Author Topic: The Official "I Hate Bill Simmons" Thread  (Read 6137 times)

The Official "I Hate Bill Simmons" Thread
« on: May 20, 2008, 04:15:08 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
I know hate is a strong word and I HATE Simmons!

He's taken an awful stance on KG... supports him as the MVP (actually voted for him) but doesn't support him in the playoffs. Does that even make sense? Doesn't that send a mixed message of sorts?

Whoever said he tried to get a head start on the whining just in case the C's lost Round 2 Game 7 to the Lebron's was BANG ON. Only we didn't lose, we won. So Simmons then stears clear from Doc and fires missles at KG for not being "clutch"? What a joke.

KG was clutch because he deferred to the man with the hot hand in Pierce.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

Re: The Official "I Hate Bill Simmons" Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 04:19:31 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
tough to hate him for an article where he referanced alot of stuff i also have had a problem with these playoffs.

it was a bad article, but for the most part he was right on some things doc's coaching (though he was better in games 5 and 7), use of sam, flow of the offense, ect. and wrong on some things, like his insane theroy that pierce should play the four and magicaly that would mean sideshow bob/joe smith would have to gaurd him, kg not being clutch after he won us game 1 ect.

but its tough to "hate" a guy just because he wrote a non-homer article....
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 04:22:16 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Right now, I'm going to keep this open as a separate thread, but only if people want to use it for general critiques of Simmons, disagreements with past articles, etc.  If you want to discuss Simmons the writer / personality, do it here.

If you only want to discuss his most recent article, please do it in the "Et Tu, Sports Guy? / Bill Simmons questions KG" thread.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 04:23:52 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Bill Simmons was cool because he quotes stuff from the 90's and 80's I remembered, and he loved a basketball team I love. He's reinventing himself and trying to be more objective....stop trying to be a journalist Bill and be a fan again.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 04:25:01 PM »

Offline Hollywood

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
I like Simmons

The article wasn't really that bad either-he compares him to duncan, and duncan has had a better career. If KG doesn't like it-lead the celts past the spurs in the championship and outplay timmy.

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 04:36:59 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
tough to hate him for an article where he referanced alot of stuff i also have had a problem with these playoffs.

it was a bad article, but for the most part he was right on some things doc's coaching (though he was better in games 5 and 7), use of sam, flow of the offense, ect. and wrong on some things, like his insane theroy that pierce should play the four and magicaly that would mean sideshow bob/joe smith would have to gaurd him, kg not being clutch after he won us game 1 ect.

but its tough to "hate" a guy just because he wrote a non-homer article....

I don't even care about his articles at all. I don't even read them. I just hear about them from friends, get the link sent to me, START to read them, start to throw up a little bit in my mouth, and consequently have to stop reading it.

I simply cannot read his words.

Am I the only one who supports Doc as our coach? Because it sure feels that way. Everyone questions his rotations, his plays of out the timeouts, his failure to call timeouts, his failure to adjust.....well you're all eating your words now including Simmons.

Simmons' new bag seems to be knock guys when they're possibly about to be down in an effor to appear that you knew it was going to happen.

Case and point with the KG article after the Doc article.

If he's a real fan (which he claims he is - which I seriously don't believe) then wouldn't he praise Doc for going with Eddie in game 7 and for leaving the ice-cold Ray Ray on the bench? At least praise Doc for going with PJ Brown over Powe/Baby in game 7. The man (Simmons) just refuses to give credit when credit is clearly due.

Moderators: Do not merge this thread! This isn't about his recent article at all. It's about a gradual frustration which has blossomed into hatred.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 04:37:34 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Ugh yeah that makes about as much sense as Simmon's article.  No other factors come into a game merely Duncan VS Garnett.  I would still take Garnett over Duncan of course if you only judge great players by their championships then maybe Robert Horry is better than Garnett as well.

He's a hack.  He's the embodiment of Red Sox nation and embarrassing to me because I'm C's fan.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 05:33:35 PM »

Offline seeingreen34

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
I love Bill Simmons' articles because of his pop culture references and love for Boston sports. Yea, some things he writes really p--- me off and some I don't agree with. I'm still getting over his article comparing the 86 Celtics to the 07 Patriots on which was his favorite where he assumed the Patriots would win the Super Bowl and then they lost. Considering that I don't believe in jinxes, it says a lot about how I feel about that article. But at the end of the day he is a Boston sports fan and many of us on this blog have critiqued our players/coaches/owners etc. also.

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 05:38:14 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
This Simmons-hating stuff is lame. If you don't like a particular article he's written, fine. But spewing forth hate doesn't seem to be at all useful or productive. Just my two cents.

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 05:38:36 PM »

Offline kevingamble34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 15
I used to like his articles when he wrote from a fan's perspective.... but that was a couple of years ago.  Since then he's become more of the dime-a-dozen espn.com writer with inflated opinions and the annoying current trend of having to "rate" everything.  But the biggest complaint I'd have as a fan of his former persona is -- He's Just Not Funny Anymore. Then again, he's probably not a real 'fan' anymore...

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 05:48:59 PM »

Offline NicaraguanFan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
Simmons is a regular fan with the right to write some stuff in national media.  I think most of us wanted KG to be the clucth player he is not during this play-offs, espcially in games where PP  and RA took the day off. If we had the power Simmons has (to write in nat media) probably lot of us would have had the very same concerns.

NF.
#18 is coming...

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 05:55:41 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
I'm a simmons hater too, the guy take shots at bill russell, kg, accuses the team of throwing games for lotto position (even if it's true you don't say if your a fan), he stuck up for the pats when they were caught cheating, but seems to throw every celtic under the bus at every opportunity.

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 06:01:42 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I've got issues with Simmons picking the Lakers over the Celtics in the Finals.

It's fine to be objective.  However, Simmons has carefully crafted a persona where he is Boston Superfan #1.  If he's going to reap the benefits of that, then he's also got to accept the criticism that comes with him throwing his team under the bus.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 06:29:13 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Simmons article is garbage. KG stepped up in game 1 when Pierce and Ray were AWOL and made two clutch baskets. He also hit 2 big shots in the last five minutes of Game 7 and grabbed the crucial board off the Lebron miss in the last 30 seconds. He had big games in game 5 too.

I'm waiting for Simmons to step up with a good article these play-offs, especially since it seems he only write one every week to two weeks now. Seriously Bill how hard is it when its all you do?

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 06:34:32 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I think he's trying reverse psychology on the basketball gods.  By reading his stuff throughout the years it's obvious he bleeds green.  He doesn't want to jinx them like he did with the Pats.  He wrote a bad article about Doc and they won the Atlanta series.  Now he's writing something bad about KG after the Cleveland series in order for them to beat Detroit.  I'm onto you Billy Boy and I hope you're right.  He loves KG for crying out loud.