Author Topic: it was NOT the refs  (Read 12708 times)

Re: it was NOT the refs
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2008, 02:33:42 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Yeah, Hamilton driving the lane with his knee up and hits PP was NOT a foul....

Holy missing the point...

TP, guava, for a much more succinct rebuttal than mine was.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2008, 02:41:01 AM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
lol, when faced with contradictory information some just deny it...

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2008, 06:24:22 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
No, it wasn't as blatant as some games, but like another poster stated, the Pistons and Spurs get away with so much crap because they foul on pretty much every play and the refs become conditioned to it- can't call 100 fouls in a game. How about the play where Rondo was obviously tripped on a drive? You can actually see the ref's thought process- "It's only Rondo, he's not a superstar, these are the Pistons, we don't give him the call". 
But overall, I don't think the refs had too much to do with the outcome last night. C's just weren't going to win, simply didn't play well enough.

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2008, 06:36:33 AM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
uhhhhhh the past few series it HAS been the refs. Tonight, not so much so, although they did miss a few key calls (hamilton's driving floater was charge).

C's take AT LEAST one game on the road. You heard it here.

I too think I saw a tendency of the refs to keep the lesser teams in the games by less-than-balanced calls.  That said, I think the Celtics gave the refs little choice last night with the way they played.  If I had a particular bone to pick, it was that fictional third foul on Ray Allen that hurt.

Still, severely outplaying the other team is the best way to avoid the effect of poor or biased officiating.  I'm hoping we improve our play here on out.

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2008, 07:12:50 AM »

Offline fmf2

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 11
I thought there were bad calls both ways. We needed to get a a few stops in the last 5 minutes and really didn't.

The second quarter was bad, too. The bench did not step up when they were needed.   

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2008, 08:37:44 AM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
The refs were atrocious tonight, but that is normal in a Pistons game.  The Pistons clutch and grab all game long until the refs are just worn down from their constant hacking.  When the opponent does the same thing once in a while, it's called a foul every time.  That is "Dee-troit Basketball" in a nutshell, and has been since the late '80s.  The Spurs are not far behind in this category.  They play the refs' game, and they get the refs' calls.  To say the refs were a non-factor in tonight's game is just blind.  Yeah, we could have played better, but we shouldn't have to outplay the other team by 20 points to win by 1, know what I mean?

you hit the nail on the head, TP for you.

-lindsey hunter grabs ral allen's arm, takes the ball, starts to dribble, falls, they nail allen for the foul.
-mcdyess scores on a nice give and go. abotu 2 seconds after the ball goes in, he hits the ground. glen davis is given a foul even though he never touhced anyone.
-billups sticks out his leg on a three pointer, kicks eddie house in the groin, gets rewarded with three shots. van gundy calls this a skill.
-hamilton puts the ball in allen's chest, jumps up, semi-heaves the ball towards the rim, gets out on the line. (this was right after sheed's T, an absolute joke).
-hamilton, in the final minutes, gets a 30 foot running start, runs over pierce, throws it in. game over.

two of allen's 5 fouls were bad calls, causing him to miss a lot of the third quarter. we climbed back into the game, then with allen on the bench, the pistons are able to push their leab back to 9 at the end of three.

i thought the refs stunk last night, but that is typical for a pistons game. that is what they have been doing for 20 years, the refs were fine until sheed got the T. after that, they might as well have let dumars, thomas, and mahorn ref the game.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2008, 09:24:29 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Geez guys.....you may as well just give up now as obviously the refs are out to get the Celtics once again.  The Celtics probably would have been undefeated this year if it wasn't for those pesky refs and their hate of all things Boston.  ::)

Some of you really need to pay attention to these games.  Watch Kevin Garnett for a full game and count the number of pushes he is allowed to get away with.  Watch Paul Pierce go barreling into the lane, completely out of control, spin into someone and get the blocking call. 

Calls go both ways, get used to it and stop blaming the refs. 

Rip's drive and floater at the end of the game was not a charge.  He released the ball and was on his way back down from his jump when he hit Pierce.  You have to have position established before the player starts his jump for a charge, Pierce treid to sneak in at the end.  Now, its possible that the refs could have called an offensive foul there, but the basket still would have counted since the foul would have happened after the shot.

As for the foul on Sheed at the end of the game, yes you can be a little more physical near the end of the game, NO, you can not hook and hold a player while your guard comes charging in over the top and crashes in to both players.  Just because Wallace didn't fall down doesn't mean it wasn't a foul (this is why diving is becoming so prevalent).

If you are looking to place blame how about blaming the ridiculously slow rotation to Sheed on the Hamilton curls.  Sheed had a wide open shot every time because no one rotated.  Blame the pathetic defense off the inbound with 3 seconds left on the shot clock that left Billups wide open for a lay up.  Or try blaming the well drawn up play that had KG shooting a 3 at the end of the game. 

Sometimes the Celtics just don't play well enough to win, it happens.  They were the best road team in the league and now they finally have to win one on the road.  I think they will win Saturday night.

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2008, 09:30:20 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
our lack of D down the stretch killed us.  our offense was sticking with them shot for shot.

No question our D was lacking tonight. Celts D shouldn't let any team get more than 85 points. Pistons had alot of open looks tonight and second opportunities from offense rebounds. Pistons don't even have a great offense and the Celts got burn for 103.

Pistons looked like the veteran team that they are and the celts looked like a dumb inexperienced team last night. Gotta get one in Detroit.

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2008, 11:33:20 AM »

Offline The MadLad

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
can we just stop with blaming the refs every time we lose?  the better team won tonight.  for every call that went our way i can point out a call that went their way.  you only notice the calls against us because that is what you are looking for.

whos blaming the refs? your the first person to post, so its no one in this thread. and there arent any other topics complaining about the refs, so why are you making an issue out of a non-issue?
cant you stop complaining about the complaining about the refs?

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2008, 11:37:17 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
can we just stop with blaming the refs every time we lose?  the better team won tonight.  for every call that went our way i can point out a call that went their way.  you only notice the calls against us because that is what you are looking for.

whos blaming the refs? your the first person to post, so its no one in this thread. and there arent any other topics complaining about the refs, so why are you making an issue out of a non-issue?

Read the rest of the discussion  and you will see a  lot of people complaining about the refs, it's the nature of Boston sports fans, looking for excuses. After we lost last night I thought to myself  "I wonder how many people will blame the loss on the refs". It's a fact that people blame the refs and the guy was trying to tell people before they began ranting that it wasn't the refs fault, which it wasn't.

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2008, 12:19:02 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9

Read the rest of the discussion  and you will see a  lot of people complaining about the refs, it's the nature of Boston sports fans, looking for excuses. After we lost last night I thought to myself  "I wonder how many people will blame the loss on the refs". It's a fact that people blame the refs and the guy was trying to tell people before they began ranting that it wasn't the refs fault, which it wasn't.

So why did the Boston sports fans barely complain about the reffing in the 1st 2 Cleveland loses?

The Refs weren't the sole reason but they were a contributor.
Ray Allen not being able to guard Hamilton because of foul trouble was huge.

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2008, 12:41:54 PM »

Offline The MadLad

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
 your right i should of read page 2, and didnt.

of course there were bad calls and missed calls, its the NBA! so in a game like last night, the refs were bad, but for the most part they were consistently bad. i dont think you can complain about that. cleveland and atlanta were much worse.

the only real complaint i have is the play when ray stole the ball from rip on the baseline, and they called a foul because ray got some of rips arm too. but then in the 3rd, ray had the ball, rip came on a double team and took the ball from ray, and they called a foul on ray for pushing. i think it was a push, but hamilton taking the ball from Ray was the same exact play as Ray taking the ball from Rip! if one is a foul, then so is the other. and because those were both fouls on ray, that was a crucial miss-call by the officials. but thats a typical nba ref miss call.

the refs didnt lose this game. our defense was below average and we gave them WAAAAY too many 2nd chance points. 

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2008, 12:55:59 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Geez guys.....you may as well just give up now as obviously the refs are out to get the Celtics once again.  The Celtics probably would have been undefeated this year if it wasn't for those pesky refs and their hate of all things Boston.  ::)

Some of you really need to pay attention to these games.  Watch Kevin Garnett for a full game and count the number of pushes he is allowed to get away with.  Watch Paul Pierce go barreling into the lane, completely out of control, spin into someone and get the blocking call. 

Calls go both ways, get used to it and stop blaming the refs. 

Rip's drive and floater at the end of the game was not a charge.  He released the ball and was on his way back down from his jump when he hit Pierce.  You have to have position established before the player starts his jump for a charge, Pierce treid to sneak in at the end.  Now, its possible that the refs could have called an offensive foul there, but the basket still would have counted since the foul would have happened after the shot.

As for the foul on Sheed at the end of the game, yes you can be a little more physical near the end of the game, NO, you can not hook and hold a player while your guard comes charging in over the top and crashes in to both players.  Just because Wallace didn't fall down doesn't mean it wasn't a foul (this is why diving is becoming so prevalent).

If you are looking to place blame how about blaming the ridiculously slow rotation to Sheed on the Hamilton curls.  Sheed had a wide open shot every time because no one rotated.  Blame the pathetic defense off the inbound with 3 seconds left on the shot clock that left Billups wide open for a lay up.  Or try blaming the well drawn up play that had KG shooting a 3 at the end of the game. 

Sometimes the Celtics just don't play well enough to win, it happens.  They were the best road team in the league and now they finally have to win one on the road.  I think they will win Saturday night.

good to hear from you...i figured you and LeBaby had gone fishin'  :)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2008, 02:22:08 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129

good to hear from you...i figured you and LeBaby had gone fishin'  :)

haha!  Nope, still around.  LeBaby is off trying to figure out how to win championships with D league teammates and I am still chatting basketball and busy telling fans that it'd not the ref's fault.

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2008, 04:17:02 PM »

Offline Section 87

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 56
I ran into an intense Celtics fan on Causeway St. after game one of the conference finals vs. Detroit. It seems he had missed some of the news. He was still ranting about how Stern and the refs conspired to give round 2 to the Cavaliers. As he told it, the league wanted Cleveland to play Detoit, so he coerced the refs into giving the series to Cleveland. The disconnect from reality was hilarious. The fact that the C's won the series didn't seem to be relevant to him.

Meanwhile, legions of Cleveland fans are absolutely positive that the league wanted Boston to play Detroit, so the refs gave round 2 to the Celtics. They can cite numerous bad calls and missed calls that went in favor of Boston, but they seem to simply ignore the bad calls that went in Cleveland's favor. It's pretty funny comparing the Stern/Officiating conspiracy theories from around the league. Nobody seems to complain when a bad call favors their own team ... but all the bad calls that go against their own team are conclusive proof that the refs hate their team or love the opponents.

;D