San Antonio in 4
San Antonio in 5
San Antonio in 6
San Antonio in 7
Lakers in 4
Lakers in 5
Lakers in 6
Lakers in 7

Author Topic: San Antonio vs LA Lakers - Western Conference Finals  (Read 40997 times)

San Antonio vs LA Lakers - Western Conference Finals
« on: May 20, 2008, 12:27:51 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I'll stick to my guns and pick against the hated Lakers for a 3rd straight. While giving me zero predicting credibility, it just makes me feel good.

Although we're getting to the point where a Lakers/Celtics Final may start to become more than just wishful thinking.  Do you think the NBA will be a little bummed if neither the Celtics or Lakers make it to the Finals?

Spurs showed they still have the edge of the champ in Game 7 vs the Hornets.  I like them to take down the Lakers in 6.
Yup

Re: San Antonio vs LA Lakers - Western Conference Finals
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 12:38:49 AM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
I'll stick to my guns and pick against the hated Lakers for a 3rd straight. While giving me zero predicting credibility, it just makes me feel good.

Although we're getting to the point where a Lakers/Celtics Final may start to become more than just wishful thinking.  Do you think the NBA will be a little bummed if neither the Celtics or Lakers make it to the Finals?

Spurs showed they still have the edge of the champ in Game 7 vs the Hornets.  I like them to take down the Lakers in 6.

We are blessed with 2 exciting conference championship matchups.  You are right that the Lakers haven't run into a buzz saw like the Spurs yet.  And I don't care about a Celtics-Lakers Finals, I just want Lakers to lose.  Still, I'm not ready to predict the outcome of the Western championship.

But I can't wait to watch it!!!

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 09:26:02 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Another terrible matchup for Kurt Thomas.

This series could be decided by how aggressive Lamar Odom is. If he gives LA that third go-to scoring option they should win because they're better at just about everything after that. Kurt is going to have to find a way to contribute - offensive rebounding. It's going to be very difficult for him because LO runs the floor brilliantly and leads the fastbreak from time to time. Even if Kurt is attacking the glass he likely will give up as much as he gets against the Lakers fastbreak.

The wonders of Kurt Thomas. He's just the wrong fit next to Duncan. Kurt simply isn't quick enough to guard bigs that can play away from the rim, it puts so much unneccessary pressure on the Spurs D.

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 04:12:07 PM »

Offline MizzouMerlin

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 8
While every Spurs fan wishes Kurt Thomas was more athletic, heck, you can say that about most Spurs players, what other options do the Spurs have? There is no way Fabricio Oberto can defend Odom. Udoka is too short and Horry too slow. Odom presents a major match up problem. The Spurs biggest weakness on defense is trying to defend long 3's/small 4's. Look at Dirk Nowitzki or David West's success the past few years against San Antonio. However, Odom is known for shrinking under pressure. Can he come through for seven straight games under the biggest spotlight of his career? I'm not sure. I think he is the biggest x-factor in the entire series and will probably dictate which team wins. Either way, it should be a great series.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 04:14:58 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
bittersweet victory last night for me. while i much prefer n'awlins to san antonio, i feel as though they'd have no chance beating the lakers. but i think the spurs will eliminate the lakers. which is what's important in the west in my opinion.

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 11:02:05 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Lakers finally showing some life here ... could be a great 4th quarter! Six points, and the Spurs haven't scored in over three minutes ... we got a game!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 11:02:57 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wow.  What a run by the Lakers right now. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 11:05:44 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Wow ... Kobe just burned Ginobili big time ... that was sweet! Problem is, the Spurs are hitting again. I think the 4th will be tight.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 11:06:10 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Looks like Gasol and Kobe are playing pitch and catch out there right now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 11:08:33 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
spurs still gonna win...

everybody and they momma wanna see lakers and celtics championship game but la cant hang with san

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 11:08:53 PM »

Offline Las Vegas Asian

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6

We are blessed with 2 exciting conference championship matchups.  You are right that the Lakers haven't run into a buzz saw like the Spurs yet.  And I don't care about a Celtics-Lakers Finals, I just want Lakers to lose.  Still, I'm not ready to predict the outcome of the Western championship.

But I can't wait to watch it!!!

Come on Spurs steal Game 1!!! I HATE LA!!!!!  >:(

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 11:19:21 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Personally, I'd love to see the Celtics/Lakers rivalry renewed ... we'd blow them away! I hate both of these teams - the Lakers because of Kobe and our history, and the Spurs because of their flopping, whining, dirty play - between the two, I'd much rather see the Lakers in a Finals rematch for the ages! (Kobe has had big problems with Pierce in the past as well, and I love that match-up)

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 11:22:51 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Man ... I hate to see Bowen on the floor ... that schmuck should be in prison!

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 11:24:02 PM »

Offline CelticsPrideKG

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
I don't think anyone should be hoping the Spurs take this series.  While I understand the logic and would LOVE to see KG get a ring head-to-head against Duncan and the Celtics team in general take down the champs . . . logic tells me to pull for LA.

San Antonio is probably the smartest and calmest team in the NBA.  They simply have a "been there, done that" attitude that allows them to play well at critical points in games/series.  I am confident we would have a good shot at winning either potential series (if we can get past Detroit) but I would take LA's suspect defense and KG vs. Gasol anyday over the San Antonio defense and the match up problems that series could create.

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 11:25:05 PM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
I like what pop is doing now, trying to get his team to the line to swing the pace of the game back into the hands of the Spurs!

The last 6-7 mins has been played on the Lakers tempo, the Lakers cannot win a half court game against the spurs but i think the fact that pop should have been calling more TO's during the Laker run, he let them play it out for way to long during the 3rd.

Under 10 is Kobe land, this is still anyones game.
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird