Author Topic: Jon Lester's No Hitter  (Read 12725 times)

Re: Jon Lester 5/18.........
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2008, 10:19:33 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
4 no hitters caught by Varitek!

The Red Sox had gone my entire lifetime without one til Nomo got his no-no.  Really amazing how the fortunes have changed for this franchise.

Awesome night for Lester.  Loved the moment with Francona.

Though I have to say, those were some serious scrubs KC was lining up for the killin' tonight.

That's true but 22 years later people talk about how Clemens struck out 20 in one game. They never mention the fact that the Seattle team he was facing were made up of a group of free swinging strikeout prone hitters and a bunch of nobodies that went nowhere. That team was awful. As was the Tigers team Clemens got his second 20 strikeout game versus.

History remembers the accomplishment not the quality of the foe.

Actually have heard that quite a bit. Not every time so i get your point.  Clemens has other problems that will diminish those things even more

Re: Jon Lester's No Hitter
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2008, 11:08:54 PM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96
I wonder how many teams in major league history have ever had two of their starting pitchers be under the age of 25 and have no-hitters on their resume.

Simply amazing. And we could see more of these. Lester already had a 1 hitter through 8 innings earlier in the year that he got a no decision on.

And yet the Mets still have yet to throw a no-hitter in their history. That was 1 and 1a with the Tampa Bay Buc's never having returned a kickoff for a touchdown in their history though they finally erased that. Now its the Mets on top of bizarre never happened in sports history.

And hating not living in Boston for having not been able to see this one.

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2008, 11:24:02 PM »

Offline cavman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
I'm very happy for Jon Lester.  A great feat for a pitcher which even some of the greatest have never done.

I'm a little concerned about the 130 pitches it took, but there's no way you pull a guy with a chance to make that mark.

I don't think it is a mistake that 'Tek has been back there for 4 of these.  It continues to prove his worth and why he has that "C" on the jersey.
"The most important thing is the ability to communicate.  It's not how much you know.  It's how you communicate what you know."  Red

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2008, 11:29:17 PM »

Offline cavman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
Jon needs to keep that ball away from Pap's dog!   :)
"The most important thing is the ability to communicate.  It's not how much you know.  It's how you communicate what you know."  Red

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2008, 11:32:20 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Of course, the first thing I do after the game ends is call up my father.  Anyways, he had no idea it happened.  He fell asleep watching some Western on another channel.  Poor guy.  Diehard Sox fan and 23 year season ticket holder and he's misses it!!!

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2008, 11:35:44 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I keep commenting on this thread, but it was just sooooooo sweet to watch ... and such a hard-working, deserving guy! This really is a wonderful planet at times ... and in the world of Boston sports, life is good indeed!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2008, 11:43:42 PM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Sat behind home plate...great game

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2008, 11:44:12 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
Scribblers and Chris,
I'm so glad you helped Lester throw a no hitter. Your ability of not making posts in this thread has helped Lester throw a no-hitter.

I wish we could still take TPs away.

I loved the way the OP phrased it so that he didn't mention it was a no-hitter.  THAT was worth the Tommy Point.

As soon as I saw the link to "Lester no hitting Royals through seven" I said to myself:  "Yeah, with 155 pitches and 11 walks."  I'm more impressed by the 130 pitches and the 2 walks than not allowing a hit.  Challenging hitters is what is most important to Lester and Dice K.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 11:49:36 PM by Robb »
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2008, 12:38:34 AM »

Offline celticjames24

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
  • I'm Green for Life!!!
This game had me glued to the tv set... just an absolute thriller to watch. And it was even more heartfelt knowing all of the things that Jon Lester has been through in his young life (while he is older than me by 5 yrs, but still) and that he continues to put in the work to get better. This is an instant BoSox classic...
Oh yeah and in case anyone forgot he is one of the kids the Twins were so desperate to get in the trade talks for Santana, and the Sox were unwilling to part with him. Especially after his huge game in Game 4 of the World Series last season... just an absolute solid pitcher and an even better person.
Oh yeah and this season could shape up to be a career year for the lefty. He has already matched last seasons start total (11) and while only being 3-2 he does have an ERA of 3.41 which is also a career best mark. This was his first career complete game and shutout. Furthermore he has more IP than last season, he has also given up less hits, less earned runs, and less home runs while having not hit a batter yet this season. Which are all better numbers than last season in roughly the same amount of innings worked. Sure he has the same amount of walks and a coupled less strikeouts but he is most def putting in his best overall season to date. Props to Lester and LETS GO RED SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Once a Celtics fan, always a Celtics fan. Celtics4Life!

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2008, 02:16:21 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
Oh yeah and in case anyone forgot he is one of the kids the Twins were so desperate to get in the trade talks for Santana, and the Sox were unwilling to part with him. Especially after his huge game in Game 4 of the World Series last season... just an absolute solid pitcher and an even better person.

I haven't forgotten, and I'd still make that deal today.  One no-hitter, while a GREAT accomplishment, doesn't make a lick of a dent into Johan Santana's body of work.

I'd be a lot more comfortable if we never mentioned that deal again.  None of the Clay Buchholz, Jacoby Ellsbury and Jon Lester crowd need the "We could have had Johan with you" tag on their heads.

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2008, 03:55:49 AM »

Offline PrimusSucks

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 88
I'm very happy for Jon Lester.  A great feat for a pitcher which even some of the greatest have never done.

I'm a little concerned about the 130 pitches it took, but there's no way you pull a guy with a chance to make that mark.

I don't think it is a mistake that 'Tek has been back there for 4 of these.  It continues to prove his worth and why he has that "C" on the jersey.

Let's not forget the Curt Schilling 8 2/3 no-hitter, where Schilling shook off Tek, only to give up a hit on the next pitch.

Tek seems underappreciated by the majority of MLB fans. Catching requires so much more than any other position in baseball. It is no surprise that catchers tend to be the position most tapped to manage teams.

it will be a sad day when the Red Sox have to replace Tek.

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2008, 07:35:09 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
Let's not forget the Curt Schilling 8 2/3 no-hitter, where Schilling shook off Tek, only to give up a hit on the next pitch.

Tek seems underappreciated by the majority of MLB fans. Catching requires so much more than any other position in baseball. It is no surprise that catchers tend to be the position most tapped to manage teams.

If I ran a ball club and had a manager position open, I'd hire him the day he retired.  I think he's going to make a great manager.  I hope they put him right back on the bench when he's done playing.

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2008, 07:45:54 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

If I ran a ball club and had a manager position open, I'd hire him the day he retired.  I think he's going to make a great manager.  I hope they put him right back on the bench when he's done playing.
If I were a betting man, I'd lay money down that discussions of this type have already taken place. I am sure Tek has a head manager's job in his future and that it is with the Red Sox.

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2008, 10:21:41 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Yeh, you know a part of Francona had to be begging for Lester to give up a hit so he could  yank him out of a game they clearly had in hand.
Yup