Author Topic: Rip should be suspended  (Read 6861 times)

Rip should be suspended
« on: May 21, 2008, 12:33:55 AM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
He threw a punch.  The only reason he wasn't ejected tonight is because of KG's nonchalant reaction.  Can the league review this?

Re: Rip should be suspended
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 12:35:36 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Definitely should be reviewed. 

I don't know about suspensions though.  I need to see it again.

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 12:36:48 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
A punch?  I thought he got his elbow up.  I'll have to re-watch it, too, I guess.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 12:37:54 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I think they can, I remember them reviewing a play where Kobe hit Ginobili in the face, to try and determine intent. I doubt Rip will be suspended though, it's the playoffs, he didn't connect, and after all the flack the league deservedly got after the Spurs/Suns fiasco last year, I think they are a little less willing to step in and ruin a series.

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 12:39:16 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Saw one replay on the Jumbotron, didn't see anything too over the top.  Home now and watching ESPN.  Non-issue so far on the postgame analysis.  I don't much coming of this.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 12:59:00 AM »

Offline mikeford

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 18
It was absolutely a deliberate attempt to elbow Garnett in the face.

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 01:06:37 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
He threw a punch.  The only reason he wasn't ejected tonight is because of KG's nonchalant reaction.  Can the league review this?

A punch?  I thought he got his elbow up.  I'll have to re-watch it, too, I guess.

I'm with RH's description.  He started to run into the screen, so he raised his elbow and made sure he got a piece of KG as well.  The lack of ejection had a lot more to do with the fact that no matter how bad it looked to us on the replays (and, though I happen to be a big booster of his, I thought Hamilton got his elbow up deliberately), it's very difficult to determine that sort of intent on a play where a guy is trying to get through a screen -- which naturally lends to a lot of inadvertent and unintended contact.

I would have liked to see a flagrant called there but wasn't expecting as much.  Can't see any way the league suspends Rip for a playoff game over this.

I'm with the sentiment though, steve -- the play wasn't clean.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 01:07:48 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I need to see a replay of this again....ESPN isn't showing it.  :P

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 01:54:32 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I agree with SW ... it should definitely have been a flagrant, but I think it was far short of "ejection-worthy". It was intentional, but was more of an elbow upward than a punch ... at least that's how it looked from the camera angle we had.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 02:04:06 AM »

Offline Bleedgreen

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
It was 100% intentional. Rip is a dirty player like that. Will he get ANY punishment? No. Does he deserve some? Absolutely. He's dirty in teh Reggie Miller mold. Does stuff like this which gets opponents ejected/suspended, but always shrugs his shoulders as if to say "What did I do wrong?" It drives me nuts to watch. One of these days, he is going to get his clocked clean when he pulls something like that on a guy like a short-tempered Perk (god I hope not) who will regret a retaliation.
As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me - red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game.
-Larry Bird

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 02:30:36 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Should it have been a technical?  Absolutely.

Should he be suspended?  No way.  Throwing an elbow is what the ECF are all about.  Let 'em play.

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 02:47:13 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Elbow to the head is different.

I watched this play numerous times when it happened and it didn't seem like a "basketball move" and the replay clearly shows that it was an intentional attack.

Suspension? No. Fine? Yes.

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 03:14:43 AM »

Offline FierceLikePaulPierce

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
Is this YouTube-worthy? I didn't see it, don't have TiVo, etc., but if someone could post it/find a link it'd be appreciated.

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 03:16:03 AM »

Offline joebianca

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
It was 100% intentional. Rip is a dirty player like that. Will he get ANY punishment? No. Does he deserve some? Absolutely. He's dirty in teh Reggie Miller mold. Does stuff like this which gets opponents ejected/suspended, but always shrugs his shoulders as if to say "What did I do wrong?" It drives me nuts to watch. One of these days, he is going to get his clocked clean when he pulls something like that on a guy like a short-tempered Perk (god I hope not) who will regret a retaliation.

Rip's not a dirty player. Just ask Mike Breen. Anyone who does anything dirty who isn't Dennis Rodman is "not that kind of player", as if that means anything.

It was definitely intentional. He wasn't trying to fight through the screen. He hit the screen, stopped, then threw an elbow at KG's face. I don't think he should be suspended, but I think the referees should exercise some restraint if Mr. Hamilton is to get a hard foul in the next game. Though I think the Celts are too classy to retaliate.

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 03:40:07 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592
Bottom line is he threw an elbow at kg's face on purpose with the intent of causing damage. I could give a [dang] if its the ECF. He should be suspended. Would we be so forgiving if he connected and KG had to wear a mask the rest of the playoffs? The answer is no. This is the NBA not NFL Blitz. This sort of thing needs to get checked before it gets out of hand. If it was KG I would be saying the same thing.
Still don't believe in Joe.