Author Topic: Why are we so Glum?  (Read 5601 times)

Why are we so Glum?
« on: May 21, 2008, 02:50:40 PM »

Offline newdusk

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Have you noticed as we get through every series people react as if the Celtics lost. Everybody thinks this team is just a ticking time bomb ready to explode. Somehow we are the Eastern Conference version of the Dallas Mavericks. I have never seen a more unhappy group of writers/fans when they have a team thats in the ECF. People were not even this pessimistic in 2002.

I have to point the finger at myself first. After the Super Bowl I think a lot of Boston/New England sports fans lost their swagger. I also see a lot of bad signs. KG settling for jump shots. Ray Allen turning into a 'decoy' rather then a threat. It's almost as if this team seems scared, as if they don't belong. I see a lot of fans get excited but everyone has their finger on the button waiting to give you the "I told you so." Bill Simmmons wrote an extremely negative article on KG in the wake of beating last years defending Eastern Conference champions.

It's hard to be proud of this team right now because there is only one expectation. This is the year we are going for a banner. Our team has been forced to take the scenic route every round in order to get to this place. Detroit has this look on their face like they know they are going to win, while the Celtics just hope they will win.. I don't know which attitude is a better one to have.

Re: Why are we so Glum?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 02:52:35 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The Celtics haven't performed like they should (specifically on the road)

We are all waiting for them to go one way or the other. 

Either they wake up on the road and play to their potential

or

Someone eventually knocks them off in Boston. 

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 02:54:58 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Probably because David Stern screwed us out of Derrick Rose! Grr angry face...  >:(

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 02:58:54 PM »

Offline DannyZ

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
It definitely doesn't help that Bill Simmons keeps telling us how much our team sucks all the while we keep advancing.  Way to enjoy the ride Bill.  He writes a scathing column blasting Doc and taking shots at Pierce.  Granted Doc was making some dubious moves while searching for a combination that worked.  But overall the tone of that column was petty.  Doc proceeded to coach a great game 7 while Pierce went off for 41.  Then yesterday, Simmons moves his sights to KG with a bizarre column where he complains about KG playing hard all the time and being unselfish.  KG responds that night to light up the Pistons for 26 and 9 with 4 dimes and 2 blocks.

Keep complaining Simmons.

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 03:08:40 PM »

Offline newdusk

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
How should we feel?

I'm just excited that we are playing a meaningful game every other day. I am excited we are 3 wins away from the NBA finals. All these games though are doing a number on my liver with the amount of beer I need to drink to avoid the anxiety. I think Simmons is really emotionally invested in the Celtics almost to the extreme where if he saw a loose thread on someones Jersey he would take it as a bad omen. I just want the team to win and I don't care how they do it.

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 03:09:37 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592
I understand a little the state of everyones mood. But what keeps me going is the talent they have. You don't have this collection and "fake" your way to 66 wins. It doesn't happen. Look at it this way, we have been playing our worst all season and were still winning. That has to count for something. I hold to the belief that this offense is going to keep getting better with each game. And once the offense gets its groove back, I don't care who the west throws at us. We have the ability to take anyone down, we just have to get back in sync, and that started on sunday.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 03:22:53 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Call me Mr. Happy - go ahead, really, I like it - but I've NEVER seen as much of a general positive reaction to a game as I did on this site last night.

Mr. Happy
Yup

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 03:24:30 PM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I'll admit I'm not a happy person when the Celtics lose a game. So I come to celtics blog to vent, I find it very therapeutic.  

The Celtics have given us a lot to be happy about.  For one thing I'm happy that it's May 21st and I can come on celtics blog to talk about a ECF game 1 vs the Piston.  Rather then talk about the draft lottery.  

I'm happy the Celtics sign PJ Brown, he given the team solid minutes so far in the play-offs.

I'm happy to see Rajon Rondo and Kendrick Perkins being keys to a big Celtics win.  

But I'm not happy that the Celtics have not won a road game yet in the play-offs.  

I'm scared they may lose a home play-off game before they when a road play-off game.  

However, being on this emotional rollercoaster is fun and I'm enjoying the ride.  

So today I'm a happy person, the sun is out and I notice the birds are singing.  In the words of Ice Cube "Talk was a good day"
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 03:32:37 PM by CT34 »

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 03:28:57 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Who's glum? Im a happy guy today man.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 03:32:56 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
It kind of stinks that if the C's were not in the midst of a 6 game road-losing streak, and we went up 2-0 and lost 2 in Detroit, people wouldn't feel like the sky is falling.  But, if that's what happens again this series, it will be the same old stuff ... complaining, the national media all over the team, etc.. 

I don't know about you guys, but last night, I saw the same team that played Detroit in the 3 games this season, not the one with a stagnant offense that showed up vs. ATL and CLE.  Perhaps they are out of their slump and ready to kick a$$!!!

Go Celtics!

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 03:46:17 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I said this in another thread, but the C's team that showed up last night was different than the one that played Atlanta and Cleveland. Their collective pressure meter was pegged on high for so long that I think it finally exploded after game 7 versus Cleveland. The pressure is gone now. They looked comfortable, poised, and determined last night. They're confident, but not cocky. I think this series will be over before most of the media has a chance to retract this whole "underdog" thing they're pushing right now.

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 03:47:23 PM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
One think the national media failed to realize was that the Cetlics was 2-1 vs. the Piston during the season.  They should have been 3-0 if it wasn't for Tony Allen's foul on Billups late in the 1st match-up.  

The Celtics match-up well vs the Piston.  The Piston is the one team in the East that the Celtics viewed at their equal.  So just like that Texas road trip and every game vs the Piston during the season.  The Celtics will play each game like they have something to prove.  If the Piston win a game it won't be lack of effort or energy on the Celtics part.

Also as it stand the Celtics have a 3 game winning streak vs the Piston.  Who to say they can't win 3 more games????

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 04:26:18 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I am happy at least until 11 pm et tomorrow.

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 04:40:39 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Because of the standard of the Celtics' play has been poor. That's why.

If they played the game like they're capable of everybody would be jumping up and down and delighted. But they didn't. Fix that and everyone's responses will rise along with it.

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 04:53:41 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
just because my competitive nature W
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!