Author Topic: Tony Allen, defensive stopper?????  (Read 6442 times)

Re: Tony Allen, defensive stopper?????
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 10:08:49 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Does anyone else feel like I do that after Tony's performance last night, we may have seen the last of Tony Allen in a Celtic's uniform unless there's some major injury or foul trouble going on?

I hope so, the faster we get rid of Allen the better off this team will be as far as I'm concerned. Now maybe it's because of the injuries or maybe it's because Tony just can't do what is asked(draw your own references here), but I just don't see that he is appreciably better than he was when he came here 4 years ago.

We've invested enough time in this guy and it's not working. Let's not let him kill our chance at greater things this year. Sit him for good.

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 10:14:30 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I though he was done as soon as he sat out a couple games at the begining of the playoffs. 

It just takes to long to get him going, and even then, he is a below average player because of his offensive (TO) limitations. 

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 10:17:46 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Even if you guys didn't like him playing, we might need him against Detroit if Rip keeps playing like this. My hope is that Posey can keep up with him, or maybe Pierce, so that we don't have to play TA. I just don't see it. Maybe one more chance on Tony to defend him might do the trick. I'd understand if it's not given, but I'd also understand if the chance is given once again.

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 10:19:20 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Even if you guys didn't like him playing, we might need him against Detroit if Rip keeps playing like this. My hope is that Posey can keep up with him, or maybe Pierce, so that we don't have to play TA. I just don't see it. Maybe one more chance on Tony to defend him might do the trick. I'd understand if it's not given, but I'd also understand if the chance is given once again.

Rip abused him. 

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 10:28:07 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Rip is an awfully tough matchup for the Celtics. He has to be the quickest and best player in the league at running around screens and picks.

That said I think where he really kills teams is at the line. He is a deadly accurate free throw shooter and night's where he is getting 6 FTAs or more will ususally mean a big night for Hamilton. The smartest thing to do is play good deny defense and never go for any of his headfakes. Let him shoot a contested shot but never try to block it. Just don't give him an extra 6-10 points a night at the line.

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 10:31:33 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Rip abused him. 

As I've said already countless times, I know. But just the same, Rip abused everyone else not named Ray. From a physical standpoint, Tony Allen should have the best chance against him, so I'd give him a try. Once again, he abused Posey just the same, which led to bringing Tony to the floor.  Maybe with practice today, some better instructions on how to defend Rip, Posey or Tony will step up. First chance goes to Posey, but he needs to be able to at the least bother him.

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 10:55:35 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I have been an unabashed Tony Allen hater for a long time, and last night he made it so easy for me.  He bit on EVERY upfake (clearly learning nothing from the .1 foul on Billups earlier this season).

The real proof is in the +/- stat found on nba.com

Tony Allen played just 4:44, and yet in that 5 minute span the Celtics were outscored by 10 (while it may not be all TA's fault, it's clear he was not helping...

Baby's +/- was not good either, which just shows Doc needs to stick with his 8-9 man rotation for good this series.  You can't cheat and keep your starters out for 4-5 minutes at a time, Detroit is too good for that.  There needs to be 3 starters on the court at all times for the duration of the playoffs, they kept the starter's minutes down all season for a reason!

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008, 11:41:22 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I said it before the series and I'll say it again, I don't think Tony Allen is a good enough defender to stay with Hamilton. He's not smart enough to stick with him through all those screens off the ball.

If Tony is to play in this series I want him on Chauncey Billups. Someone who he can actually defend.