Author Topic: Wages of Wins on Celtics in the Playoffs  (Read 1286 times)

Wages of Wins on Celtics in the Playoffs
« on: May 21, 2008, 05:34:03 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
http://www.wagesofwins.com/Boston2Post0708.html

I actually respect the Wages of Wins work quite a bit.  I think they usually hit the nail on the head with their formula pretty well.  Somewhat surprised was I, then, when I saw their results on the Celtics players after the first 2 rounds of the playoffs.  The two biggest drop offs from the regular season?  Paul Pierce and Leon Powe.

But before you discount it for suggesting Pierce has been "worse" than Ray Allen thus far, as I initially thought, realize that it is in comparison to regular season performance.  And, outside of one brilliant game and 2 or 3 above average games from Pierce in the first 2 rounds, he was actually pretty bad out there.  Allen, on the other hand, also had a few pretty solid games early in the 1st round, and also was less effective than Pierce during the regular season... thus the bigger drop off for Pierce.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 05:46:56 PM by Big Ticket »

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: Wages of Wins on Celtics in the Playoffs
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 06:07:33 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
My eyes tell me KG has had the most consistent and positive impact during the playoffs.

Posey has played well in a couple games and Rondo has played well in home games for the most part.

PP has been steady overall when you count his defense during the playoffs...his offense has not been the same but he's in a groove now so watch out!

Ray's drop off has been significant and you could probably say 4 maybe 5 guys have played better than Ray in the playoffs....who would have thought?