Author Topic: Will Antoine retire a Celtic?  (Read 8120 times)

Will Antoine retire a Celtic?
« on: May 20, 2008, 11:43:27 AM »

Offline 35Reggie

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
He only has 1 year left due to the language of his contract and could possibly be bought out this summer. Personally, I always appreciated what he did to try to bring a championship back to Boston and would love to see him involved in some way, even if he has Gabe Pruitt's current role of wearing a sports jacket during playoff games. Who has given more to this team over the course of their career, Antoine Walker or Brian Scalabrine? I think it would be a classy move to bring him back and allow him to chase a ring here before he's finished as long as his role is similar to Scalabrine's.

Re: Will Antoine retire a Celtic?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 11:45:31 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'd bring Antoine back to fill the M.L. Carr towel waver role, but I don't think Danny wants him near the team.  I think it's very doubtful that Antoine ever becomes a Celtic again, even on a minimum contract.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 11:49:51 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
If he is bought out, it won't be until the trade deadline next year. His expiring contract of 10 million dollars is as valuable as it gets.

If Toine retires a Celtic it will be on a 10 day contract. I'd wager he never plays another game in green.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 11:50:28 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I'll miss the  "Bring Back Twoine Threads" more than I'll ever actually miss the man himself.  I'm all for bring back Twoine' in the Roy's suggested towel waving role.  Not sure how Twoine would feel about that though.
Yup

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 11:52:10 AM »

Offline RonJohn

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7
How about NO~! He is exactly what this team doesn't need. A wild on offsense, zero defense kind of guy. We already have a guy like that. His name is Sam Cassel.

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 11:55:31 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
How about NO~! He is exactly what this team doesn't need. A wild on offsense, zero defense kind of guy. We already have a guy like that. His name is Sam Cassel.

He's fat. We already have a guy like that. His name is Big Baby.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 11:58:58 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
get him back here as a towel waver. he'd have something to offer if motivated, i'm sure of it.  :)

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 12:09:54 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
get him back here as a towel waver. he'd have something to offer if motivated, i'm sure of it.  :)
Would this move Scals to backup towel waver to step in when Twoine gets tired?
Yup

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 12:12:39 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I'd hope so, as one of the last guys off the bench, he could actually be valuable.
do it

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 12:29:00 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
I'll miss the  "Bring Back Twoine Threads" more than I'll ever actually miss the man himself.  I'm all for bring back Twoine' in the Roy's suggested towel waving role.  Not sure how Twoine would feel about that though.

I'm sure he'd much rather be waving a towel in Boston than in 'Sota.

Keep in mind, Miami does NOT win a championship without him.  That was only two years ago.

This guy can still contribute, people.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 12:45:45 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
I"m not sure if you've noticed him but Toine has been in the Garden on multiple occasions in the playoffs. 1st and 2nd row.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 12:45:55 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
No thanks.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 12:57:16 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
From The Boston Herald:

"Pierce laughed at the suggestion that he should buy tickets to the NBA Finals for former teammate Antoine Walker - the same player who famously offered to pay Pierce’s way to the 2006 Finals when he was a member of the Heat.

“No, I’m not getting him a [dang] thing,” Pierce said. “He was at (Game 5 against Cleveland at the Garden) and he didn’t even stop by.”

So that should officially end this thread. The guy was in the building and didn't even stop by to see his boy Paul?
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 12:57:18 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Keep in mind, Miami does NOT win a championship without him.  That was only two years ago.

He's at least 50 lbs heavier than he was at Miami. Someone making his type of money should be embarrassed at the way he has let his body go. Read this article:

Antoine Walker looking to replace Oliver Miller as “Fattest Timberwolf Ever”[/center]

MINNEAPOLIS, MN — New Minnesota Timberwolves forward Antoine Walker says he’s thrilled to join the team and is looking forward to carrying forth the great legacy set by former Timberwolf Oliver Miller, and becoming the fattest Timberwolf in history.

“This is a great franchise, a tremendous franchise, with a lot of history,” Walker said Thursday during a press conference to welcome him to the city. “I hope that I can pick up the baton of great players in Timberwolf history and keep growing that legacy, making the history of Timberwolves basketball bigger and wider and more robust.”

Walker presently weighs about 280 pounds, far short of the 350-plus pounds that Miller was sporting for much of his career. However, Walker is hoping that an extremely sedentary lifestyle, combined with a total lack of exercise from about mid-April until September each year, will allow him to eclipse Miller’s sizeable mark.

“Someday, at the end of the tape measure of Timberwolves basketball history, I hope that they look at me when I walk down the street and say, ‘There goes Antoine Walker, the fattest Timberwolf that ever lived.’”

http://www.serioussportsnewsnetwork.com/2007/10/antoine-walker-looking-to-replace-oliver-miller-as-%E2%80%9Cfattest-timberwolf-ever%E2%80%9D.html

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 01:05:47 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

He's at least 50 lbs heavier than he was at Miami. Someone making his type of money should be embarrassed at the way he has let his body go. Read this article:

Antoine Walker looking to replace Oliver Miller as “Fattest Timberwolf Ever”[/center]

MINNEAPOLIS, MN — New Minnesota Timberwolves forward Antoine Walker says he’s thrilled to join the team and is looking forward to carrying forth the great legacy set by former Timberwolf Oliver Miller, and becoming the fattest Timberwolf in history.

“This is a great franchise, a tremendous franchise, with a lot of history,” Walker said Thursday during a press conference to welcome him to the city. “I hope that I can pick up the baton of great players in Timberwolf history and keep growing that legacy, making the history of Timberwolves basketball bigger and wider and more robust.”

Walker presently weighs about 280 pounds, far short of the 350-plus pounds that Miller was sporting for much of his career. However, Walker is hoping that an extremely sedentary lifestyle, combined with a total lack of exercise from about mid-April until September each year, will allow him to eclipse Miller’s sizeable mark.

“Someday, at the end of the tape measure of Timberwolves basketball history, I hope that they look at me when I walk down the street and say, ‘There goes Antoine Walker, the fattest Timberwolf that ever lived.’”

http://www.serioussportsnewsnetwork.com/2007/10/antoine-walker-looking-to-replace-oliver-miller-as-%E2%80%9Cfattest-timberwolf-ever%E2%80%9D.html

Chief, not saying Twoine's not packing a few extra pounds, but "Serious Sports" is not known for being "Serious". ;)
Yup