Author Topic: Vecsey on Doc, Shutting Down the Celtics  (Read 3829 times)

Vecsey on Doc, Shutting Down the Celtics
« on: May 20, 2008, 11:09:49 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
In today's NY Post, Pete Vecsey took the following swipe at Doc Rivers:

"I'm no fan of Doc Rivers; as far as I can see the Celtics have no offensive concept and can be rattled on defense as well. But at least Rivers spreads the wealth and often has the right guys on the floor - though he sure forgot about Eddie House late in Game 7 after he came through for him big time early."

He also had this to say about how to stop Boston:

"It should be clear to almost everyone by now - even coaches-turned-TV analysts who will never have the onions to say it on air - that the key to beating the Celtics is clamping down on Paul Pierce at crunch time -as opposed to Kevin Garnett, who's only good for an occasional fade-away from 18.
"This separates KG from the truly great inside players like Tim Duncan, Hakeem, Kareem and Kevin McHale," underlines column contributor Tom Hagarty who wants it understood he's not denigrating Garnett or comparing him in any way to Mel Counts."

While I don't agree with him that Doc does not have an offensive system, I do agree that Doc gets rattled, or brainlocked, in critical junctures during the game. I also think that Doc is often below average in putting in the right guys, waiting too long before going with the obvious choice, and not experimenting enough. e.g., not enough EH sooner (totally absent during the ATL series, and only became a factor starting in game 5 of CLE series) or T Allen (still not given a sniff of meaningful minutes).

I think he oversimplifies how to beat Boston. I think what Paul has shown is an ability to find the open guy when he gets double teamed. I do think that we will see more of the offense running through Paul for the foreseeable future, so long as he does not become a turnover machine. Game 7 worked because Pierce managed to keep his turnovers down while handling the ball. I am not very confident that trend will continue, however, based on his history.

Re: Vecsey on Doc, Shutting Down the Celtics
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 11:18:29 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Same old Vescey a lot of facts mixed in with hyperbole.  At worst though he knows about 10X as much about basketball than our boy Simmons would ever hope to know.  So when he questions Doc I actually take note.  But I'll give him credit he was right on money about Sam.  Of course we agreed so maybe thats hyperbole as well.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 11:34:30 AM »

Offline Tommy Gun

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
I think the key to Garnett is to get him going early..Just like Pierce..If Garnett is having a passive game you can't expect him to take over in the 4th quarter..

But if you have gotten him involved the entire game he is a different player..He also has'nt received many calls when he gets banged around in the post either fighting for position or after he gets the ball. Duncan gets those calls

Instead of settling for 20 footers he has to take the extra dribble and make a 15 footer
See, this is why I'm not allowed to announce NBA games -- I'd be talking in the Cookie Monster voice right now:

Ahhhhhhhhhh ... my knee hurts ... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ... me don't like when my knee hurts ...

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 11:39:05 AM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Yeah, leaving Garnett to one-on-one coverage in the post worked great for the Cavs in game 1.   ::)

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 11:42:46 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
"I'm no fan of Doc Rivers; as far as I can see the Celtics have no offensive concept and can be rattled on defense as well. But at least Rivers spreads the wealth and often has the right guys on the floor - though he sure forgot about Eddie House late in Game 7 after he came through for him big time early."

I think that's an inaccurate assessment of Doc.  First, I think by and large the Celtics do have a good offensive plan, it has just stalled in these playoffs (and Doc wasn't making sufficient adjustments until Game 7 to combat that).

I also think Doc isn't to blame for any "rattling" of our defense, which I haven't really noticed.  Our defensive concept is a very strong one, and if the players don't perform it, that doesn't fall on Doc's shoulders.

On the other hand, I disagree that Doc often puts the right players out there at the right times.  Doc's rotation issues have been discussed ad nauseum, and I won't repeat them here, but I think it's odd that that would be listed as a strength.  This reeks of Vescey watching one or two games, and drawing conclusions.

As for KG not being a true inside player or a superstar scorer, it's not like that's anything too revolutionary.  KG has played well in the playoffs, though; he just needs help.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 11:46:13 AM »

Offline RonJohn

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7
Doc is not a great Xs & Os coach or a rotation guy which could be the downfall of this team. However, he is a good people manager. I say the former sentence begrudgingly, because I can't stand Doc as coach of the Celtics.

On the Garnett front, nothing is more aggravating than watching him pass the ball in the waning minutes of the fourth quarter when he is in the paint. You think he would have the semblance of a post game considering he is 6'11''. For once, I would like to see him roll to the basket on the pick and roll and jam it down.

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 01:44:48 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I agree with a lot of what Vecsey is saying.  I remember when he was on NBA TV right after we signed Cassell.  He was totally against the signing and said the Celtics should go with House and the players that got them the best record.  He thought Cassell would ruin the chemistry (same thing Heinson said, as he didn't like the signing either).

Benching House in favor of Cassell is probably why he is being hard on Doc.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 02:21:30 PM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 136
I agree with Vecsey concerning Doc's coaching ability. If BJ Brown contributes 8 points instead of 10, Doc would a major topic today. Paul Pierce is a mixed bag. I still maintain for every postive Paul gives he eventually takes it back with a negative.(He gets 41 the man he guards gets 45.) We survived his mental laps defensively on the late 3 and his ability to backspin in a crucial foul shot. I do believe PP's attitude is better sense the arrival of KG. Garnett is the man that has mentally turned this team around both for Doc amd Pierce. 

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 04:25:15 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
How is playing LeBron nearly to a draw listed as a negative?  LeBron is one of the top two players in the NBA.  Taking him on head-to-head and not getting embarrassed is an accomplishment - taking him on and nearly matching him point for point could be included in the argument for his best game this year.

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 04:33:47 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
In today's NY Post, Pete Vecsey took the following swipe at Doc Rivers:

He also had this to say about how to stop Boston:

"It should be clear to almost everyone by now - even coaches-turned-TV analysts who will never have the onions to say it on air - that the key to beating the Celtics is clamping down on Paul Pierce at crunch time -as opposed to Kevin Garnett, who's only good for an occasional fade-away from 18.
"This separates KG from the truly great inside players like Tim Duncan, Hakeem, Kareem and Kevin McHale," underlines column contributor Tom Hagarty who wants it understood he's not denigrating Garnett or comparing him in any way to Mel Counts."

What's his CelticsBlog name?

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 05:00:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Whose?

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 05:02:26 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Whose?

Vecsey's - never mind, bad joke.

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 05:05:30 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't get why everyone is on KG.  His averages in the Cle series were 20 pts, 11 rebs, 3 assts, 1 st, 1 block, 1 to, 39 minutes.  His best game was game 5 (26 pts, 13 rebs, 4 asst, 3 blocks, 2 steals) and game 5 was nearly as much of a must win big game as game 7.  Cle had a stable of big long athletic guys to put out there on him.  I think KG is going to be just fine against Detroit and I fully expect him to keep up his 20'ish/10'ish numbers as well as defending and otherwise leading in ways that don't show up in the box score.

I know I am a homer (and [dang] proud of it) but what does KG need to do, 30/15?

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 05:30:39 PM »

Offline JS33

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 2
Vecsey was kind enough to be a guest on Celticsstufflive twice within
the last year . The guy is cool and definitely knows BBall and the goings
on in the league .

Some people claim he's full of hot air but I disagree , when asked questions
that he didn't have the answers to , he was upfront and straight forward about
it and didn't try to BS you.

Also Peter usually answers emails sent to him . If you want to argue the merits