Author Topic: Game 1 Traveling?  (Read 3608 times)

Game 1 Traveling?
« on: May 21, 2008, 12:25:55 AM »

Offline Mike

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18
I was at the game tonight and enjoyed the win, but by my count there were ZERO traveling calls tonight!  I know these are the best players in the world, but they still do travel.  Garnett's fast break layup was the most obvious walk, but there were several instances where Pistons players were clearly moving their pivot feet.  Another one I thought should have been called was on one of Rasheed's post ups late in the game.  It's just frustrating as a fan to watch one of the most fundamental rules being ignored by the people who are supposed to be the experts at interpreting them.  There's always the argument, "Well, as long as they call it consistent both ways."  And I hate that argument.  A consistently poorly called game is not a well officiated game.  Anyone else notice the lack of travel calls tonight?

Re: Game 1 Traveling?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 12:31:27 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
It's hard to complain about traveling in the league now, it's like complaining about high gas prices, there's too much of it, it's annoying, obviously bad, and you just wish someone would open their eyes and fix it.

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 12:32:14 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
For the most part (a few questionable Crawford calls aside), I loved the way the game was called tonight.  Very smooth and flowing.  It's the NBA, traveling clearly goes on but if you call it all the time, it's going to get brutal to watch.  I'd much rather just have the refs let them play and let the game play out with few interuptions.  It's the playoffs, let the players dictate tempo and play, not the refs.  Personally, I like the uninterupted play.

However, I do agree that there were plenty of travels out there tonight.  I'm just glad they weren't called.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 12:34:01 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
For the most part (a few questionable Crawford calls aside), I loved the way the game was called tonight.  Very smooth and flowing.  It's the NBA, traveling clearly goes on but if you call it all the time, it's going to get brutal to watch.  I'd much rather just have the refs let them play and let the game play out with few interuptions.  It's the playoffs, let the players dictate tempo and play, not the refs.  Personally, I like the uninterupted play.

However, I do agree that there were plenty of travels out there tonight.  I'm just glad they weren't called.

Crawford called quite a few bad ones on both teams.  He was taking over the game.  It slowed the game down and gave the Pistons an advantage in the 2nd quarter. 

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 12:36:49 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Compared to the first two series, I thought the refereeing was much less swayed by the crowd or acting/flopping.  A fresh change in my eyes that was enjoyed.

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 12:40:16 AM »

Offline Mike

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18

I understand that you want to see the game played uninterrupted, and I'm not complaining about the officiating as a whole tonight, because I think it was better than previous games in the playoffs, but we're talking about one of the most basic rules of the game.  You're not allowed to travel, bottom line.  I do not think that they called a single one tonight, and there were several, and at least one or two that were egregious.  Don't you at least want the obvious ones called?

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 12:45:08 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I understand that you want to see the game played uninterrupted, and I'm not complaining about the officiating as a whole tonight, because I think it was better than previous games in the playoffs, but we're talking about one of the most basic rules of the game.  You're not allowed to travel, bottom line.  I do not think that they called a single one tonight, and there were several, and at least one or two that were egregious.  Don't you at least want the obvious ones called?

True, I'd want the obvious ones called.  I'm trying to think off the top of my head if I remembered anything truly egregious from tonight.  Sorry, just nothing really stands out right now (at 12:45 am).  Might try to watch the telecast tomorrow.  Maybe I'll pick up on something from that perspective.

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 02:30:16 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The only play I noticed was a drive that Pierce missed... looked like he took 4 steps. 

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 03:52:32 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
All this "let them play" attitude is not the way to look at it. A travel is a travel and a foul is a foul. If the league called it like they should, then the players would adapt and not do it. It really takes away from the integrity of the game when the refs let these things slide. Granted I don't want to see a slow and boring game, but if the rules were inforced, I believe that the players would adapt and actually be better. Why have rules if they are not going to be enforced? If the rules were followed, we would not have so many one sided officiated games. I love watching the game, but you have to admite that it has become sort of a joke because the rules are not enforced and the super stars get away with murder whenever they touch the ball. These are suposed to be the best of the best, I think they can play the way the game was intended.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 07:39:06 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I understand that you want to see the game played uninterrupted, and I'm not complaining about the officiating as a whole tonight, because I think it was better than previous games in the playoffs, but we're talking about one of the most basic rules of the game.  You're not allowed to travel, bottom line.  I do not think that they called a single one tonight, and there were several, and at least one or two that were egregious.  Don't you at least want the obvious ones called?

your also not allowed to trun the ball at a 90 degree angle, but crossovers are all the rage, so that rules out the window as well.

If carries were called, dwyane wade wouldn't have a career, his "devastating hesitation crossover" is palming lol.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion