Poll

Who would you take if you were Paxson and the Bulls?

Michael Beasley
24 (51.1%)
Derrick Rose
23 (48.9%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: With the 1st Pick, The Chicago Bulls Select...  (Read 18398 times)

Re: With the 1st Pick, The Chicago Bulls Select...
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 09:40:55 AM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I would like to see the Bulls take Beasley for two reason.  I don't like the idea of Derrick Rose playing in his home town.  Not at this young age.  I think it will be too much pressure on and off the court.  I know it seem to work out for LeBron but Akron, OH and Chicago is to very different places.  All you have to do is look at the trouble that seem to happen when NBA Chicago born players get into when they go back home.  So I would hope the Bulls do Rose a favor and not draft him.  Also I just thik Beasley is a better fit for the Bulls.

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 09:53:39 AM »

Offline RickyD Fan

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Carmelo Anthony!!!!

;D

I think the Bulls package that pick with another player and try to get a superstar. Actually, wait... I don't think they WILL, I think they SHOULD. The last thing that team needs is to get younger and less experienced.

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 09:56:17 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Take Rose.

Then offer Hinrich and Thomas to the Heat for the 2nd pick.  (Miami rumored not to want Beasley)

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 10:32:34 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Take Rose...there is not another player like him in the East, he'll be a sure mismatch every single night, and he'll increase the value of Ty Thomas, Deng and Hughes.

EDIT: But CT34 brings up a really good point regarding Rose. I don't think Beasley is a better fit but I do think that being the number 1 pick in your hometown is a heck of a lot of pressure. Lot of chances for that to go wrong.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 10:40:31 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I don't agree.  Chicago's problem isn't point guard, where Hinrich is perfectly acceptable and Duhon is a decent backup.  Their problem is a complete lack of interior offense.  Ty Thomas is an athlete with zero post moves, and Noah can't score period.  Nocioni is a 3 point shooter ans slasher, besides being only 6-7.

Their other problem is shooting guard.  Hughes can defend, but can't shoot.  Gordon can shoot but can defend or pass.  They need a wing player who can do both to complement Deng.

If you had a natural scorer like Beasley at pf, you could get away with Noah at center.

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 10:50:32 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
What the heck, I'll agree with Brick: take Beasley.  The Bulls have needed a post presence and a go-to scorer for years, and Beasley has all the attributes to be a very good player for them. 

I don't see Rose as the "true point guard" that he's being made out to be.  I think he's going to be a very good score-first point guard, who gets a fair number of assists.  I see him as becoming a Baron Davis type player, without the jump shot at this stage.  That's a very good point guard, but it's not at the Chris Paul / Deron Williams level some are expecting.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2008, 11:07:21 AM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
What the heck, I'll agree with Brick: take Beasley.  The Bulls have needed a post presence and a go-to scorer for years, and Beasley has all the attributes to be a very good player for them. 

I don't see Rose as the "true point guard" that he's being made out to be.  I think he's going to be a very good score-first point guard, who gets a fair number of assists.  I see him as becoming a Baron Davis type player, without the jump shot at this stage.  That's a very good point guard, but it's not at the Chris Paul / Deron Williams level some are expecting.
I disagree that he won't be at the CP3/Deron Williams level.  I definitely don't think he will average 10+ assists like those guys do  but I think in terms of managing the game and keeping composed and making the smart play there might not be anyone better.  Of course he will take a couple years to gain the experience that he needs.  But I really think that those 3 PG's are going to be the elite PG's for the next 10-15 years. 
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2008, 11:14:29 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I disagree that he won't be at the CP3/Deron Williams level.  I definitely don't think he will average 10+ assists like those guys do  but I think in terms of managing the game and keeping composed and making the smart play there might not be anyone better.  Of course he will take a couple years to gain the experience that he needs.  But I really think that those 3 PG's are going to be the elite PG's for the next 10-15 years. 

I don't see it.  For the first half of the year, Rose had a negative assist-to-turnover ratio.  He brought that up to a little less than 2:1, so he definitely improved as the year went on.  However, I'm not sold that half a season of great college ball puts you into the same class as a "pure point guard" as CP3 and Deron.

He's going to be an elite player, I have no doubt.  I just see him primarily as a scorer, who gets assists within the rhythm of the offense.  I've seen nothing to suggest that he has the instincts or court vision of a Nash, Kidd, Paul, or Williams.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 11:15:58 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Rose is not even close to a pure point guard, he is a scorer first and foremost.  He has the ability to set up his teammates, as did Jordan, but like Mike, he is at his most dynamic when he is slashing and scoring, passing only when needed.  And even if he was a pure point, Beasley is easily the most obvious #1 pick in years.  You never worry about the composition of your current roster when drafting #1 overall. 

I agree Rose isn't a floor general whatsoever .... some of things he did during the NCAA run were just mindboggling. He didn't understand how to get his scorers the ball or what plays to run or how to attack the defense. He doesn't respond well to changing defenses. None of that. Missing a lot else too.

But the lad has great instincts. With some good coaching he'll figure it out. His rookie season likely won't be much to look at (similar to Deron's is my expectation right now, worse than Conley though better numbers from more opportunity). I like his long term potential. He'll be an all-star point guard and possibly a franchise cornerstone when it's all said and done.

If Rose spent a year extra in college he'd have a good chance of having a similar impact to Chris Paul when he came out. He just doesn't have the understanding of the game yet. Great talent, great instincts, great desire ... he'll figure the rest out over the next few years.

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 11:34:44 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I would like to see the Bulls take Beasley for two reason.  I don't like the idea of Derrick Rose playing in his home town.  Not at this young age.  I think it will be too much pressure on and off the court.  I know it seem to work out for LeBron but Akron, OH and Chicago is to very different places.  All you have to do is look at the trouble that seem to happen when NBA Chicago born players get into when they go back home.  So I would hope the Bulls do Rose a favor and not draft him.  Also I just thik Beasley is a better fit for the Bulls.

I don't like young players in their hometowns either, not with pressure and the need for development.

That pressure killed Eddy Curry his first two-three years. It was great for him to get out of Chicago. At least Rose has a year away in Memphis and by all accounts is a level headed hard working guy, that'll help.

It wouldn't be enough for me to pass on Rose but I'm not giddy about hometown players especially at such a young age.

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 11:47:26 AM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I also think Beasley is just a better fit for the Bulls. They Bulls need in inside presents.  Beasley give them that and more.  Beasley will become to Noah what Al Horford was to Noah.  Bealsley will allow Noah to become this era's Dennis Rodman.  Not only that, but Beasley helps Deng game and he will open the outside shooting of Gordan and Hinrich. 

I also think Derrick Rose is a prefect fit for the Heat.  With Rose the Heat can become the Sun South.  Shawn Marion is a better player when he is with a great pg.  D-Wade is better suited playing the 2 guard spot. The Heat will be a fast up-tempo team that will be a handful to deal with with Rose, Wade and Marion all in the open court.

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 12:35:22 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I also think Beasley is just a better fit for the Bulls. They Bulls need in inside presents.  Beasley give them that and more.  Beasley will become to Noah what Al Horford was to Noah.  Bealsley will allow Noah to become this era's Dennis Rodman.  Not only that, but Beasley helps Deng game and he will open the outside shooting of Gordan and Hinrich. 

I look at Beasley at being the type of player that needs a great point guard next to him. He'll be a force and a borderline all-star without it. But he could be an All-Pro with that point guard. I liken to him a better version of David West, similarities with Amare or Bosh. Someone who could destroy the opposition defense if he's fed the ball in the right spots. I hate the idea of him living without that. I don't think he has the post game. He'll become reliant on these one-on-one clear outs where he'll act like a guard, monopolize the ball and be inefficient. I can't picture him being much help to his teammates beyond the defense being worried of his threat. How's he going to create opportunities for them? It won't be from his defense either. Tyrus is probably a better defender, Gooden too. Rebounding? Drew is a very good rebounder, so is Tyrus and Noah. I just don't picture him being their saviour, not without a good point guard. Kirk Hinrich isn't up to the job. I can't see him having a big effect on his teammates if selected by Chicago.

Rose on the other hand can. The Bulls have a perfect team for running, all they need is the point guard who can lead the break. Rose will mean 6-10 easy points extra each night just by running the floor. Rose is the type of player who can set up Tyrus Thomas for easy finishes at the rim off of screen and rolls or penetration, set up Drew Gooden for his midrange Js. Rose can break the opposing defense down by himself. He can get their shooters (Gordon, Nocioni) open shots. He can spot Deng curling off of picks. There's a lot of ways where he'll be a huge help to everybody on that team.

I just don't think Beasley is there. If the Bulls had a quality point guard I'd love him for that team but they don't. Hinrich doesn't have the ingenuity required.

Beasley and Rose would be some combination if a team could pull it off. Anyone think they have enough trade assets to tempt Miami? Actually Deng is unsigned, no they don't. Deng/Tyrus/Noah could have been a tempting offer, especially if they took back a bad contract.

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2008, 11:52:27 AM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
Bulls should take rose but will probably take beasly cuz of size need

I personally think beasly will be another carmelo anthony headcase

Just think about what Rose did this past year. He was on a memphis team that no one predicted would get to the finals. Rose was a huge huge part of that.

Beasley on the other hand was on a team in simliar talent mold and they got ousted early

Bulls best bet would be to draft rose, and trade hinrich + luol deng or Ben gordon and get a really decent PF(through the draft or via trade)(for example josh smith). If smith does not want to stick with atlanta , atlanta would benefit well by getting a good pg like hinrich and luol deng at sf

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2008, 12:11:44 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Beasley (assuming he really is 6'-10" or at least close).  Point Guards are over priced/over rated right now because everyone wants to get the next Chris Paul.  Also, how many of these game changing PG are still playing this week?

I know Chi is the team that once traded Elton Brand for Curry (or was it Chandler) but I think they are smart enough to keep Hinrich and pick Beasley vs. picking Rose and trying to trade Hinrich for a second rate big (which is all they will get).  Hinrich is more than enough of a PG to lead a championship contending team.

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2008, 12:31:32 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Beasley (assuming he really is 6'-10" or at least close).  Point Guards are over priced/over rated right now because everyone wants to get the next Chris Paul.  Also, how many of these game changing PG are still playing this week?

I know Chi is the team that once traded Elton Brand for Curry (or was it Chandler) but I think they are smart enough to keep Hinrich and pick Beasley vs. picking Rose and trying to trade Hinrich for a second rate big (which is all they will get).  Hinrich is more than enough of a PG to lead a championship contending team.

With all due respect, I consider Rose to be at the level of Chris Paul, and above Deron Williams, for his age.  I've been following him for a few years (thanks to NBA Draft's future Mock Drafts - Rose was near the top of the 2007 Mock Draft back in 2005 or so, before the rule change for high schoolers entering). 

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.