Author Topic: Et Tu, Sports Guy? / Bill Simmons questions KG (merged)  (Read 13357 times)

Re: Et Tu, Sports Guy? / Bill Simmons questions KG (merged)
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2008, 05:06:44 PM »

Offline fmf2

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 11
1. Duncan was TERRIBLE last night in the 4th quarter of a game 7. Parker was the one who hit the big shot.
2. BS (appropriate initials) is an egomaniac. His analogy about getting reps is ridiculous. Broadcasting on ESPN is similar to the pressure of playing in a game 7??? Give me a break.

« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2008, 06:32:09 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
1. Duncan was TERRIBLE last night in the 4th quarter of a game 7. Parker was the one who hit the big shot.
2. BS (appropriate initials) is an egomaniac. His analogy about getting reps is ridiculous. Broadcasting on ESPN is similar to the pressure of playing in a game 7??? Give me a break.

I am going to give him a mulligan on this article. I can see his point but disagree.

Ginobli also came up weak in the 4th last night after playing very well for most of the game, but my guess is most would say he is clutch.

« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2008, 06:48:24 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
KG hit two big shots in the last 5 minutes of game 7 in a tight game. Also grabbed the final board after Lebron missed with 20 seconds to go but I guess those are clutch plays.

Seems to me he hit the last two shots in game one in a 4 point game but again not clutch.

Played well in game 5 but again that was when the series was only 2-2 but you guessed it not clutch.

Simmons is the one who isn't even average these play-offs. His articles have been subpar. And this is with only doing one a week or even every two weeks. Seriously how hard is it to come up with a good article hwen you have at least a week to do it?

« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2008, 11:54:20 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
Bad timing for the Simmons article. Kg was huge tonight.

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2008, 12:01:31 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
I wouldn't put it past him to write up some lame excuse about a reverse jinx.  And how he spurred the C's.  He really should stay away from writing about the C's.  Being a fan means taking the good with bad and not crying about every bad turn for your team.  He's a horrible fan of the team which bothers me more than anything he writes about them.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2008, 12:11:24 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
See here is my problem, BSG will claim he's doing his job, picking a POV and going with it, but this: "He's also the reason they might not win the 2008 championship" is lame. Say "He's also the reason they won't win the 2008 championship" instead and I'd generally not have a problem.

why is BILL SIMMONS being too negative on KG?
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2008, 08:52:03 PM »

Offline celtpinoy

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
  • BEAT LA
heard the comments on Celtic Stuff Live...and browsed the article

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3403820

why all the negativity?  ???

Simmons: KG Article thoughts
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2008, 08:54:00 PM »

Offline dorschrm

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 12
For those of you who haven't read it...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3403820

The article is brutally honest.  I hate to read it, but in many ways I do agree with Simmons.  I do hope somehow that there's someone who can show KG this and use it as motivation.  The guy has been my favorite basketball player of all time (since about 6 or 7 years ago), and I have seen this year in and year out.

The one thing I wish is that Simmons had saved this one until after the playoffs were over.  If the C's get eliminated...publish it.  If they win it all...trash it.  The timing is off Bill, I think you jumped the gun on this one.

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
The article, frankly, is silly reactionary hyperbole after a couple of tough series - that the Celtics won.

I've seen them all, and suggesting Garnett isn't "clutch" is simply not supported by the facts. He's been critical on the offensive end to numerous Celtics wins. I wonder if Simmons was paying attention to game 7 with the Cavs: Garnett had two important buckets down the stretch. Plus, can anyone honestly say they didn't want the basketball in Pierce's hands down the stretch? Again, the facts do not support Simmons' assertion.

Plus, boiling "clutch" down to offense is a gross oversimplification. Garnett's intensity does at times get the best of him. But it also is the fuel for the best defensive team in the league, and it's the fuel for the best defender in the league. If you believe the premise of this article, then you believe that a basket is more important than a blocked shot or a stop. I challenge you to find any professional basketball man to accept that premise. There's more to the game than points scored, and this piece makes me wonder if Simmons understands that.

This is a piece for people who don't want to think about the game of basketball in the complete sense. If offense is all you care about, then EVERY player who ever misfired in a key moment isn't "clutch."

This article is a waste of bandwidth.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 09:51:46 PM by CoachBo »
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2008, 10:58:14 PM »

Offline celtpinoy

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
  • BEAT LA
COACHBO....you are right "Garnett's intensity does at times get the best of him"

but good thing, these intensity rubs off to the other players as well....

look at EDDIE HOUSE and Pierce....  ;D