Author Topic: Tony Allen, defensive stopper?????  (Read 6451 times)

Tony Allen, defensive stopper?????
« on: May 23, 2008, 12:32:43 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Tony Allen came over to my house after the game for a beer.

My dog came in the room and moved his head up and down.

Tony, being the great defensive stopper that he is, jumped so high in the air thinking my dog was going to shoot that he busted through the ceiling.

Can someone please come over and help me get Tony out of my ceiling.

Or should we leave him there because it's obvious he doesn't belong on the floor?

Re: Tony Allen, defensive stopper?????
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 12:34:13 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I have more of a problem with him turning the ball over on offense, than his defensive "specialties."

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 12:34:33 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He helped the Pistons guards really heat up.

The problem is still it takes a couple (if the Celtics are lucky) of games to get his game going if he has been out for a while. 

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 12:39:53 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

The problem is still it takes a couple (if the Celtics are lucky) of games to get his game going if he has been out for a while. 

The person that did that was Posey. He couldn't keep up with Rip. Tony Allen didn't do a much better job either, but he kept with him better.  Ray Allen's defense was incredibily good tonight, too bad he got into foul trouble and couldn't stay to guard Rip through more of it.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 12:54:23 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

The person that did that was Posey. He couldn't keep up with Rip. Tony Allen didn't do a much better job either, but he kept with him better.  Ray Allen's defense was incredibily good tonight, too bad he got into foul trouble and couldn't stay to guard Rip through more of it.
Ray's foul trouble wasn't all Ray's fault, there were 2 calls that I thought were pretty lame considering the way the rest of the game was being called.

As for Tony, he was awful tonight. He bit on just about every headfake. Actually in the first half just about everyone did.

But I never in any way saw anything from Tony that deserves him being given the label of a defensive stopper.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 12:59:46 AM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
He played 4 minutes and 44 seconds.     

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 01:00:29 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

And the Celtics were outscored by 10 points in those few minutes. 

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 01:15:53 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Tony definitely hurt us tonight.  Didn't provide the spark defensively and certainly didnt seem in sync with the rest of the guys on the offensive end.  And those free throws....   ::)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 01:23:24 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Tony definitely hurt us tonight.  Didn't provide the spark defensively and certainly didnt seem in sync with the rest of the guys on the offensive end.  And those free throws....   ::)
I walked out to the kitchen to get a beer after calling he would choke on them.

I came back and was sorely depressed with the fact that I know Tony Allen and his game too well.

I haven't seen the FTAs but my son said they weren't even close.

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 01:26:18 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I walked out to the kitchen to get a beer after calling he would choke on them.

I came back and was sorely depressed with the fact that I know Tony Allen and his game too well.

I haven't seen the FTAs but my son said they weren't even close.

Let's just say that if those FTAs were a girl, it'd take a 12 pack and 5 shots of Jager before you'd consider taking her home.

(Not the best analogy but I just got home and I'm tired)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 03:23:21 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35

I agree with you.  He needs "extra" exposure and time to get his game going.  It's not like TA is downright stupid.  He has some flashes and his A-game has yet to come out. We need him and Sam in this series especially that the Detroit guards are not really totally dominant on both ends of the floor.  Detroit has a good guards rotation (ie Billups, Rip, Stuckey and Hunter). We have our own guards to match them well (ie Rondo, Sam, and the Allens). This is one series where we don't need much of House's arsenal because he can easily be checked and shut down.
TA is badly needed because Detroit relies heavily on their guards. If he has to give up all of his 6 personal fouls alloted to him every game, so be it.  We need players who can sacrifice.  If they send in Stuckey or Hunter, we might as well send TA in too and let him showcase the offensive and defensive ooh's and aah's he displayed before. He can take these guys. We lost by 6 points. Stuckey and Hunter combined for 17 points! I guess Game 2 all boiled down to these 2 Detroit guards' contributions.

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 06:17:45 AM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
more minutes for tony allen means better d....with that brace on ive seen allen play good d but gettin no minutes and all of a sudden gettin of the bench you know he is going to be off a lil..he is a scorer as well..he needs more floor time

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 06:29:36 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Bass- I agree he needs more floor time to be effective, but this isn't the time or place. Like you say, he's been sitting too long. Just too risky, and not enough upside IMO. Even when he's playing well, he's hit or miss. And when he's not playing well, forget it. You know, like the girl with the curl, or something.

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 07:53:09 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

And the Celtics were outscored by 10 points in those few minutes. 

Doc's worst decision of the game.  Play Pierce or Eddie at off-guard.  Tony is terrible. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 09:07:02 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I agree with you.  He needs "extra" exposure and time to get his game going.  It's not like TA is downright stupid.  He has some flashes and his A-game has yet to come out. We need him and Sam in this series especially that the Detroit guards are not really totally dominant on both ends of the floor.  Detroit has a good guards rotation (ie Billups, Rip, Stuckey and Hunter). We have our own guards to match them well (ie Rondo, Sam, and the Allens). This is one series where we don't need much of House's arsenal because he can easily be checked and shut down.
TA is badly needed because Detroit relies heavily on their guards. If he has to give up all of his 6 personal fouls alloted to him every game, so be it.  We need players who can sacrifice.  If they send in Stuckey or Hunter, we might as well send TA in too and let him showcase the offensive and defensive ooh's and aah's he displayed before. He can take these guys. We lost by 6 points. Stuckey and Hunter combined for 17 points! I guess Game 2 all boiled down to these 2 Detroit guards' contributions.

It is not just minutes that Tony needs to get going. 

And by the time Tony plays enough games to get going, it will be next season. 

It is to late to use Tony like this.