Author Topic: Charles Barkley: the difference between Lebron and MJ  (Read 8448 times)

Charles Barkley: the difference between Lebron and MJ
« on: May 21, 2008, 09:08:39 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Barkley is breaking down the Spurs vs. Lakers, and was making the point on how important it is for Kobe to contain Ginobli.  He thinks Kobe can do it.

In making that comparison, though, he made the following comment (and I paraphrase): "You know the different between Lebron and Michael Jordan?  Michael wouldn't have let Paul Pierce score 41 on him".

Haha.  Even when he's breaking down the Spurs / Lakers, Charles is taking a shot at Pierce and the Celtics.  He's probably right, though; Michael was about as close to a lock down defender as you'll find from a shooting guard.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Charles Barkley: the difference between Lebron and MJ
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 09:17:06 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Barkley is breaking down the Spurs vs. Lakers, and was making the point on how important it is for Kobe to contain Ginobli.  He thinks Kobe can do it.

In making that comparison, though, he made the following comment (and I paraphrase): "You know the different between Lebron and Michael Jordan?  Michael wouldn't have let Paul Pierce score 41 on him".

Haha.  Even when he's breaking down the Spurs / Lakers, Charles is taking a shot at Pierce and the Celtics.  He's probably right, though; Michael was about as close to a lock down defender as you'll find from a shooting guard.

I agree...no need for the back handed insult but its true...well a 28-29 year old jordan wouldn't have let Pierce or anyone score 41 on him...a 23 year old jordan might've

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 09:24:30 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I'm not sure Michael would've been able to stop Pierce the way he was playing that day though.  He was ridiculous because Pierce was well guarded, he made some [dang] good shots... breaking double teams, etc.  Pierce didn't hit 41 on LeBron, he hit 41 on the entire Cavs team, he was impossible to stop.

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 09:41:41 PM »

Offline PlayRyanGomes

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 16
I think Lebron's defense is underrated.  There's not many guys who could have guarded Pierce that well over a 7 game series.  Even with that 41 point game he held Pierce to 40% shooting.
I'm just a celticsblogger.  We gonna blog on a sock, we gonna blog on a sock.

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 09:53:16 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I thought LeBron's defense below the three point line was exceptional. He got in trouble above the three point line, didn't understand the angles, where his help was, where to force the ball, didn't know how close to get on the ball, when to reach or just let the play develop. Those types of things.

His game seven defense was his worst of the series. It was well below his normal level in the first quarter. He picked it up as the game went on but it was quite inconsistent.

Bron's a developing defender. More to come. Very good, will be brilliant.

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 09:56:17 PM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
MJ vs. pierce? how bout MJ vs. anyone, chuck?  ::)

besides, P squared woulda been pippen's assignment...jordan would maybe switch and help double, but would have to stay honest with his D on ray ray.

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 10:43:01 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

But Chuck said 45. He didn't even know it was 41. Chuck doesn't pay attention, or his bills....

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 10:59:26 PM »

Offline BleedinGreen417

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
I thought LeBron's defense below the three point line was exceptional. He got in trouble above the three point line, didn't understand the angles, where his help was, where to force the ball, didn't know how close to get on the ball, when to reach or just let the play develop. Those types of things.

His game seven defense was his worst of the series. It was well below his normal level in the first quarter. He picked it up as the game went on but it was quite inconsistent.

Bron's a developing defender. More to come. Very good, will be brilliant.
Who, I appreciate the insight in your analysis of LeBron's defense.

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 12:11:39 AM »

Offline Frontierboy

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Barkley talking about defense is messed up..... if I remember correctly he wasn't a premier defender back in his playing days so what would he know

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 12:25:16 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
you remember incorrectly, although he wasn't a great on the ball defender, but he was a phenomenal weak side shot blocker, ala camby.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 12:30:20 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Charles goes out of his way to take a cheap shot at Paul once a week.

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 12:32:00 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

But Chuck said 45. He didn't even know it was 41. Chuck doesn't pay attention, or his bills....

This is great, liam! Pretty much sums up what Chuck is all about! TP
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 01:21:54 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

This is great, liam! Pretty much sums up what Chuck is all about! TP

Thanks.

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 06:44:31 AM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Barkley may be right about MJ not letting Paul score 41 in a deciding victory but I wonder if MJ could have held Lebron to as low a field goal percentage as Paul did in this series?

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 07:50:21 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Barkley may be right about MJ not letting Paul score 41 in a deciding victory but I wonder if MJ could have held Lebron to as low a field goal percentage as Paul did in this series?

Well, if Pierce and the Celts could do it, I see no reason MJ and the Bulls couldn't.  I'm not taking a shot at Pierce in any way, but Michael was a much better defender than him, as was Pippen, and those Bulls teams played phenomenal team defense, especially once they signed Rodman.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions