett, whoever Rondo passed to. If he's not going to shoot, he needs to take it to the basket (which he started to do later in the game).  Rondo gets completely frustrated by Billups. The T was evidence of that. 
House wasn't the answer either and I can't really say I have much confidence in Cassell,  but what they did last night wasn't working.
It's unfortunate they didn't develop Gabe Pruitt more during the season, they could have used him.  Their PG situation stalled their offense in the 4th.

As for the Celtics D, the Pistons ran the same play for Rip Hamilton 15 times in the 4th, (exaggeration, it just felt like it)  Billups has the ball on the right side near half court.  Rip runs away from Billups towards the opposite corner, around 3 picks, back towards half court where Billups passes him the ball.  Ray Allen, about 10 feet back, unable to keep up finds himself completely out of the play.  Garnett, or Perkins come in to front Rip either too late, leading to an easy jumper, or a pass to the person they were guarding down low.

Bottom line,  Ray Allen is too slow to guard Rip. Rip is RAllen 5 years ago. Tony Allen clearly wasn't ready to step in, too many careless plays.

The Pistons deserved that one last night.  I don't know if the C's have the crunch time fortitude to eke one out at the Palace,  but it'll be exciting to watch.

Who knows,  maybe Cassell learned something from the benching and comes in on Saturday and makes the difference.

Re: No PG, no D
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 08:01:07 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

It's unfortunate they didn't develop Gabe Pruitt more during the season, they could have used him.  Their PG situation stalled their offense in the 4th.

Yup its the C's fault Pruitt didn't become Chris Paul in 1 year.... I saw the kid at practice this year, and trust me, they are trying to develop him, he doesn't have a great feel for the game yet at the NBA level, more than once Doc had to stop practice to help him through, and the stint in the D league may have been the best thing for him, but he is definitely a few years away, not someone I'd want near the playoff roster right now
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 08:24:46 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

The technical was because Billups kept pushing off and the refs weren't calling it. And the 4th was our highest scoring quarter. The problem in that frame  was more on the defensive end, although it was more a case of Detroit hitting bug shots late in the shot clock than anything else.

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 09:14:31 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The starting PG wasn't that a problem.  Rondo almost had a triple double. 

Yes, he had a bad foul and a bad T. 

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 09:23:06 AM »

Offline Petro

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 6
Bottom Line we were due for a home loss and yes I believe we are due for a road win book it!

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 10:16:43 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

He had some plays that led to turnovers as well - (passing with 3 seconds left on shot clock when he should shoot, etc.) - its funny b/c we've seen he has more and more confidence in his jumper, but he still passes up some wide open looks which lets our big 3 get doubled almost constantly - regardless Rage has come a long way and one game is an abboration, not a trend
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 10:20:29 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I thought Rondo played alright last night. Not great, not bad... just alright. Even with his problems on offense, at the least he made a good effort to move the ball around for the most part. As long as he's doing that, we're in fairly good shape.

He needs to make Detroit pay for leaving him alone though, this is one of those things that can kill our offense.

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 10:24:56 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
PG's don't win championships and they don't lose them either.  I'm tired of hearing about it.  2 teams have won championships when the PG was the best player Isiah's Pistons and Magic's Lakers.  Both of those teams were incredibly deep and had a lot of very strong big men.  In fact Isiah's teams are the only teams where a player under 6'5" has been the best player on a team that won a championship.  Rondo is meaningless to whether or not the Celtics win this series and the one after that.  

And I realize my rant doesn't have much place in this thread, but I'm just so sick and tired of people making a big deal about a PG when that position just doesn't matter.  
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 10:38:03 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

He had some plays that led to turnovers as well - (passing with 3 seconds left on shot clock when he should shoot, etc.) - its funny b/c we've seen he has more and more confidence in his jumper, but he still passes up some wide open looks which lets our big 3 get doubled almost constantly - regardless Rage has come a long way and one game is an abboration, not a trend

People are setting the bar awfully high for Rondo. He made a couple of mistakes with less than 3 seconds on the shot clock. He had one other turnover besides that. But he had 9 rebounds and 3 steals so he's gaining a lot more posessions than he's botching. We didn't lose because of him.

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 11:23:20 AM »

Offline CelticSteve

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Rondo was average last night. Great rebounding- but offensively what he needs to do is: (1) drive to the basket in the middle of the lane and shoot a few floaters and (2) shoot the outside jumper when left open. His shot is fine when he isn’t hesitant. He gets into trouble when he drives- backs out- and they leave him open with the shot clock running down, and then he forces a bad shot or pass. Taking the floater will help him avoid getting his lay up blocked and will also have the benefit of opening up passing lanes to KG and Perk for a few easy lay up baskets. While I love to watch Rondo fake people out when he drives to the basket with that “once-a-game” behind the back hitch move- he seems to have a tendency to miss the shot. The great game he had against the Cavs showed he can drive the middle and complete the floater- he just doesn't include that move in his arsenal and I cannot understand why. It is a great great shot for a point guard- and he can get it done. Rondo has to help himself make his job easier by taking what is given to him.