Author Topic: Game 2 is HUGE  (Read 4691 times)

Game 2 is HUGE
« on: May 21, 2008, 11:41:18 AM »

Offline vwoodruff

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 45
Let's say (and hope) the Cs win Game 2. While some may argue that the pressure will be huge on the Cs in Game 3 b/c they have yet to score a road playoff win, I think we have reached the opposite scenario - since no one expects the Cs to win away from home, the pressure is off.

If the Cs can go to Detroit up 2-0, Doc has the freedom to do whatever he wants to do to benefit the Cs in the big-picture-championship-run mindset. My primary would be to build game 3 around getting Ray Allen out of this slump. Do whatever it takes to make him happy in the offense and pay the consequences - good or bad.

THe only thing I would see as a failure in Game 3 would be for the Cs to take the same game plan on the road and lose.

Of course, if we lose Game 2, this is moot.

Re: Game 2 is HUGE
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 12:12:21 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think this is the one home game the Celtics are most likely to lose in this series. Detroit will have their eyes on this game, it'd give them a big leg up in the series if they could steal an early one on the road. Give them the homecourt advantage and let the pressure surround Boston. They're going to make a big run at this game.

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 12:18:58 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
You can make the case as to why every game in a series is huge:

Game 1: Series opener, it sets the tone.
Game 2: Defend the home court, or try to steal an away game.
Game 3: First game in the other court. You'll see if one team can compete away and if the other can protect home.
Game 4: Could be an elimination game, can be a series evener or can make one team take a huge 3-1 lead.

Etc, etc...

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 12:19:39 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
every game from now on is huge, this is the playoffs, you have to show up every night.

games 2-7* will be huge this series.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 12:25:38 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
I don't see them losing game 2. I see more of the same energy from game one comming out. Remember, we beat them, they didn't beat themselves. It was our D and decent offense that put them on their backs. We forced them out of their rhythem. They didn't have an answer for anything that we were doing all night. If we keep the defensive intensity up, then there will be no reason to worry about them stealing this next game.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 12:25:47 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
You could certainly argue that Detroit looked a little rusty last night. However, I thought what we saw from Boston was much more telling. For the first time in the playoffs, the Celtics looked calm, determined and confident. For the first time, they looked like a championship team. It had nothing to do with how the Pistons played, but it had everything to do with how the C's carried themselves last night. The interviews with Pierce and Garnett after the game conveyed the same thing.

I think Doc is right - the C's may be a little more worn out, but they really gained something from the last two series. They've been through too much to lose their focus now. Detroit won't sneak up on them and steal game 2 - you can book it.

I won't go so far as to predict it, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Celtics wrapped this up in 5 (win-win-win-loss-win).

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 12:26:48 PM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
Celtics will be 3-0 in this series. That's the streak that's falling first.

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 12:32:09 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Of the first two home games, I was honestly more concerned about Game One.  Coming off of that draining series against Cleveland and the emotional rollercoaster that was Game 7, I thought the C's would show letdown last night and appear a bit tired.  That obviously didn't happen and they picked up the big W.  I think Game 2 is going to be  a grinder and I think that Detroit's offense is bound to get back on track, right?  However, the C's seem to play freer last night and gained a lot of confidence.  I think they can hold serve and head to Detroit up 2-0 although its no slam dunk.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 12:34:31 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
One thing to consider on our Away losing streak.  This Celtics team haven't had the pressure of HAVING to win on the road yet.  That they would've wanted to? Sure, but you don't know how they'll respond when their backs are against the wall in a NEED to win on the road... and that's something to consider. So far, in NEED to win games, they have won them all so far.

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 12:42:48 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I think this is the one home game the Celtics are most likely to lose in this series. Detroit will have their eyes on this game, it'd give them a big leg up in the series if they could steal an early one on the road. Give them the homecourt advantage and let the pressure surround Boston. They're going to make a big run at this game.

not sure about the losing part, but i agree that DET is going to turn up the heat big time. that has been there MO over the years and they would love to steal one in BOS.

i think they feel a little embarrassed about last night and they are going to play some very very physical defense on us. i expect no more nicey-nice going forward and maybe a couple of hard fouls.

this is a game when i think we can start to answer the question about what impact playing 14 tough games in the first two rounds has had on this team.

did those series make us tougher as a team or did it wear us down.......

with a team playing really in its first playoffs together, i am hoping that the experience they gathered in those first two rounds will start to shine through.....

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 12:47:42 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
These are professional basketball players, the words worn down shouldn't be linked to them in any way, especially with the amount of veterans on this team.

Doc even said the other day before the game. The lack of rest shouldn't hurt them, they are in impeccable physical condition, they are professional athletes.

I am almost 100% sure that the Celtics have grown more tough by battling through two hard fought series. Hopefully i am not wrong.

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 12:52:20 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
The term worn down started because of the weak mentallity of the Piston's in one playoffs where they underperformed.  It's ridiculous.  It was a huge excuse and cop-out for a team that has been known for being weak minded.

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 12:55:52 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
The term worn down started because of the weak mentallity of the Piston's in one playoffs where they underperformed.  It's ridiculous.  It was a huge excuse and cop-out for a team that has been known for being weak minded.

I'm talking about the Celtics not the Pistons.

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 12:58:54 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
These are professional basketball players, the words worn down shouldn't be linked to them in any way, especially with the amount of veterans on this team.

Doc even said the other day before the game. The lack of rest shouldn't hurt them, they are in impeccable physical condition, they are professional athletes.

I am almost 100% sure that the Celtics have grown more tough by battling through two hard fought series. Hopefully i am not wrong.

hey i agree, but i don't think we can totally discount the idea.

there was a recent interview with KG somewhere where he was talking about how physically consuming the NBA playoffs are. and we all know about Pierce's battle with LeBron.

interestingly one thing that could help us is Ray with his struggles actually seems pretty fresh out there. if he can get his game going that could take a little pressure off KG and Paul.

personally, i think those tough series helped us on the toughness scale and i certainly hope that plays out because DET is going to be coming for us in game  2..

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 01:02:47 PM »

Offline chicanobear

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
All games R hugeeeee!