Author Topic: Pierce takes a back seat in the Media, again...  (Read 2395 times)

Pierce takes a back seat in the Media, again...
« on: May 21, 2008, 12:19:29 AM »

Offline Raygus

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 19
Dont get me wrong, KG played really well tonight. Kudo's to Garnett. But I have a hard time believing that Paul isn't the story of this game. He created all night, he handled the ball for much of the second and third quarters, he created his own shot and gave Garnett easy looks. Garnett only hit 3 or 4 contested shots, the rest of his points came off of wide open mid range jumpers and easy dunks. Yes he rebounded well. But his stat line is due mostly to Pierce and Rondo getting him the ball when he was wide open. Van Gundy was giving Paul his due all game. It drove me crazy to see Jon Barry and Avery Johnson talking about how Garnett was the reason they won this game. He wasn't.

Re: Pierce takes a back seat in the Media, again...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 12:24:15 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I have no problem with the KG talk. 

Lead the team in scoring.  Shot over 50%.  9 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 blocks, a steal.

The defense between Perkins and him shut Wallace out (2 of the 3 shots came against PJ)

I have no problem KG being the story.

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 12:27:30 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Dont get me wrong, KG played really well tonight. Kudo's to Garnett. But I have a hard time believing that Paul isn't the story of this game. He created all night, he handled the ball for much of the second and third quarters, he created his own shot and gave Garnett easy looks. Garnett only hit 3 or 4 contested shots, the rest of his points came off of wide open mid range jumpers and easy dunks. Yes he rebounded well. But his stat line is due mostly to Pierce and Rondo getting him the ball when he was wide open. Van Gundy was giving Paul his due all game. It drove me crazy to see Jon Barry and Avery Johnson talking about how Garnett was the reason they won this game. He wasn't.

I seem to remember them both saying something along the lines of "Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce led them tonight", "KG and Pierce were on," etc, etc.  They were giving him his due.

And something else for you to think about... KG was on 'Sheed most of the first 3 quarters, and he scored 6 points during that time.  KG was on McDyess and Maxiell pretty much the entire 4th quarter... they combined for 0.

KG was the player of the game, but Pierce had himself a very efficient game as well.  The media coverage is right parallel with the game.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 12:28:56 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I agree that Paul was a huge factor in tonight's win, he and KG were both unbelievable tonight. I think Paul definitely was the man tonight, and was the reason why they won, but I really don't care who gets the bulk of the credit, as long as the good guys win.

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 12:31:03 AM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
Yeah well, we know better, they are just typical Main Stream Media spoon feeding the sheep based upon the obvious stat line of offence production. Although, definate kudos goes to K.G. and Perk anchoring the paint and boards, which IS Huge in terms of Kevins big time contrubution there!!!

But yeah, the intangables of Defence that Paulie played as well as ball handeling, driving and dishing was a beautiful thing to witness his breaking down the defence!
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 12:34:06 AM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
I think we all know that while the media says one thing KG, PP, etc all know its about a team effort.  The media always has its favorites it likes to talk about.  Some players are mentioned all the time and some aren't. I really don't have a problem with whomever getting the media attention so long as we win!  Great game by both KG and Pierce either way, and Perkins was great on the boards and defensive side of the ball tonight.