Author Topic: At what point do the KG - Sheed comparisons stop?  (Read 9331 times)

At what point do the KG - Sheed comparisons stop?
« on: May 21, 2008, 12:25:48 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
All I've heard so far this series, and going back several years, is how KG and Rasheed Wallace are nearly identical players.  Mirrors of each other.  Equally intense.  Yadda yadda yadda.

Well how many years of 43% shooting, 12-15 ppg, 6-8 rpg, and lackadaisical effort on both sides of the floor is it going to take before Sheed stops getting this kind of credit?

There are several guys in KG's class at PF right now... Duncan?  Yep.  Dirk?  Sure.  Bosh, Jamison, West, or Boozer?  At least close.   But Sheed??  I really don't think so.

Merely having the skill set of another player is very, very, very far short of actually having the impact of that player.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: At what point do the KG - Sheed comparisons stop?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 12:47:00 PM »

Offline PlayRyanGomes

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 16
I agree.  KG actually thinks Sheed is underrated.  I think it's to the contrary, he's overrated.  I'm still in shock Bob Ryan compared him to McHale operating in the post yesterday.  What the...?  Bob I love you but maybe you should sit this one out.  *pats Bob Ryan on the shoulder*  Sheed doesn't even seem to like posting up.  He's got a little Toine in him, settling for 3s all the time when he's a 34% career 3 point shooter.  Once in a while he plays intensely but he's also often lackadaisical which you don't see out of KG.
I'm just a celticsblogger.  We gonna blog on a sock, we gonna blog on a sock.

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 12:49:37 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I agree, BT.  However, when KG himself is spouting off the "mirror" nonsense, I think it's natural that the media is going to follow suit.

But yes, Rasheed is about as much a "mirror" for KG as, say, Jason Richardson is for Kobe.  They do a lot of the same things, but KG does everything better.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 12:49:41 PM »

Offline Weird Facts

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 71
  • OOGIE BOOGEY DELONTE
I understand your frustration.  Its not about statistics though. Its about the style they play and their body frames, both right around the 7 foot mark.

They shoot deep shots, face up defenders, take it in the post, the turn around jumpers of course, and the ability to open up the floor for the rest of their teammates every time they touch the ball.

Of course I'd rather have Garnett any day of the week, but hey they play a similar game.

The comparisons are probably not going to stop any time soon seeing that when asked about Sheed in the post game, Garnett responded,

"Its like lookin in the mirror man."

Fair or bad weather
I'll always be a fan of the green

http://www.cafepress.com/besttees3

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 12:50:05 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
I agree.  KG actually thinks Sheed is underrated.  I think it's to the contrary, he's overrated.  I'm still in shock Bob Ryan compared him to McHale operating in the post yesterday.  What the...?  Bob I love you but maybe you should sit this one out.  *pats Bob Ryan on the shoulder*  Sheed doesn't even seem to like posting up.  He's got a little Toine in him, settling for 3s all the time when he's a 34% career 3 point shooter.  Once in a while he plays intensely but he's also often lackadaisical which you don't see out of KG.

You get a Tommy Point for using the word "lackadaisical" haven't heard that since senior year english class.

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 01:02:28 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.

You get a Tommy Point for using the word "lackadaisical" haven't heard that since senior year english class.

No respect... I used the word in my opening post.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 01:05:55 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
I agree, BT.  However, when KG himself is spouting off the "mirror" nonsense, I think it's natural that the media is going to follow suit.

But yes, Rasheed is about as much a "mirror" for KG as, say, Jason Richardson is for Kobe.  They do a lot of the same things, but KG does everything better.

I agree that KG's own opinion has something to do with it, but I think that comes from his respect for KG.  These guys were drafted the same year, battled in the Midwest division for years, a couple times in the playoffs, and do have 'similar' styles, so KG's respect for Sheed is firmly grounded.

But professional journalists need to try a little harder than that.  It's their job to make their opinions on what they see.  It's there job to open a report with a line such as: "After the Celtics game one win, Kevin Garnett said playing against Rasheed Wallace is like "looking in a mirror."  Apparently KG has been spending a lot of time in the fun house at the local carnival."  It is their job to point out the truth, not just copy the words spoken by those they cover.

And thanks for the JRich - Kobe comparison Roy, I was trying to think of a good analogy like that, but couldn't.

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 01:14:32 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

Bullocks.  Sheed is a much better deep shooter and a much better finisher around the basket.  Plus he's ambidextrous.

Their games aren't really mirror images to me.  I'm a big Sheed fan, but at this point in their careers, KG is clearly better.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 01:24:15 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Sheed is a much better deep shooter and a much better finisher around the basket.

For all the deep shots Wallace takes, KG still has a better eFG% (which measures shooting efficiency in terms of both two- and three-point field goals) than him, both overall and in terms of jumpers.  Wallace hits more threes, but KG is by any measure the more efficient scorer.  Wallace's eFG% on jump shots is .468, KG's is .472.  It's a marginal difference, but when you take into account the three pointers, KG is still more efficient.

As far as Wallace being a better finisher, I disagree.

This year, 27% of KG's shots were "inside", as defined by 82games.com.  KG shots an amazing 72.5% on those shots.

This year, 15% of Wallace's shots were "inside".  He shot an extremely good 66.4%.

KG takes more close shots, and he shoots them at a higher percentage than Rasheed.  That makes him a better inside scorer.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 01:58:42 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
KG is a Lamborghini, Wallace is a Corvette, they're both sports cars, but if you could only have one it's a pretty obvious choice.

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 02:27:21 PM »

Offline kevbo

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
Seriously, KG and Sheed aren't at all mirror images of each other. One of them has a NBA Championship ring and the other one doesn't.

Look before people think I'm just trolling here, I'm a lifetime Celtics fan and was enthused to see KG playing so aggressively last night. But I am trying to counter this thread's absurd disrepect of Sheed's game and lionizing of KG. For instance:

Look, KG, especially presently, may be better than Sheed. KG is also a tiny bit younger though. And given their stats, their style of play, their fiery temperments and renown for defense, it's hard to make a case that they are too dissimilar. They are often both criticized for the same tendency to drift away from the post, and not dominate inside. Both get criticized as such for then being soft. But KG does everything so much better? I have to counter by saying the proof is on the ring finger. While KG's TWolves amassed the best record in the Western Conference in 2003-4, they lost to the Lakers in 6 in the WCF. On the other hand, the Detroit Pistons were not even the best team in their conference and were considered (especially at that time) less than able to beat the Lakers. And you all know what happened, Sheed and the Pistons beat the same Lakers team that dispatched KG's Wolves with relative ease, winning in 5.

My point being, you may dislike Sheed, you may even be correct that KG is presently better, but don't disrespect Sheed's game and claim KG is head and shoulders better. They are certainly not too far off statistically, defensively, and crticism-wise, and right now, Sheed has a big gold trophy on his resume that KG does not, against a team, no less, that KG could not beat.

Ease up on that Kool-Aid y'all, it's just been one, thankfully good, game.

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 02:42:59 PM »

Offline dirtyeggs

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
I had this very same argument with my friends just two months ago.  I said that Sheed could have been the same player Garnett is if he just wanted it a bit more.  He could have been a great defender if he wanted to be.  He could have been a great post player with the outside shot to boot but I have to agree he has some 'Toine in him.  Settles just too much for the deep jumper.

Sheed plays when he wants to and only shows his intensity when he thinks it matters whereas Garnett does it game in game out.

I think talent wise they were/are comparable but as far as who is better Garnett is the clear choice - at least for me.

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 02:44:28 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'm gonna go the "evil twin" route rather than the "mirror" route - Wallace is intense like KG, but his intensity often dulls his focus rather than sharpening it; he takes things out on the refs or his teammates, he sulks instead of getting more involved in the game. 

Their games are somewhat similar, though Wallace can make 3s and KG is more efficient at long jump shots, but their personalities and approaches to the game have always struck me as flip sides of a similar coin.

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 03:14:05 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I had this very same argument with my friends just two months ago.  I said that Sheed could have been the same player Garnett is if he just wanted it a bit more.  He could have been a great defender if he wanted to be.  He could have been a great post player with the outside shot to boot but I have to agree he has some 'Toine in him.  Settles just too much for the deep jumper.

Sheed plays when he wants to and only shows his intensity when he thinks it matters whereas Garnett does it game in game out.

I think talent wise they were/are comparable but as far as who is better Garnett is the clear choice - at least for me.

I agree for Sheed vs Garnett its not a question of talent, at least it didnt used to be (maybe now garnett is better). Its about desire and there is no question that Garnett wants to be the better player.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 03:40:08 PM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
If Rasheed Wallace played with this head on straight ALL THE TIME. He would have been on the be the best to play the game.  I think he would be better then KG.  From a talent standpoint and a skill standpoint they are very close.  The difference is the desire.  KG desire and will to win is far greater then Wallace.  If Wallace had that same fire the KG has, there would be no question I would take Wallace over KG. 

Also the one season when Wallace played with desire and great well is the season the Piston won the championship win over the Lakers.  I know Billup won the MVP but Wallace was the main reason why they got to the finals.  Same thing KG is doing this season for the Cs. 

Wallace is one heck of a talent.