Author Topic: Who Should Guard Rip? Ray or Rhondo?  (Read 7221 times)

Who Should Guard Rip? Ray or Rhondo?
« on: May 20, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »

Offline The MadLad

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
i really cant see how we can put Ray on Hamilton after how badly Ray looked on defense vs. Wally. I was joking to friends on how Ray was making Wally look like Rip because of how poorly he was guarding him. Ray was always 2 steps behind. If he couldn't stay with Wally, Rip is going to run him into the ground. Detroit will set screens more often, harder,  and they will be even lower on the block than clevelands were. Ray will be chasing around a faster, quicker shooter, and someone who curls into the lane better. How can he keep up with that after he struggled with Wally?
Also, Ray needs his legs for offense. His shooting % isnt going to get any better by running around so much more chasing Rip.
Rhondo seems to be a better fit chasing Rip around. And Ray (and Sam) would be much more effective in guarding Billups.
i thought that they tried this out in the Reg season, but i havent seen any mention of this in pre-game discussions.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 11:54:01 AM by Redz »

Re: who should gaurd Rip? Ray or Rhondo?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 11:43:23 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Definitely Ray, Rip will abuse and shoot over the top on Rondo down in the post all night long. Recipe for disaster.

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 11:48:43 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Definitely Ray, Rip will abuse and shoot over the top on Rondo down in the post all night long. Recipe for disaster.

I think Billups may be able to do the same thing to rondo.

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 11:49:58 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Pierce. 

Put Ray on Prince.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 11:53:04 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Nowhere near as badly as Rip

At least Rondo has the opportunity to pressure Billups as he brings the ball up the court, and/or as he sets up their halfcourt offense. Rondo gets no advantages defending Rip.

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 11:55:07 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Guess that leaves SAMMY

Have we made a convert of you Mac?
Yup

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 11:55:21 AM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I don't know who would be best guarding Rip, but I totally disagree with the notion that Rip would abuse Rondo. Rip relies on his quickness - Rondo is quicker. Rip is a jump shooter - Rondo has long arms to get a hand in Rip's face. I think Rondo would do well defending Rip. That said, it's not a game of one-on-one and I don't know that that is the best way to match up for 5-on-5.

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 11:57:52 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129

Guess that leaves SAMMY

Have we made a convert of you Mac?

I still love talking basketball and since my Cavs are out I may as well talk Celtics with some good people. 

Re: Who Should Guard Rip? Ray or Rhondo?
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 11:58:29 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I'd like to go big and make Rip guard Pierce or Posey in the low post. If not this, than I'd like Tony Allen to earn his money.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 12:02:25 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I don't know who would be best guarding Rip, but I totally disagree with the notion that Rip would abuse Rondo. Rip relies on his quickness - Rondo is quicker. Rip is a jump shooter - Rondo has long arms to get a hand in Rip's face. I think Rondo would do well defending Rip. That said, it's not a game of one-on-one and I don't know that that is the best way to match up for 5-on-5.

Rip Hamilton spends more time in the post than Billups does. Why take Rondo off Billups because of Chauncey's post advantages to put him on the bigger player who spends more time in the post and is a better post player? That makes no sense.

Rondo is 6-1 and long, Rip is 6-7 and long with high release, quick release. He'll shoot the turnaround J out of the post that he loves all night every night. Rip's only one of the best shooters in the league so that lightly contested shot from about 10 feet probably won't matter ....

It's a recipe for disaster

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 12:06:10 PM »

Offline RonJohn

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7
I think Ray guards Rip but his minutes will get cut. Look for TA to get some run this series and guard RIP.  I am not a TA fan at all, but he has six fouls and can play wing defense. All we need to do is not let him touch the ball on offense!

Rondo is much too small to guard rip. He's giving 35 pounds and 6 inches.

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 12:26:22 PM »

Offline 2Xplosive

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
I wanna see posey on prince for a while and see PP on rip while rondo covers billups. KG is key because of Dice and Perk and Brown should be able to hold off Sheed for a while.

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 12:28:53 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The only thing I'd be weary about with Pierce on Rip would be that Rip runs a lot and through many screens. Pierce will have a tough time staying with him, while expending a ton of energy simply trying to stay with him.

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 12:29:34 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
I think Ray guards Rip but his minutes will get cut. Look for TA to get some run this series and guard RIP.  I am not a TA fan at all, but he has six fouls and can play wing defense. All we need to do is not let him touch the ball on offense!

TA's not too much bigger than Rondo... 6'3".  If we see TA, I think it should be on Billups - he's not going to bite on that upfake all the time (I hope) and he's not dealing with as much of a size mismatch.  That said, I hope Rondo gets 35-45 minutes a night - he's not the offensive liability that TA has turned into this season.

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 12:32:47 PM »

Offline Tommy Gun

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23

Rondo is giving up a few inches but there is no way Hamilton out weighs Rondo by 35 lbs..hamilton is a stick he's got Rondo by 10 or 15 lbs max
See, this is why I'm not allowed to announce NBA games -- I'd be talking in the Cookie Monster voice right now:

Ahhhhhhhhhh ... my knee hurts ... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ... me don't like when my knee hurts ...