Author Topic: Fans at the Garden  (Read 4702 times)

Fans at the Garden
« on: May 23, 2008, 12:08:17 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Hey guys, I have never actually been to a Celtic's game. I don't know why, I've been a fan all my life but whenever I get tickets it's always for the Redsox. Anyways, At the beginning of the game it seems loud on tv, but by the time it gets to the middle of the game it always seems to quiet down.(I could be wrong) They were discussing the issue on WEEI during the Atlanta series that the Atlanta fans seemed to be a lot louder than the Boston fans. I also thought the Cav's fans seemed louder too. Whenever we take a free throw on the road (which is rare) you see thunder sticks and not only are the people behind the net making noise, the whole building is. When I see road teams taking free throw shots at Boston there are 1) No thunder sticks. 2) Only people standing up waving their arms for the first ten or so rows behind the basket. 3) Everybody beyond the first ten rows just sitting there. Now once again I've never seen a Celtics game in person so I'm not completely sure if I'm right, but the way it looks to me and the way the guys on WEEI were talking about it, why aren't we more loud?

P.S. I watched the 4th quarter against the Nets in the ECF that was posted on here earlier today. The Garden seemed a lot louder in that game than tonight's crowd.

Re: Fans at the Garden
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 12:12:37 AM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
I was at game 1.

Trust me...it's loud.

I understand that we don't have those thundersticks or whatever, hell we're given free shirts in the atlanta and cleveland series in an attempt to turn the whole crowd into a sea of green but that didn't seem to work.

And actually, I'm glad.  I'm glad here in Boston we're on our fans and we wear what we want to wear.  We seem to be more proud of the jerseys we own than free playoff rally tshirts.  I'm also glad that we don't seem to use those rags or towels or whatever they are.  I freakin hate those things and I'm glad we don't use them haha.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 12:13:28 AM »

Offline Raygus

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 19
the pistons did a great job of killing the crowd by executing their offense at key times. everytime they had an open look down the stretch, they hit the shot. its difficult for a crowd to stay up when the visiting team is playing like the pistons did tonight.

and thunder sticks are terrible - even though a few of the fans do have them. i think they're the worst invention of the decade, and the fact that they are so wide spread makes me hate the los angeles angels of anaheim even more than i already do for their rediculous name.

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 12:17:58 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I think the reason is simple: How many people do you know who work 9-5 jobs during the week?  How many of them are full of energy at 10:30 on a Tuesday or Thursday night?  Not that many, unless they are under 25.  A good portion of the road games (Cleveland/Atlanta) happened to fall on weekends, where people tend to have more energy, which explains the fired up crowds.  For the record, I was at Cavs Game 7, which was a Sunday afternoon and the crowd was amazing.

It's the same reason the Sox/Rockies World Series got poor rating and sleepy fans...the games started at almost 9 on a weeknight, when the average person is starting to relax and get ready for bed at night.

Tough to combat human routine, even for the playoffs.  Were you referencing the 2002 ECF against the Nets?  Games 3 and 4 in Boston were on a Saturday afternoon and Memorial Day afternoon, respectively, so the crowd would be much more fired up then.  "The comeback" in Game 3 was at about 6pm on Saturday.  Basically the games are too late at night on a weeknight for the average fan, unfortunately.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 12:21:41 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
Oh don't get me wrong i can't stand thunder sticks or the rags or anything like that either, i like the game to be played the way Red would have wanted it, just basketball. But we need to at least be loud, if we're not going to use those things. I also understand the crowd being quieted by the Piston's good shooting, but when the Celtics foul to make people earn it at the line the visitors have an advantage. I guess I just find that to be a little frustrating. Not that it matters I'm sticking by my prediction that the Celtics take this series in 5 or 6 after they finally win one on the road.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 12:27:48 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
I think the reason is simple: How many people do you know who work 9-5 jobs during the week?  How many of them are full of energy at 10:30 on a Tuesday or Thursday night?  Not that many, unless they are under 25.  A good portion of the road games (Cleveland/Atlanta) happened to fall on weekends, where people tend to have more energy, which explains the fired up crowds.  For the record, I was at Cavs Game 7, which was a Sunday afternoon and the crowd was amazing.

It's the same reason the Sox/Rockies World Series got poor rating and sleepy fans...the games started at almost 9 on a weeknight, when the average person is starting to relax and get ready for bed at night.

Tough to combat human routine, even for the playoffs.  Were you referencing the 2002 ECF against the Nets?  Games 3 and 4 in Boston were on a Saturday afternoon and Memorial Day afternoon, respectively, so the crowd would be much more fired up then.  "The comeback" in Game 3 was at about 6pm on Saturday.  Basically the games are too late at night on a weeknight for the average fan, unfortunately.

Tommy Point. I guess that does explain it, I'm 19 and I'm always awake for these games, especially being on a college campus when the Sox won the series with about 500 drunk kids dancing around to the Dropkick Murphy's after the win. And game 7 against the Cavs was loud and game 7 against the Hawks was also loud, I wasn't at my house so I couldn't watch it, but listening to it on the radio you could hear the crowd was insane.

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 01:06:13 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
It's loud.  For whatever reasons, the acoustics of the arena just don't pick up well on television or something.  As a season ticket holder and someone who has personally attended the postseason, I can attest to the place rockin'.  When the game has been close or the Celtics are on a tear, the crowd gets into it.  It's those spurts where the opposition is on a roll or there is sloppiness on both sides, it subsides.  That's natural for any sports venue.

Funny thing is that when I watch youtube clips or ESPN highlights, it just doesn't resonate the same. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 01:09:39 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Also, just one last thing to add.  Game 3 of the 2002 Eastern Conference Finals against the Nets is still the loudest I have ever heard that arena.  I had the fortune of attending that one live and I don't think I've ever witnessed a sports venue shaking and rockin' as loud as I did that day.

Part of that, and its just a guess by me, is that that postseason had a much different vibe from a fan perspective and going to the Garden was not the "chic" thing to do.  Thus, more intense fans populating the stands.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 02:38:04 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I was at game 1.

Trust me...it's loud.

I understand that we don't have those thundersticks or whatever, hell we're given free shirts in the atlanta and cleveland series in an attempt to turn the whole crowd into a sea of green but that didn't seem to work.

And actually, I'm glad.  I'm glad here in Boston we're on our fans and we wear what we want to wear.  We seem to be more proud of the jerseys we own than free playoff rally tshirts.  I'm also glad that we don't seem to use those rags or towels or whatever they are.  I freakin hate those things and I'm glad we don't use them haha.

We do use towels. They have given them away in half the playoff games so far.

I find that we have a lot of pretentious fans, and a lot of curmudgeons. The pretentious fans refuse to wear Celtics gear and refuse to cheer, because they would rather look stylish and they are above the fanboy antics. The curmudgeons don't really cheer. They just whine and complain on every missed Celtics shot and every point given up. The are anti-home court advantage fans.

I am amazed at the number of fans who refuse to wear the giveaway t-shirts, despite the t-shirts being their size, and despite the fact that they are wearing casual clothing anyway. Too many people seem like they just want to attend an event, and that means those of us who are passionate have to make up the difference.

Personally, there were times when I found it tough tonight to maintain my energy due to being troubled about the flow of the game. Nevertheless, I forced myself. It can be tough when we aren't looking good.

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 02:45:26 AM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
Anyways, At the beginning of the game it seems loud on tv, but by the time it gets to the middle of the game it always seems to quiet down.(I could be wrong)

ESPM, TNT, ABC will lower crowd noise at times.  Like when the BS, BS, BS,  chant rains down.

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 09:25:01 AM »

Offline putinrondo

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
Let me just start off by saying that the maniacs in sections 327, 326 or 325 (somewhere in there anyway, can't exactly pinpoint it, but its near the Tufts family area) are fantastic.  They start chants constantly and are totally into the game. I really wish they were in 329 with me. 

Now, save for those guys, the crowds around me for game 1 & 2 have been generally atrocious.  I'm not recognizing a lot of people, so I can only assume people are selling their tickets, which is totally understandable since we're all low on funds from paying for playoff tickets.  People have been getting yelled at for standing and cheering, but its perfectly acceptable to just walk to the bathroom/concession in the middle of a play.

The loudest the crowd in my area got last night were for the Red Sox score and F!@*%$# KNOCKOUT last night.  People had no idea who JoJo or Havlicek were.  When the Celts went on a run, they'd be loud, but if they were down, people were sitting on their hands.  I don't understand why you'd blow $60+ to sit quietly.  People should just save their money if they don't want to yell and watch at home.

Of course as someone mentioned earlier, the games are pretty late.  I know with my hours of 6-2:30, I'm completely dead they day after a game, I have the luxury of not caring about my job and only being 25 unlike others though, so I'll scream/yell/chant/clap at any oppurtunity. 

Hopefully the faithful come out in full force for game 5, I look forward to seeing the people I saw in the first 2 rounds.   

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 09:40:50 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
I was at game 1.

Trust me...it's loud.

Yea I was at game one as well and it was pretty loud. Teams like the Miami Heat need to tell their fans what to wear (white shirts). I say as long as you have some Celtic clothing on that will work. All those gimics are lame. Real fans don't need to be told what to wear.

Other problem is you have alot of fair weather fans at the game. I mean I spent $75 bucks on a ticket in the Pavelion which is a pretty bad view. Not to mention $7 dollar beers. Any decent seat is going to cost you $175 and up. Not sure how the typical fan can afford to go to any game. Anyway I'll be happy to watch the rest of the games at home in front of my HD TV. Can't beat that view, unless I'm sitting in Randy Moss's seat.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 10:42:23 AM by acieEarl »

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 10:11:11 AM »

Offline MattD

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 46
I've been to all the playoff games so far and last night's was the most muted, especially in the first half.  I think it was a combination of the rain (it was a very late arriving crowd), the late start, the tickets getting more expensive each round, the lack of polarizing players on the Pistons, and a bit of frustration from fans who now come to home playoff games almost expecting to see the C's build a solid lead.  When TA missed his free-throws towards the end of the first half, there was murmured booing -- way to show your support, folks.  But the crowd picked up in the second half, responding when Ray came to life, shouting "defense" even when not prompted by the scoreboard, etc.

Honestly I think the best crowd so far these playoffs was the first game against Atlanta, when everyone chanted "let's go Celtics" to drown out the Atlanta player introductions.  That's been the real "moment" of the playoffs so far.  None of the games has been as loud or excited as that game against the Nets in the ECF -- that was the best crowd I've ever been part of -- but I actually wonder if, now that we've lost a game at home, the crowd will pick up a bit as we'll feel the need to re-exert our home supremacy.

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 03:37:33 PM »

Offline milloy03

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
Was also at Game 1 and my first Celtic game at the Garden. It was the loudest building I have been in and I've been to a number of sporting events. The constant chants of defense and Lets Go Celtics, plus the whole game experience during timeouts is phenomenal. Went to a Bobcats/Hornets game down in Charlotte when UConn was at the Car Care Bowl and almost fell asleep.

Only complaint I came away with that really wasn't a big deal was w/a rule that I had heard about, but didn't actually think was true. What is w/a person having to be 25 to buy a beer in the Garden. We came up from CT and luckily pregamed at my friends apartment in the city, but we were both 23 and couldnt get a beer. Guy next to us was nice enough to get us a couple throughout the game, but it was an inconvenience. Never had a problem like this at Fenway/Gillette or a couple bars in the city for that matter. Is this a MA law that only the Garden seems to enforce??

BTW..just got my voice back to complain about a couple calls against Ray in Game 2 (2 days after I attended). Hoping to get my hands on a couple more tickets rest of the way, thought extras went on sale today at 12 on ticketmaster for Game 5, but turns out was at 11 and were all sold out. Still cant believe I got Loge seats for only 150 the day before game 1, don't know how that was possible.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 03:46:47 PM by milloy03 »

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 03:47:27 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Also, just one last thing to add.  Game 3 of the 2002 Eastern Conference Finals against the Nets is still the loudest I have ever heard that arena.  I had the fortune of attending that one live and I don't think I've ever witnessed a sports venue shaking and rockin' as loud as I did that day.

Part of that, and its just a guess by me, is that that postseason had a much different vibe from a fan perspective and going to the Garden was not the "chic" thing to do.  Thus, more intense fans populating the stands.

Same here.  My son and I have season tickets and we always say, "remember how loud it was during the New Jersey playoff comeback game?"  I have never heard the building louder.  I can still hear the defense cheer from that day.  It was deafening.

As for the green shirts and the towels, I put those in the same cateogry as the dancing girls.  That is hooterville stuff and it all would make Red sick.  But, I guess that is what the new generation of fans wants.  They aren't there to watch the game, but are there for the production and to get on what Mayor Mumbles calls the Jumbletrom.