Author Topic: The Pistons Series will be More Fun than the Cleveland One  (Read 4674 times)

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Basically, because we don't have to deal with the officials giving calls away to LeBron, this series will be more fun to watch in general.

Pierce and Garnett might get a few calls they don't deserve, but I REALLY enjoyed what a low-foul game tonight was...  Only 48 FTAs in the whole game!  That's about two minutes of action WITHOUT A FOUL!!

Awesome.

Re: The Pistons Series will be More Fun than the Cleveland One
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 11:35:50 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It will be more fun because the Celtics now have the size advantage in all three front court positions.  It really allows the Celtics guys to shine. 

Officials were still very giving to Detroit considering the Celtics were the more aggressive team. 

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 11:45:45 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
It will only be more fun if we win it.

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 11:53:19 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
It will be more fun because the Celtics now have the size advantage in all three front court positions.  It really allows the Celtics guys to shine. 

Officials were still very giving to Detroit considering the Celtics were the more aggressive team. 

I agree, Wdleehi ... I'm a bit surprised at Joey Crawford, the last couple of games he's called have been pretty decent. I still think the majority of questionable calls went the Pistons way, but then it's hard for me to be objective about it, too. Anyway, the refs did a decent job, and that's really the most we can hope for.

Pierce attacking was the key tonight, and it freed KG up to do his post "thang" ... it's really fun to watch when this team is clicking ... they become the perfect working example of how a good team should play, with stifling defense and attacking on the other end, giving the ball to the stars and letting them create.

Rage was great tonight as well, and although Ray still didn't get his shot back, he contributed in just about every other way. Perk and PJ both had some huge defensive plays, and everybody added something. The Pistons had too many turnovers, but they actually played quite well, and that's encouraging, in that we can still dominate them, even when they're playing at or near their peak.

Nice win.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 11:54:01 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Cleveland did a lot of great things defensively against the Celtics, and believe it or not, it started with taking Ray Allen off the game.  Ray Allen wasn't shooting well, but Detroit allowed him to have an impact in a game. Allowed him to penetrate, to find open people off picks, etc.  Cleveland often put two men on him as soon as he touched the ball, he could do very little against them.

And consider this, even with Garnett playing as he did... he missed a TON of shots he normaly makes, so he could've easily had an even more mosntrous game than the one he did.

It also helps matters that Rondo moved the ball much better... even with Ray cold, you could see the impact on our team with Rondo's willingness to give the ball up and start the ball movement through Ray. It set the tone for the game, and it was important, regardless of how good or bad Ray was shooting the ball.  That's when we're at our best.

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 11:55:44 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I agree, Wdleehi ... I'm a bit surprised at Joey Crawford, the last couple of games he's called have been pretty decent. I still think the majority of questionable calls went the Pistons way, but then it's hard for me to be objective about it, too. Anyway, the refs did a decent job, and that's really the most we can hope for.

Pierce attacking was the key tonight, and it freed KG up to do his post "thang" ... it's really fun to watch when this team is clicking ... they become the perfect working example of how a good team should play, with stifling defense and attacking on the other end, giving the ball to the stars and letting them create.

Rage was great tonight as well, and although Ray still didn't get his shot back, he contributed in just about every other way. Perk and PJ both had some huge defensive plays, and everybody added something. The Pistons had too many turnovers, but they actually played quite well, and that's encouraging, in that we can still dominate them, even when they're playing at or near their peak.

Nice win.

He was awful both ways (Crawford).  He really tried to take over the game and it slowed the game to a crawl (which helps the Celtics)

Celtics should not have been out shot at the FT line by so much considering how aggressively attacking they were.

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 12:05:19 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Cleveland did a lot of great things defensively against the Celtics, and believe it or not, it started with taking Ray Allen off the game.  Ray Allen wasn't shooting well, but Detroit allowed him to have an impact in a game. Allowed him to penetrate, to find open people off picks, etc.  Cleveland often put two men on him as soon as he touched the ball, he could do very little against them.

And consider this, even with Garnett playing as he did... he missed a TON of shots he normaly makes, so he could've easily had an even more mosntrous game than the one he did.

It also helps matters that Rondo moved the ball much better... even with Ray cold, you could see the impact on our team with Rondo's willingness to give the ball up and start the ball movement through Ray. It set the tone for the game, and it was important, regardless of how good or bad Ray was shooting the ball.  That's when we're at our best.

Good point, BC (TP) ... KG really did miss quite a few shots that he usually drains, especially in the first half, (at least it seemed more obvious then). If he had been in a real "groove", this would most likely have been a blowout, (I think he missed six shots). Hard to believe we missed so many bunnies, and yet still shot over 52% ... I think that's a good sign.

On the other hand, the Pistons were just over 42%, so we've got to expect that they're gonna have better nights shooting. Still, all-in-all, we maintained the tempo pretty well, with only a couple of short let-downs, and controlled this game from the git, even with Detroit playing well. If we keep attacking, we'll do well against this team.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 12:07:07 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Detroit hasn't shot particularly well in the play-offs. KG hit 7 of his last 8 shots.

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 12:08:44 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Nice win.

He was awful both ways (Crawford).  He really tried to take over the game and it slowed the game to a crawl (which helps the Celtics)

Celtics should not have been out shot at the FT line by so much considering how aggressively attacking they were.

As I said, I do think the Pistons got the majority of bad calls in their favor, but I don't think Joey was nearly as bad as he usually is.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 12:18:52 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
If the C's play the Pistons intelligently, this could be a short one, Billups not being healthy is a huge advantage for the Celtics. The Piston's lack of a true superstar may be their fatal flaw in this series, which would be ironic since that was supposed lead to the Celtic's demise against the Cavs.

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 12:36:22 AM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
I'm telling you we match up really good with the Pistons.  I seriously think this series will be over in 5 games. 

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 12:56:50 AM »

Offline tanner

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
Pistons looked a step slow and weren't as aggressive.   May have to double KG as they don't have the bigs as Cleveland to bang him out of the low block.  It's premature to write these guys off this early but our chances have gotten better with a less than 100% Billups.

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 01:15:11 AM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108

Didn't KG only miss 6 shots? I think he was 11-17.

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 07:59:42 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Didn't KG only miss 6 shots? I think he was 11-17.

Almost all wide open ones, which he usually makes, from spots where he is almost automatic.

It's like if Ray Allen shot 8 for 10 from the free-throw line... even though that's great free-throw shooting, you know that he should be able to make 10 of 10 because that's his shot.  Same thing here, even though Garnett had a great game, he missed shots that he usually makes that would've made this great game of his be even more monstrous, that's all I'm saying. Detroit got lucky he missed them.