Poll

Who would you take if you were Paxson and the Bulls?

Michael Beasley
24 (51.1%)
Derrick Rose
23 (48.9%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: With the 1st Pick, The Chicago Bulls Select...  (Read 18397 times)

Re: With the 1st Pick, The Chicago Bulls Select...
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2008, 12:42:49 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
With all due respect, I consider Rose to be at the level of Chris Paul, and above Deron Williams, for his age.  I've been following him for a few years (thanks to NBA Draft's future Mock Drafts - Rose was near the top of the 2007 Mock Draft back in 2005 or so, before the rule change for high schoolers entering). 
I don't know how good Rose will be relative to Chris Paul (no one does) but I also don't doubt that he is going to be very good.  I just see Beasley being very good too.  I see the the touch of Larry Bird, the maturity of LeBron, and the intangibles of Magic Johnson.  I believe a very good big man is still more valuable than a really good PG.

It comes down to (for Chi) do you want Hinrich and Beasley or Rose and whatever big you can trade Hinrich for.  It is not like they are going to get Pau Gasol or Al Jefferson for Hinrich.  Maybe Zach Randolf?  So would you want Rose and Randolf over Hinrich and Beasley?  It is certainly debatable but I wouldn't.

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2008, 01:01:06 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
Get rid of Hinrich. Draft Rose, Sign Okafor

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2008, 01:09:07 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Everyone is very excited about Rose's potential, but it's difficult to ignore the difference in performance over the last year. Rose has shown flashes of being a dominant player. Beasley was dominant virtually every time he stepped on the court. Part of that might be explained by the level of talent at Memphis, but the two players were certainly not equals as freshman.

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2008, 02:16:22 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'd trade the pick and get a veteran big man like Brian Scalabrine.

Tell me that's a joke...

I'd say Beasley for the Bulls even though I love Derrick Rose' game.  They need up front size, and Beasley could become another Dwight Howard or Amare Stoudamire.

I've had my eye on Rose since his last year in highschool.  And of course he has to go #1-2 overall so the C's have no chance at him.  :P
I don't think the Heat will be all that disappointed to pick up Rose.  DWade hasn't been the same guy for years now.  They could use the talent infusion and excitement that a Derrick Rose can bring.

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2008, 02:38:49 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
What the heck, I'll agree with Brick: take Beasley.  The Bulls have needed a post presence and a go-to scorer for years, and Beasley has all the attributes to be a very good player for them. 

I don't see Rose as the "true point guard" that he's being made out to be.  I think he's going to be a very good score-first point guard, who gets a fair number of assists.  I see him as becoming a Baron Davis type player, without the jump shot at this stage.  That's a very good point guard, but it's not at the Chris Paul / Deron Williams level some are expecting.
I disagree that he won't be at the CP3/Deron Williams level.  I definitely don't think he will average 10+ assists like those guys do  but I think in terms of managing the game and keeping composed and making the smart play there might not be anyone better.  Of course he will take a couple years to gain the experience that he needs.  But I really think that those 3 PG's are going to be the elite PG's for the next 10-15 years. 

Even assuming you're correct, Hinrich is owed something in the neighborhood of $10M/year for the next FIVE years. He will be a hard sell to another team, and you won't get back equal value.

Taking Rose and trading him as a way to get rid of Larry Hughes' horrid contract might be worthwhile...  To Charlotte for Okafor and the Bobcats' pick in a sign and trade?

Surely Rose is an upgrade over Raymond Felton.

If I were Chicago and I were just taking one or the other, however, it's Beasley all the way.  He's everything that team needs.

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2008, 02:46:23 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
What the heck, I'll agree with Brick: take Beasley.  The Bulls have needed a post presence and a go-to scorer for years, and Beasley has all the attributes to be a very good player for them. 

I don't see Rose as the "true point guard" that he's being made out to be.  I think he's going to be a very good score-first point guard, who gets a fair number of assists.  I see him as becoming a Baron Davis type player, without the jump shot at this stage.  That's a very good point guard, but it's not at the Chris Paul / Deron Williams level some are expecting.
I disagree that he won't be at the CP3/Deron Williams level.  I definitely don't think he will average 10+ assists like those guys do  but I think in terms of managing the game and keeping composed and making the smart play there might not be anyone better.  Of course he will take a couple years to gain the experience that he needs.  But I really think that those 3 PG's are going to be the elite PG's for the next 10-15 years. 

Even assuming you're correct, Hinrich is owed something in the neighborhood of $10M/year for the next FIVE years. He will be a hard sell to another team, and you won't get back equal value.

Taking Rose and trading him as a way to get rid of Larry Hughes' horrid contract might be worthwhile...  To Charlotte for Okafor and the Bobcats' pick in a sign and trade?

Surely Rose is an upgrade over Raymond Felton.

If I were Chicago and I were just taking one or the other, however, it's Beasley all the way.  He's everything that team needs.

Trading Rose as a means to get rid of Larry Hughes would be the dumbest trade I've ever seen.  Did I miss where Chicago fired Paxson and hired Chris Wallace?

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2008, 04:15:03 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I see Rose being the next Steve Francis and Beasley being the next Derrick Coleman. Having said that, I'd take Beasley because the Bulls need a low post player. They have not had a good one since Bill Cartwright.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2008, 05:11:31 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I think they should pick Beasley but they'll probably pick Rose.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2008, 05:20:39 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I see Rose being the next Steve Francis and Beasley being the next Derrick Coleman. Having said that, I'd take Beasley because the Bulls need a low post player. They have not had a good one since Bill Cartwright.

I don't know how you could possibly say that about Rose.  Every single report about his character, personality, and mental make up is absolutely glowing.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2008, 05:29:38 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Wow, neck and neck through 42 votes!

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2008, 02:27:11 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Everyone is very excited about Rose's potential, but it's difficult to ignore the difference in performance over the last year. Rose has shown flashes of being a dominant player. Beasley was dominant virtually every time he stepped on the court. Part of that might be explained by the level of talent at Memphis, but the two players were certainly not equals as freshman.

Exactly my feelings. Beasley numbers are really breathtaking, and why pass the big man with uber-star potential for a point-guard, which is a position so hard to predict if a prospect will pan out? Beasley is that kind of player capable of producing since day 1, at least in offense.

Still, I believe Paxson will end up taking Rose: local kid, great character, good defense and he can get some nice big man for a Hinrich/Hughes/Tyrus package.